• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Taqele is one of probably the best 30 players in world rugby at winning 1-on-1s. What do you define as a winger's single key skill?

Would he be able to manufacture those 1-on-1s as an 8 (for example)? Perhaps, but the other side of the coin is now he's suddenly having to 'seagull', which attracts ire for different reasons, and low-and-behold HE PROBABLY ENDS UP ATTACKING ON THE WING ANYWAY!

Obviously, like fatprop said, he has strengths and weaknesses like any other player. Lateral movement is one (particularly, defensively), and handling the kicking part of the game in another. I wouldn't call this laziness on D, I just think it's hard to get himself into a good position.

Sidebar - Retrospectively, it's looking even more selfish that Australia decided to give him that cap in a nothing test pre-WC, but Taqele is his own man and he made that decision too.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Sidebar - Retrospectively, it's looking even more selfish that Australia decided to give him that cap in a nothing test pre-WC, but Taqele is his own man and he made that decision too.

I don't think so. He needs to improve somewhat but he has more potential as an impact player than most other outside backs. For example, subbing Sefa for Speight or vice versa is a like for like substitution where-as Taqele brings a whole new element to the attack. He just needs to get a little better in defense.

Having said that he'll never be a starting player.

Edit: Plus, the outside back spot on the bench really should be for an impact player. No winger/fullback should need subbing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Over 30/40 metres. He had one run down the eastern side starting from abut 60 metres out, and ran out of petrol when he crossed the 22. He's clearly not fit enough.
But the player covering him couldn't keep up either. It would have been good if he could have accelerated away and scored under the posts but he still scored.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Over 30/40 metres. He had one run down the eastern side starting from abut 60 metres out, and ran out of petrol when he crossed the 22. He's clearly not fit enough.

He burnt that Highlanders outside back who was half his size, and not many individual tries are scored from more than 60m.

Even if they are, an 100m sprint exhausts anyone (including professional sprinters).

What else do you want? Him to go full Forrest Gump and run past the dead ball line and out of the stadium?

That example proves that hes up to the core capabilities of a winger. He's fit and fast enough to burn people from 60m out and has the differentiating size to run over people as well.

T

TOCC

Just to remove Tahs chat from the Reds thread:

So Tahs play Force, Lions, Sharks, Brumbies and Rebels in first 5 rounds..

Will the Tahs be 5-0 by start of round 6?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I thought Wells had been pretty good, and I'd have him ahead of Wilkin at this stage, which means a starting berth against the Force with Holloway out. For mine Lucas is ahead of Gordon, and I think Hegarty has been outstanding in both trials, and for mine would start at 15.

My side is:
Robertson, Latu, Kepu, Skelton, Mumm, Dempsey, Hooper, Wells, Phipps, Foley, Horne, Simone, Folau, Robinson, Hegarty
Res: Roach, Ryan, Lolohea, Hanigan, Wilkin, Lucas, Nayarvaro, Kellaway.

My reason for both Kellaway and Big T on the bench, is Taquele is impact, Kellaway is injury cover for the inside backs, coming on at 15 and Hegarty moving in to cover whatever space needs covering.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Geez if the Tahs cannot win that one, let us end the thread immediately and start up the 2018 thread.

That short-changes the Force, this year they could be anything. They might be semi-finalists, they might be bottom four. But they have recruited very very well! TPN will make a huge difference to their scrum and to their midfield work. I still rate him as the best hooker in Australia, bar none. Lance is one of the top three 10's in Australia and by the end of the season could be one of the top two. They've got gas on the wings and Meekes will be a major step up in class. I really rate Lowrens too. DHP won't be on his own in the backline this year.

I think we'll win but its definitely a banana-peel game, especially after our A team played so badly against the Highlanders.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed Hawko, also they'll keenly feel the emotion of the 'Own the Force' campaign and the pressure to keep the team going in round 1.

They can't run on emotion for a whole season, but certainly can for one round.

T

TOCC

That short-changes the Force, this year they could be anything. They might be semi-finalists, they might be bottom four.

In the Reds thread you just said the Waratahs and Reds were streets ahead of the other three Aussie teams?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Which of those teams will beat them, Lions?
This year, any of them, I expect them to be roosters one week and feather dusters the next.

I expect them to frustratingly inconsistent, they are a side in transition with a lot of very good younglings who are unlikely to be able to turn up both physically and mentally each week for the whole season

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.