• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think a pretty solid squad, lacking some decent locks though. I like a front row with Latu and Kepu and a backrow of Holloway and Hooper. Should make for the foundations of a strong pack.

Retaining Phipps, Foley and Folau are all key players, a great start to any backline - but I'd imagine depending how the others perform it could be anything. A strong second play-maker for Foley seems like a missing key piece.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I agree Seb, replacing Beale at 12 is the number 2 issue for the Tahs after finding a couple of locks.
Obviously they won't come up with another Beale, so who for 12? The applicants are Horne - solid player who doesn't let you down, but severe lack of creativity means he's probably better employed further out; Horwitz - showed moments of good, moments of not so good, doesn't look up to it yet but at 21 and in his first year of Super rugby, too early to write him off; Hegarty - a very useful bench player, but didn't show at the Rebels that he's the man; Stewart - too early to say, but realistically probably better employed further out.
It will be interesting

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If Hegarty doesn't step up, we are left with sub standard options.
It's not easy being a coach.
So much easier to sit back and point out the flaws in all his back up plans, than to suggest better back up plans :)
But if I were him I'd be all over Hodge now, get him locked in before the Rebs can extend him.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Andrew Hore's rejection of the Hayne Train today was sounded quite final. Not words you can walk back from, which should appease some lower level supporters, players, administrators, etc who might see a trickle from the rusty tap - or not.

Those words seem to scupper the possibility of a marquee 12 (or QC (Quade Cooper)), or lock, or even LHP - I'm guessing Horwitz and Hegarty are fighting it out for Foley cover and the starting 12. Or Beale stays :)

With questions of ability, development and potential hovering over several of the younger players, the NRC becomes pivotal to the Tahs chances - and I wonder if 2 or 3 NSW-based teams is the real sweet spot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Andrew Hore's rejection of the Hayne Train today was sounded quite final. Not words you can walk back from, which should appease some lower level supporters, players, administrators, etc who might see a trickle from the rusty tap - or not.

Very happy to see the Tahs stay away from Hayne, very very happy

Those words seem to scupper the possibility of a marquee 12 (or QC (Quade Cooper)), or lock, or even LHP - I'm guessing Horwitz and Hegarty are fighting it out for Foley cover and the starting 12. Or Beale stays :)

With questions of ability, development and potential hovering over several of the younger players, the NRC becomes pivotal to the Tahs chances - and I wonder if 2 or 3 NSW-based teams is the real sweet spot.
I actually think Horne needs to be in their as well, his work at 12 was quite good

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Who's QC (Quade Cooper)? Quade Cooper at 12? lol

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

That news was the best news I've heard from the Tahs in the last couple of weeks. His reasoning was sound, why bring in a marquee player like Hayne, who might not even hang around before having another "dream"? Far better developing the roots.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
If we didn't get that title in 2014, I'd be chasing anyone who'd possibly get us over the line - regardless of cost! I tend to agree now that we've got one that investment in longer term options is practical, noting Hore was quoted "...when you've already got 10-plus Wallabies plus Israel Folau in our team, we feel that there's enough star-power there at this stage...". I'm not sure if his counting is accurate though - I count 9 including Folau (and average Wallabies Paddy and Taqele) for 2017, unless Mumm, TPN or Cliffy are suddenly going around again. Maybe he meant 2016, where it was 13 + Folau when TQ returned - and we were still shit.

Anyway, back to the cricket. Perfect day here in Kandy. NSW going okay too ;)

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm hoping the Tahs can land Godwin. They are desperate for a left footer and they must have plenty of cap space to equal or better the Brumbies offer.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought the Tahs were also going for him. I haven't heard of any confirmation that he's signed to the Brumbies.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I thought he was commited to the Brumbies?
Rumoured, though apparently nothing signed. Went backwards under Axel for whatever reason, might flourish between Bern and Folau. Not much else on offer around the traps at 12, especially at the Tahs.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought his last game for the Force was decent. Especially his kicking game and that try he scored should have been allowed.

One thing that might worry him about signing with NSW however is that Beale's Wasps contract is not 2 years but 1+1. He could be back as early as July 2017.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
The new Robbo, Tom Robertson has re-signed for two years.

Great news!

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/07/28/03/41/waratahs-prop-robertson-recommits-for-two--years

He should start spelling his name Tomm with two Ms.
The similarities wouldn't end there BH - the original Robbo also pored over videos and made notes of each prop he came up against - I clearly recall a story from the McKenzie coaching era. About the same time Cliffy put Broughton-Rouse out for weeks during a training drill.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd be interested in hearing how Latu goes head to head at the set piece with Ta'Avao in today's SS GF - and the performance of Finau at hooker that will go a long way to deciding whether he gets the 3rd rake spot at the Tahs (with the expectation Latu is being prepped for LHP).

Any idea if it'll be replayed anywhere (incl. online)? Back in Oz next week and would also like to see how Gordon goes at scrumhalf, and Wells off the bench for NS.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Ta'avao absolutely towelled him up. I wouldn't read too much into Latu playing LHP, he was terrible.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Prop question. Would having Kepu switch back to loosehead work? Right now the Tahs have Robertson, Kepu and Ta'avao at THP and Ryan at loosehead. Frankly I think someone has to switch, and I'd rather have Robertson starting than Ryan.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Will Ta'avao be there next year?

Anyway, we're sorted for THPs but I suspect Kepu may be forced back to the left. He has played a bit of LHP of memory serves

Status
Not open for further replies.