• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
so reported today the rebels are est 700 000 over salary cap so far and the brumbies have pushed over it in the expectation it will be relaxed. Reds and Tahs strived to stay under it, hence Reds passed up on Genia which will end up potentially being to their detriment . New CEO expected to have to deal with it next year.

Must be something in the water down there in Melbourne (and Canberra).... Salary caps and all that don't really matter do they? Wayne Smith reports that likely only Reds and Tahs contracting within the cap..... Now becomes clear why both franchises picked very few of the Force roster. So as it pans out the Force were wound up to strengthen only, the Brumbies and the Rebels. So much for strengthening the whole conference...... The Rebs really only needed 5-6 of the Force guys to make a huge difference, now that they've recruited 12 from the Force on top of Talaki, Horwitz, Parling, we will have a stack of warehoused players who would have had a better opportunity elsewhere. What a shame..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As others have alluded, I don't think the Reds have the money to contract anyone of note. Perhaps a bit of cash freed up now post-Moore.

Actually I don't think the VRU/Rebels have the money either, but that's not stopping them I guess.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
so reported today the rebels are est 700 000 over salary cap so far and the brumbies have pushed over it in the expectation it will be relaxed. Reds and Tahs strived to stay under it, hence Reds passed up on Genia which will end up potentially being to their detriment . New CEO expected to have to deal with it next year.

Rugby Australia confirmed that there would be a transitional period, and although they've yet to announce any changes it is assumed it will include a raise in the salary cap and squad numbers for next year..........

The Brumbies CEO stated that they wouldn't be allocating more spots for Force players unless they had some guarantee that would be the case, so there has likely been talks between the Super Rugby teams and RA regarding this issue.

And Wayne Smith is lazy journalist.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm already resigned to the fact that 2018 is going to be a "development" year, though I'm not sure who's worth developing. We have some good players for sure and we'll probably score a lot of tries but I can't see us getting over the lack of physicality in our second row and midfield. We are going to get smashed.

I already have a wish list for 2019. Bring back:

Lukhan Tui
Angus Crighton
Mike Ala'alatoa
Jack Maddocks
Henry Hutchison

Thanks

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Angus Crighton would be a massive priority for me - his highlight reel at Souths is incredible given his age and the number of games he has played.

That being said, given how well he is playing I think Souths would fight tooth and nail to keep him, and he seemed a bit bitter about his treatment by the Waratahs in his 'Bloke in a Bar' interviews with Kemp. It seems he's drinking from the NRL koolaid and being surrounded by players such as the Burgesses and GI will only accelerate the process.

Tui would be good to get back but I think Swinton is the real deal and wouldn't mind seeing him developed at 5 to complement Simmons / Staniforth. Worst comes to worst we can also play Hanigan in the 2nd row (and most likely will have to in order to accomodate Dempsey).

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Tahs fans are complaining about possible rorts of the salary cap? Really?

Couldn't the Tahs find any more grounds to hire?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Someone somewhere on these pages reckoned Dempsey is out for 12 months. Torn the muscle off the bone. McCalman will hopefully replace him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Angus Crighton would be a massive priority for me - his highlight reel at Souths is incredible given his age and the number of games he has played.

I don't think there's any likelihood of this happening. He'd have to be offered massive money which in my view would not be worth it. That horse has bolted.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't think there's any likelihood of this happening. He'd have to be offered massive money which in my view would not be worth it. That horse has bolted.

The only thing that I think could tempt him back would be a crack at the RWC in 2023. Hopefully by then he has achieved a lot in league and feels like he's not missing out on anything by pursuing the opportunity.

But I agree. He's unproven in the 15-aside code as an adult and I think it'd be foolish to try to lure him back with a top tier salary.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The only thing that I think could tempt him back would be a crack at the RWC in 2023. Hopefully by then he has achieved a lot in league and feels like he's not missing out on anything by pursuing the opportunity.

But I agree. He's unproven in the 15-aside code as an adult and I think it'd be foolish to try to lure him back with a top tier salary.
We should at least make League pay overs for him. He was pretty good at the schoolboys test match I saw him in in 2013.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

One of the problems I can see with bringing Crichton over from league is where he would play positionally. He was playing in the centres at Scots but it'd take a lot of adjustment to move back into the centres at a professional level, not nearly as easy as playing on the wing like Koroibete. Sam Burgess had a similar problem trying to pick up playing in centres when he moved from the Rabbitohs into the English team.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One of the problems I can see with bringing Crichton over from league is where he would play positionally. He was playing in the centres at Scots but it'd take a lot of adjustment to move back into the centres at a professional level, not nearly as easy as playing on the wing like Koroibete. Sam Burgess had a similar problem trying to pick up playing in centres when he moved from the Rabbitohs into the English team.

He played a handful of games for Scots in Year 12 at Inside Centre but he played at Number Eight for the Scots 1st XV in Year 10, 11 and 12.

That's where he played his representative footy as well.

That was simply a case of putting your best player where he got the ball the most at lower levels.

It saw Kellaway play at flyhalf and inside centre a bit in high school. It also saw Wells and Hooper play at 12 in highschool / for Manly respectively.

Crichton would be an eight or six through-and-through.

Status
Not open for further replies.