• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Prop question. Would having Kepu switch back to loosehead work? Right now the Tahs have Robertson, Kepu and Ta'avao at THP and Ryan at loosehead. Frankly I think someone has to switch, and I'd rather have Robertson starting than Ryan.
Ryan has looked better and better at LHP for the Tahs as the season went on, despite not being the archetypal body type for that side. Certainly gave them more options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
+1. In fact I'd opine Paddy's played better at LHP this season than he ever did in the 3 jumper.

T

TOCC

Playing Kepu at LHP would be at the detriment of the Wallabies, would be an incredibly selfish decision if the Waratahs were to do that

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That should be good for the wallabies, having their best and most experienced THP playing the entire Super Rugby season at LHP.

Excellent.
I wouldn't be thinking it's Waratah selection policy based on the musings of a poster here just yet.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't see any problem with Robertson playing off the bench. It means they can play Kepu less minutes and get more out of him. They could switch every 5th game or so and give Kepu a bit of a break. Ryan is coming along with his scrummaging at LHP. I think Sydney Uni are a good example of why you shouldn't mess around with you're front rowers just to get the best players on the park at the same time.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I commented earlier that I thought Kepu actually started his career as a LHP, and moved to THP as Benny Robbo occupied the LHP job.
The point is, if Tom Robbo contuinues to improve as he did this season, he could quickly become the best THP in the country, in which case it would seem silly to have him coming off the bench, particularly when Ta'avao grew into that role pretty well as the season went on.
We probably need to see how it plays out, but with Benny retired and Tilse finished, suddenly LHP becomes the spot where we need a man.

T

Train Without a Station

Best THP in the country?

Fuck me. Let's let the bloke play a full season, and actually start against ALL the strong scrummaging teams first.

For example, the only strong scrum the Waratahs faced in their last 7 games were the crusaders. It's not surprising their best performances in scrummaging came during that period.

Let's see him replicate it against the Reds, Highlanders, etc. next year before we start talking about best in his position.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Not saying he is at this point, just that I think he has the potential to go there. Let's face it, with Holmes going overseas, we don't have many top level THP's apart from Kepu.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ryan has looked better and better at LHP for the Tahs as the season went on, despite not being the archetypal body type for that side. Certainly gave them more options.

Ta'avao played a bit of LHP as well

I expect up to start with Ryan & Kepu, and finishing with Ta'avao & Robinson. It actually gives us the great ability to cycle them and manage their game time

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm hoping the Tahs can land Godwin. They are desperate for a left footer and they must have plenty of cap space to equal or better the Brumbies offer.

Godwin's playing in the NRC for NSW Country Eagles - perhaps an indication he'll be coming to the Tahs next season?

We've also picked up Cam Clarke in the backs. A few 7s players are signing to Super franchies now - is this them leaving the sport after the Olympics cycle or is it ARU intervention?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Godwin's playing in the NRC for NSW Country Eagles - perhaps an indication he'll be coming to the Tahs next season?

We've also picked up Cam Clarke in the backs. A few 7s players are signing to Super franchies now - is this them leaving the sport after the Olympics cycle or is it ARU intervention?

On the team lost it has him as alogned with the Brumbies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Matchday Squad for next season:

1. Ryan
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Mumm
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Godwin (maybe?)
13. Folau
14. Clarke / Naiyaravoro / Jones / Clunies-Ross
15. Kellaway

16. Robertson
17. Roach
18. Ta'avao
19. Hanigan
20. Wells
21. Lucas
22. Hegarty
23. Horwitz / Stewart

Not a bad team overall - perhaps a bit light on lock / backrow cover (not sold on Hanigan and don't know much about Wells).

Dozens of permutations aswell - if we don't secure Godwin we could shift Hegarty to fullback as the second playmaker in the team, put Kellaway on the wing (I prefer him here) instead of Horne and shift Horne into the 12 jersey.

Or Stewart / Horwitz could play 12 etc.

Ahh, so it does. It'll be interesting to see who wears the 12 jersey next year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....perhaps a bit light on lock/backrow cover (not sold on Hanigan and don't know much about Wells).

Hanigan (sic) is a very fine rugby player. Ned's the prince-in-waiting to another of our better contributors for the Wallabies, ie, Fardy. The contribution and effect a good 7 6 has to any team's success is much under-rated, lineouts especially.

Can we all get his name right for starters.

corrected

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hanigan (sic) is a very fine rugby player. Ned's the prince-in-waiting to another of our better contributors for the Wallabies, ie, Fardy. The contribution and effect a good 7 has to any team's success is much under-rated, lineouts especially.

Can we all get his name right for starters.

Picking him for the Wallabies already, eh? Hmmm, dunno. Many have fallen twixt club and country.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

If he hasn't signed for the ponies, he must be at least thinking about jumping, no Lilo and no To'omua means playing outside a very newbie 10.

With Larkham's safety first track record he may never see the ball

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Saw an article in another publication speculating who may fill the vacancies left by the departing Waratahs. Seems the Tahs might need a centre and a Lock. Guess those will be filled by the latest batch of Under 20 players. Thoughts?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If he hasn't signed for the ponies, he must be at least thinking about jumping, no Lilo and no To'omua means playing outside a very newbie 10.

With Larkham's safety first track record he may never see the ball

The ARU ran a story yesterday citing Godwin as a 'new Brumbies recruit,' but it's been taken down......... I assume because the Brumbies have yet to officially announce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.