• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shute Shield seems to be a level where pot plant props are more beneficial than they are at Super Rugby level.

It seems the upside of having a really strong scrum at club rugby level against the downside of having a couple of players who don't add much around the park is a good trade off. Certainly the pace of the game means sides can get away with it to a greater degree.

At Super Rugby level the teams with average scrums seem to get found out less and the need to have everyone contributing around the field weighs more heavily.

At least that's my observation.

Yes, and typically those sides with a couple of pot plants also have a few Soup players sprinkled in to help with around-the-field.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Rumours are TPN is going overseas next year.

Tahs hlook pretty well stocked at hooker, and have apparently signed Damian Fitzpatrick as well.

Ed Craig looks the goods, too. No way the Tahs can keep them all (plus Dave Porecki, potentially).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Benn Robinson has retired.

Sad that he has had to call time on his career sooner than he wanted but there's no doubt it was a brilliant and long career.

148 Super Rugby games makes him the most capped Waratah ever and he's the equal second most capped Wallaby prop of all time.

What a legend!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Robbo used to come down and run water for our 4th grade Subbies side, such a great bloke. Also came to our training in his own time to help with scrums and lineouts. Approachable, good to talk to, everything a Wallaby should be.

Hope he is given a great send-off by the Waratah crowd next home game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Robbo used to come down and run water for our 4th grade Subbies side, such a great bloke. Also came to our training in his own time to help with scrums and lineouts. Approachable, good to talk to, everything a Wallaby should be.

He and Ben Alexander were a pretty handy of props in their early days in the blue and white.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Funny bastard too - had a few words with him after a Rams game and I think it was shortly after some selection news broke. He had a fucking glint in his eye that day, and wasn't afraid to drop a couple of clangers. Cheeky bastard :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck today. Seriously. Watched the Cat give his farewell presser and nearly welled up myself. How much does that bloke care about the game? Fucking fuckity fuck.

From the Tahs' FB feed:

13346944_10153800433797144_1396755632266933974_n.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can I also point out that, many moons ago, I was sitting with either Lindommer or Lee Grant (maybe both) at a Tahs game, when Robinson was in his early days.

As a loosehead prop myself, I'd watched him closely, and understood - with no small amount of awe - just how good he was going to be. I vociferously pointed this out to the esteemed gentleman in my vicinity.

So it was said, and so it proved.

The moral to the story: if you want to argue rugby with me, you're more than welcome. Just be forewarned, you're bringing a plastic teaspoon to a knife fight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can I also point out that, many moons ago, I was sitting with either Lindommer or Lee Grant (maybe both) at a Tahs game, when Robinson was in his early days.

As a loosehead prop myself, I'd watched him closely, and understood - with no small amount of awe - just how good he was going to be. I vociferously pointed this out to the esteemed gentleman in my vicinity.

So it was said, and so it proved.

The moral to the story: if you want to argue rugby with me, you're more than welcome. Just be forewarned, you're bringing a plastic teaspoon to a knife fight.

I had a similar experience with Stephen Hoiles.

It was the under 12s and despite my team being better than his team, it was clear that Hoiles was a standout. I could tell from that moment that despite rugby still being amateur and him not having calves, Hoiles was going to become a professional and play for Australia. Furthermore, even with Foxtel not existing yet, I could tell he was destined to become a part time sideline commentator and general bozo for Sean Maloney to take the piss out of many years down the track on Foxsports.

;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, I played against Scott Johnson growing up (losing every game :( ) he was 6 steps ahead of everyone.

Spacial awareness as a 9 year old is a gift from the devil

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I had a similar experience with Stephen Hoiles.

It was the under 12s and despite my team being better than his team, it was clear that Hoiles was a standout. I could tell from that moment that despite rugby still being amateur and him not having calves, Hoiles was going to become a professional and play for Australia. Furthermore, even with Foxtel not existing yet, I could tell he was destined to become a part time sideline commentator and general bozo for Sean Maloney to take the piss out of many years down the track on Foxsports.

;)

Accountancy is wasted on you. Should have been a lawyer with that level of bullshit ;)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Speaks volumes for Benn Robinson the man that so many of his fans give give him simultaneous kudos and deprecating humour.
Let's hope he can keep scrum education going in some sort of role in Australia.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Can I also point out that, many moons ago, I was sitting with either Lindommer or Lee Grant (maybe both) at a Tahs game, when Robinson was in his early days. As a loosehead prop myself, I'd watched him closely, and understood - with no small amount of awe - just how good he was going to be. I vociferously pointed this out to the esteemed gentleman in my vicinity.

Bit rough on His Ancientness there Pfitzy, LG knows quite a bit about rugby. :D

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not being able to leave a sport on your terms sucks. I know from experience. I can only assume it would suck more for an elite athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.