• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah. Not like players never get injured in pre-season without a flexi. Look at the Chiefs - already lost a few.

Pocock injured three games into a season. Can't blame flexi contracts - just dumb fucking luck.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It will be interesting to see how Ben McCalman goes injury wise when he comes back. Foley had a pretty enormous rugby work load last year- Super Rugby semi-finals plus RC and all the RWC games bar one. I think McCalman only played a handful of tests and mostly off the bench.

Is anyone else on a flexible contract now that Folau's got cancelled?

T

TOCC

Sure you could argue this injury was 'just dumb fucking luck', and it may very well be that.

But at some point the ARU and the Super Rugby clubs need to take responsibility for the players health, what they are trying to achieve through these flexi-contracts defies dozens and likely hundreds of studies which state a players physical and mental fatigue is intrinsically linked to injuries. We were told that player fatigue would be managed through rest periods, yet here Foley is running out for the Tahs barely 2 weeks after his last game in Japan.

In comparison to the way the NZRU are handling things, when Dan Carter was allowed to sign with Perpignan, he was given a break from the game and wasn't required back in the selection frame until June the following year. Or In more recent times Carter and McCaw have been paid to take sabbaticals form the game where they didn't play any rugby at all.

Is anyone else on a flexible contract now that Folau's got cancelled?

Foley: 2016-2017
Lealifano: 2016-2017 & 2017-2018

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Cummins did have one last year, and McCalman has one now..........

Isn't it only one player per team eligible?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cummins had the opposite as far as I'm aware. He signed a 2 year deal in Japan, and his side over there let him play Super Rugby between Seasons.

Lilo will have one between 2016 and 2017. Did Inman have one for us? Went on a World Cup joker contract to Toulon.

T

TOCC

In terms of ARU Flexi-contracts, there's been 4 so far and that's Folau, McCalman, Foley and Lealifano.

I think To'omua and Gill were offered one but declined, and by the sounds of it Pocock has been offered one as well.

As highlander mentioned Cummins was on something similar, but not strictly a Flexi contract. He was released by his Japanese club to play in Australia and not the other way around.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fardy was the Brumbies player eligible for a flexible contract last season..........

Each Australian Super Rugby club is only allowed one flexible contract and Scott Fardy currently fills the Brumbies' slot, but the flanker decided to have a rest after the World Cup rather than extend a long playing year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMO the policy on flexi contacts should be that the players take a minimum of a 6 week break between the end of the Japanese season and there first game at Super Rugby, firstly to have a mental break and then a mini pre-season before they get considered for Super Rugby selection. Sure it would mean they aren't available for the first 5 rounds, but they are available for the majority of the Super Rugby Season, including finals and the June Test Series.

Yep the Kiwis nailed it. The Crusaders pretty much went without Dan, Richie and Read for the first 2-5 weeks the last 5 seasons.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Foley gone with bum shoulder for a month after trial match.

The Bulls' Pollard out for the season after training mishap.

What do they have in common? Sushi, Yakitori, Geisha's and Sake.

These players are not letting their bodies rest.

Jackpot also out for a few weeks at the Sharks after returning filled with Tonkatsu Ramen to the gills.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pollard did return with niggles, but it's not the injury the pulled him out of the season.

Sully, whatever the accuracy of the specifics, the lack of break would seem self apparent and the SA franchises have an outstanding number of players in this category.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Belated, but a report on the last trial from AAP

Coach Daryl Gibson’s rookies left him with more questions than answers following the Waratahs’ 40-35 Super Rugby trial loss to the Highlanders in Queenstown on Friday.

Both teams scored five tries apiece, with All Blacks midfielder Malakai Fekitoa running in three for the home team.

Gibson gave a number of Waratahs newcomers the chance to stake their claim for the season ahead.
Lock Sam Lousi, formerly of the Warriors in the NRL, was one who shone, while former All Black Zac Guildford made the most of his opportunities with a try in the second half.

The performances of some of the younger players have given Gibson some selection headaches ahead of the Waratahs’ season opener at home to the Reds next weekend.

“That’s the whole point of trials in my mind, you’ve got to see if your new guys are up to playing against quality opposition,” Gibson said.

“The more they play, the more you can trust them when you call on them later in the season.”

The former All Blacks centre will have to call on injury cover sooner than he’d like, with first five-eighth Bernard Foley likely to miss at least the first two games of the season after injuring his shoulder in a tackle.

On the plus side, fullback Israel Folau made his return from ankle surgery after the Rugby World Cup without incident, but the Waratahs will return home winless from their New Zealand tour after losing 17-12 to the Chiefs in Rotorua last week.

Nonetheless, Gibson was still satisfied with his team’s pre-season progress, happy with the smooth transition from his predecessor, Wallabies coach Michael Cheika.

Working under Cheika as an assistant coach for three years prior to taking the reins this season had been a real advantage, Gibson said, adding that there’d been no real changes in gameplan.

“You’ve got to use the ball, and use positive ball in hand.

“I think what we’ve tried to do is introduce a bit more to our game as people learn about us. You’ve got to consistently keep ahead of defences and what you see in them.”

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought this was interesting

Angus Ta'avao is set to make his debut for the Waratahs after notching up 48 games for the Blues, but had it not been for Benn Robinson, he might never have made the switch.
When Gibson was scouring the market for a prop, he asked Robinson which opposition players were the toughest to come up against.
Robinson rattled off a few names, but Ta'avao's kept popping up among a number of other players. A few calls were made and the rest is history.
"He [Robinson] made that known to me when I came over, so I probably owe him a couple of beers," Ta'avao said.
Part of the reason Ta'avao made the move to Australia is because he has ambitions of representing the Wallabies. With a father from Samoa and a mother who grew up in Geelong, Ta'avao will use this season to put forward a case to Australian coach Michael Cheika who, he says, has created a "powerful" culture at the Wallabies.
"Every rugby player wants to play the highest level possible. I'd really like to play well for the Tahs first and that's my sole focus, but if that call comes I'm willing to put my hand up for it," Ta'avao said.
Gibson likes what he seen this year from Ta'avao, describing him as a "big personality and good character".
"He's excited about the opportunity to perhaps play further, not just us, but for the Wallabies," Gibson said. "He's slotted straight into our team. He's a player who's been in the shadows … he's been waiting for an opportunity where he can be No.1."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/waratahs/nsw-waratahs-coach-daryl-gibson-says-kurtley-beales-newfound-maturity-will-hold-him-in-good-stead-20160224-gn2gb7.html#ixzz417DqYmDf

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Pollard did return with niggles, but it's not the injury the pulled him out of the season.

Maybe but we will never really know. They are not resting up. Little niggles are not getting time to heal. Talk to a people who know about this stuff and they will explain to you how the body compensates. That is when other things start breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.