• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The Waraths (See - staying on topic!!!) are stronger by having a depth of potential below NRC and Super Rugby. The Shute Shield fulfils that role.
At a community level, Shute Shield rugby delivers local enthusiasm for rugby.
It is well worth while persevering with and deserving of funding.

Was interesting earlier in the year when we didn't have any props by the looks of it and quite a few of the Shute Shield props that have been ignored for the last 3 or 4 seasons were propping up some of the best scrums in the country!

T

Train Without a Station

But why should they have DO's funded by the national body or the state association?

The GCDRU for example had to fund their DO through their own district affiliation fees. I think Brendan Hume's experience in his region is very similar.

If anything funding should be going to the JID, Dewar Shield and the Perth comp to bring them up to Shute Shield standard. That would make the talent pool essentially twice as strong. But I don't advocate that.

With regards to these best scrums in the country, not sure what you are talking about.

The Reds first choice front row was Daley/Slipper, Fainga'a/Ready, Holmes. The Brumbies was Sio, Moore, Alexander. The Rebels has been Smith, Hanson, Weeks.

I don't think any of those players have played much Shute Shield in the last 4 years.

Players like Makin (JID I think) and Talakai are doing well as reserve options though, certainly.

T

Train Without a Station

Sorry, I neglected to mention Mike A (Crusaders) and Allan A (Brumbies) doing well as reserve options.

T

Train Without a Station

Unless they have a claim to being one of the best scrums in the country, I'm not sure it's entirely relevant.

I do remember their prop Jed Gillespie getting a contract with the Rebels but failing to get any game time. No other franchise has since picked him up and proven their decision to let him go a bad one yet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So is Kepu returning home to the Tahs and will he play this season?

Assuming that's where he is ending up the Tahs could presumably add him as an injury replacement for Benn Robinson for the rest of this season.

Likewise it would seem Taqele is an injury replacement for KB (Kurtley Beale).

Brad Wilkin is also out for the season so someone could technically be an injury replacement for him.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
You can.appeal to SANZAAR but you need to justify it I.e. There would need to be no one left in the squad.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Though I think there may be an exemption if enough players are injured. Someone's probably lining up Ta'avao's knee with a crowbar as we speak

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Unless they have a claim to being one of the best scrums in the country, I'm not sure it's entirely relevant.

I do remember their prop Jed Gillespie getting a contract with the Rebels but failing to get any game time. No other franchise has since picked him up and proven their decision to let him go a bad one yet.

Yes, I am saying exactly that. Their scrum routinely beats allcomers in the Shute Shield, including the "star-studded" University pack studded with Soup players.

Gillespie's failure at the Rebels proves something, but it certainly does not prove there are not some bloody good front-rowers in Shute Shield who have not been picked up.

Ask the Crusaders what they think.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sekope Kepu is a Waratah for two more years!

This could be good news for young Robertson. The dreaded second year blues loom along with young Tom's very busy schedule of professional rugby training alongside full-time medical studies, it's all gotta catch up with him sooner or later. Learning from an old pro like Kepu will prove invaluable. Ta'avao is now injury cover, which every squad needs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Though I think there may be an exemption if enough players are injured. Someone's probably lining up Ta'avao's knee with a crowbar as we speak

If that was the case it would Tilse, Ta'avao has been pretty good the last few weeks

T

Train Without a Station

Wamberal how does routinely beating a scrum full of players who form the Waratahs scrum which has been routinely outscrummed by other teams make Eastwood one of the best in Australia?

It shows they wouldn't be the worst Super Rugby scrum certainly. How do the Rams perform against stronger packs like Bris City for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.