• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
They have better internet than Australia does (Malcolm Turnbull doesn't mention it anymore - it's inconvenient).
I can vouch for this. Fibre connections are relatively cheap. Those who don't or can't have fibre seem to have VDSL more than ADSL. (Admittedly I am basing this on an unscientific small sample.)

Of course, NZ has some advantages in terms of physical size of the network.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't get why Tilse is starting this game and last week's game. Maybe they are trying to rest Fat Cat. But if Tilse was up to starting at the Super Rugby level, wouldn't we know by now? He's been in the squad for years.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Played exceptionally well in the sporting capital of the western world, ie, Wagga Wagga, last week. The rest of the pack'll be competing for the other winger's spot.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From the clip I saw, Robinson has wheels - outrunning some of those Chiefs backs is no mean feat.

But stop the chip kicks!

Agree about the chip kicks. Robinson running off Folau, running off Beale / Foley. Could be handy. Now, as long as he gets the structure of defence in rugby, and can show some tactical kicking nous. Anyway, shows some promise so far.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I can vouch for this. Fibre connections are relatively cheap. Those who don't or can't have fibre seem to have VDSL more than ADSL. (Admittedly I am basing this on an unscientific small sample.)

Of course, NZ has some advantages in terms of physical size of the network.

Their population topography in terms of backhaul is similar to ours though.

Once you exclude far-flung parts, and yes rural people I realise this sucks, but its reality, population density along the backbone isn't going to be much different.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm probably a little late on this, but what the fuck is with our new jersey? Canterbury have been on the money with their designs for the past couple years, but this new one looks like arse... especially that big fucking outline of the state. I mean FFS we're the Waratahs - that's our state flower. We don't need to spell it out any further surely.

Reactions: mjw
T

TOCC

I don't understand the state outline either, if it was a case of still sorting out the sponsorship details then they should have just left it blank, that would have looked far better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
NZ's internet is better than Australia's? LOL. Given that our internets is sub third world standard, you lot must be using string and party cups, or something.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
From the clip I saw, Robinson has wheels - outrunning some of those Chiefs backs is no mean feat.

But stop the chip kicks!
Yeah, he's the fastest Tah player ATM

I'm probably a little late on this, but what the fuck is with our new jersey? Canterbury have been on the money with their designs for the past couple years, but this new one looks like arse. especially that big fucking outline of the state. I mean FFS we're the Waratahs - that's our state flower. We don't need to spell it out any further surely.

Relax, man. The outline of state is just for the preseason games

T

TOCC

B Foley having a rest for about a month with a shoulder injury

Shock horror... Il say it again but these Flexi-contracts getting thrown about are fools gold.

Some people will probably criticise this and claim it could happen to anyone, but there is a scientifically proven link between physical conditioning and susceptibility to injuries. Foley hasn't had an offseason to recover and let injuries heal, and Foley hasn't had a preseason to rebuild strength that was lost during week to week games and improve on areas of weakness. Injuries were and are inevitable, it won't be his last for the season.

It was a major blessing for the Tahs that Folau failed his Japan medical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I've never seen anyone argue against that but ok

There were a few on here who didn't think the workload of the flexible contracts was a big deal, admittedly this was in reference to Folau's flexi-contract and not Foley's.

I don't see the big deal, he'll just need rests throughout the season like the NZRU and SARU already implement. Missing a couple games is better than playing none at all.

IMO the policy on flexi contacts should be that the players take a minimum of a 6 week break between the end of the Japanese season and there first game at Super Rugby, firstly to have a mental break and then a mini pre-season before they get considered for Super Rugby selection. Sure it would mean they aren't available for the first 5 rounds, but they are available for the majority of the Super Rugby Season, including finals and the June Test Series.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
IMO the policy on flexi contacts should be that the players take a minimum of a 6 week break between the end of the Japanese season and there first game at Super Rugby, firstly to have a mental break and then a mini pre-season before they get considered for Super Rugby selection. Sure it would mean they aren't available for the first 5 rounds, but they are available for the majority of the Super Rugby Season, including finals and the June Test Series.

I get to say it depends on the individual player's body, many would much rather be playing than do a pre season of running hills

Correlation does not imply causation

The challenge is that we instantly jump to the conclusion that any injury of a player in this situation is down to player load.

Whereas he may have just fallen badly

I would prefer to see decent, independent ARU physicals being part of the protocols before a player is free to play for all centrally contracted players.

Actually would be amazed if this isn't essentially in place at the clubs right now

Status
Not open for further replies.