• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs 2018 Draw

Stormers (h)

Sharks (a)
Jaguares (a)
Rebels (h)
Bye
Brumbies (a)
Sunwolves (a)
Reds (h)
Lions (h)
Bye
Blues (h)
Crusaders (a)
Highlanders (h)
Chiefs (a)
Reds (a)
June tests
Rebels (a)
Sunwolves (h)
Brumbies (h)

Heading off to South Africa and Argentina at the start of the year makes that critical to the season. We really need to win at least one of those games.

The four match stretch against New Zealand teams in May is pretty brutal!

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
They wonder why we get shit attendances for Super Rugby.

2 home games in the first 7 weeks.

It's a miracle people in Sydney even know who the Tahs are.
The Tahs don't want to have a home game on Mardigra weekend so they request doing their SA tour at that time. I assume its the only way to insure they don't play at home that weekend.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Simple. The area around Moore Park is chaotic over Mardi Gras weekend, and past experience with games on then has been a mess. Sensible to avoid it.

Thanks cyclo makes sense. (Was a bizarre thought to start with).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Honestly.. for the Tahs, the recruitment priorities for me would be

1. Meakes
2. Naisarani
3. Rona
4. Ainsley

Where are the Tahs weaknesses? Put aside the everywhere answer; the key weaknesses are in the locks and backrowers and at 13. We have plenty of energiser bunnies in the pack but we need more players like Vickerman/Palu/Jackpot. To prioritise those needs I would say we most need: 1. A first-choice power backrower who can bend the line and dominate in the tackle. 2. A first-choice lock who can do the same, as well as operate in the lineout and scrum. Daylight 3. A dynamic 13. Daylight 4. Another tight head prop as a finishing 18. We already have Kepu at 3. We look like getting Meakes. We might get Phillip, who has potential but is a long shot to be the lock we need. I have no idea who might be the big backrower. Without those two needs met we will be vying with the Rebels and the Sunwolves for the spoon.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Where are the Tahs weaknesses? Put aside the everywhere answer; the key weaknesses are in the locks and backrowers and at 13. We have plenty of energiser bunnies in the pack but we need more players like Vickerman/Palu/Jackpot. To prioritise those needs I would say we most need: 1. A first-choice power backrower who can bend the line and dominate in the tackle. 2. A first-choice lock who can do the same, as well as operate in the lineout and scrum. Daylight 3. A dynamic 13. Daylight 4. Another tight head prop as a finishing 18. We already have Kepu at 3. We look like getting Meakes. We might get Phillip, who has potential but is a long shot to be the lock we need. I have no idea who might be the big backrower. Without those two needs met we will be vying with the Rebels and the Sunwolves for the spoon.
Wooden spoon eh? Doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Umm you've basically got an all wallabies backrow... I don't rate them but anyway
How about looking to develop someone coming through, no options there?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wooden spoon eh? Doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think last in the Aus conference is a real chance, unless some big changes in many areas happen before next year. A little bit personnel, much more tactics, consistency and skills.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think last in the Aus conference is a real chance, unless some big changes in many areas happen before next year. A little bit personnel, much more tactics, consistency and skills.

Maybe, hard to see the reds being any better than us. Remains to be seen if the Rebels can get their shit together. I'd say second is as likely, or more, than last.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the coaching structure will be better with Gibson being more hands on. From what I have read, he is a really good hands on coach, possibly less effective in a model with a head coach; and I think Cron will have the pigs rowing the same way and not looking like they were going through the motions

Also no outrage of having a kiwi team coaching?

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i was a huge critic of the simmons signing, but his last couple of games for the wobs have been good, and i'll happily admit to being proven wrong,. he may be a good signing if he carries that form into next year.

another signing in the pigs with a bit of the love of contact and we will be looking ok.

and as long as alphabet is kept off the park for as long as possible our backline will be better defensively and we are more likely to receive penalties/yc's

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where are the Tahs weaknesses? Put aside the everywhere answer; the key weaknesses are in the locks and backrowers and at 13. We have plenty of energiser bunnies in the pack but we need more players like Vickerman/Palu/Jackpot. To prioritise those needs I would say we most need: 1. A first-choice power backrower who can bend the line and dominate in the tackle. .

I still don't see how they can possibly prioritise that when effectively all the spots are accounted for.

6. Hanigan (and Staniforth if we sign a first choice lock)
7. Hooper, Jones
8. Holloway, Dempsey, Wells

Our backrow was shit this year mostly because Holloway was patchy post injury and Dempsey barely played. I don't really rate Wells. He lacks the physicality and he gives away silly penalties.

How does that backrow look in 2018 if Holloway comes through a whole preseason and Dempsey is fit?

Naisarani would clearly make it better, but how much would chasing him have limited our recruitment options elsewhere?

He signed a one year deal with the Brumbies. A whole lot of our backrowers come off contract at the end of 2018. It would seem that is a far more reasonable time to make a play for him and recalibrate our backrow stocks to produce both a better starting trio and more balanced depth.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think the coaches ever planned before the season started that Wells would play the minutes he did. He looks like a military medium squad unit, not a ever starter

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think the coaches ever planned before the season started that Wells would play the minutes he did. He looks like a military medium squad unit, not a ever starter

Definitely not.

If everyone was healthy he doesn't make the 23 let alone starting most games.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I still don't see how they can possibly prioritise that when effectively all the spots are accounted for.
Our backrow was shit this year mostly because Holloway was patchy post injury and Dempsey barely played. I don't really rate Wells. He lacks the physicality and he gives away silly penalties.

Naisarani would clearly make it better, but how much would chasing him have limited our recruitment options elsewhere?

He signed a one year deal with the Brumbies. A whole lot of our backrowers come off contract at the end of 2018. It would seem that is a far more reasonable time to make a play for him and recalibrate our backrow stocks to produce both a better starting trio and more balanced depth.

I don't really rate Wells either, except perhaps as a back-up 7 to Hooper. But the guy really does have a go! He puts his body on the line, when he makes a carry he is going flat out, unlike others who just jog into tackles. He gets recognition from me for that - he genuinely tries to be dominant. Not his fault that his genetics didn't allow him to be what we need, but still a really good competitor. Dempsey and Hanigan will both go on the EOYT unless injured and because of this will have a shortened preseason. As a result, neither of them will be able to do the concentrated gym and diet work required to put in the 10kg of muscle and strength development required to make them what we need them to be. The best thing Cheika could do would be to drop both from the EOYT so they can start eating and working in the gym. But he won't. But I will tell you this; if they were NZers that is precisely what Hanson and the other coaches would do.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
I don't think Dempsey is too lightweight. It's actually debatable as to whether Hanigan is either. Hanigan just has poor technique in the clean-out.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^
I don't think Dempsey is too lightweight. It's actually debatable as to whether Hanigan is either. Hanigan just has poor technique in the clean-out.

Dempsey looks a lot bigger than he did a couple of years ago, I'm not sure he could get any bigger. Hanigan still looks like an U20 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.