• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
New stadiums now announced:

• A new 45,000-seat stadium to replace Allianz at Moore Park with construction to start in 2018 and open in 2021 (estimated $705 million, subject to tendering process); and

• A new 75,000-seat rectangular stadium to replace ANZ at Sydney Olympic Park, construction to start in 2019 and open in 2022 (estimated $1.25 billion, subject to tendering process).

Also subject to "Unexpected Cost Blowout Syndrome" known as the WestConnex Paradigm.
Hard to see the value in spending on Allianz, to be honest, given it won't get big ticket events and rarely be even half full.

Reactions: dru

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
You should take that one up with Wayne Smith. link and excerpt below apparently quoting a RA spokesman. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/55ab52f729d5ded529e0d9381a8f4134 "While the Waratahs and Reds are understood to be fairly safely under the salary cap, it is believed the Brumbies could also be over, especially after singing Force backrower Isi Naisarini, lock Richie Arnold and, as of yesterday, champion winger Chance Peni. And with David Pocock returning next season from his sabbatical and Christian Lealiifano set for a full season of Super Rugby after his temporary off-season move to Ulster, the Brumbies’ budget is understood to be at breaking point. “It won’t only be Melbourne that will be over the caps,” said a Rugby Australia spokesman yesterday. “It’s hard to say until everything materialises at each of those squads whether each team is going to be over. We don’t think every team is going to be over the $5 million but certainly there will be more than one."
A journo reporting it doesn't necessarily make it true. The ground hire thing had credible sounding articles too - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/aru-to-probe-pay-scheme-20120715-224c9.html. Though describing an article by Greg Growden as 'credible' is maybe stretching things a little I guess.
All that being said, there's probably a reasonable chance the Brumbies are over the old salary cap - but the fact that all bar Naisarani of the ex-Force players only signed up in the last week or so seems to suggest to me that there may have been some changes to the cap in recent days.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So there will be an overlap where both stadiums are out of action? Do you know how long that will be?

Where do the western Sydney AFL and soccer teams play out of? ANZ?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Think they will knock down ANZ late 2019, so will have both out of action until early 2021, when new Allianz opens.
Giants play out of Spotless which is unaffected, think a lot of NRL will shift to Parramatta Stadium or SCG.

T

TOCC

That and it’s easily the best stadium in Sydney to watch any rectangular field code from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But going forward it won't be, the new ANZ stadium will be the best dedicated rectangular field in the country.. Which makes me question the business case behind redeveloping the SFS in such a way, they won't be able to attract marquee events away from the new rectangular field at Homebush. At best it will continue to serve regular season games, and maybe the occasional quarter final, but they are now competing with the new Parramatta Stadium and any premium event will be heading to the ANZ Stadium.
If they were so intent on keeping a stadium at Moore Park, they should have just copied the Parramatta Stadium design and built that.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
A journo reporting it doesn't necessarily make it true. The ground hire thing had credible sounding articles too - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/aru-to-probe-pay-scheme-20120715-224c9.html. Though describing an article by Greg Growden as 'credible' is maybe stretching things a little I guess.
All that being said, there's probably a reasonable chance the Brumbies are over the old salary cap - but the fact that all bar Naisarani of the ex-Force players only signed up in the last week or so seems to suggest to me that there may have been some changes to the cap in recent days.

I'm sure you're right re: cap changes, my frustration was mainly at the whole Force to Rebels transplant debacle. The entire premise was that the Force were wound up to strengthen the financial sustainability and increase the competitiveness of all of the remaining 4 franchises, not just the Rebels. If a higher cap was agreed to across all the teams earlier in the piece I've no doubt there would have been much stronger teams across the board, not just the Rebels with a massive steroid hit. Brumbies have done very well out of it, though I think they went too heavy in the Super Rugby Dept. Richie A should have gone to the Tahs really as he is now competing behind 3 internationals for game time. Philip should have also gone to the tahs as the Rebs have Coleman and Parling in front.. They would both be starters at NSW. Rebs now have blokes like Stirzaker, Maddocks, English who are quality players that are unlikely to start unless injuries arise. They would be much better placed elsewhere and get much more game time. Tahs will do ok if they end up picking up Rona and McCalman in addition to Vui and Newsome. However the reds should be a bit dirty, they really need a quality prop and another hooker, as well as the fact they would likely have re-signed Genia if they had a bit of cap room a while ago. Anyway it is what it is......

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
But going forward it won't be, the new ANZ stadium will be the best dedicated rectangular field in the country.. Which makes me question the business case behind redeveloping the SFS in such a way, they won't be able to attract marquee events away from the new rectangular field at Homebush. At best it will continue to serve regular season games, and maybe the occasional quarter final, but they are now competing with the new Parramatta Stadium and any premium event will be heading to the ANZ Stadium.
If they were so intent on keeping a stadium at Moore Park, they should have just copied the Parramatta Stadium design and built that.

Fair point but for a game with say 30K people there it will still be the best stadium to watch from. ANZ will cater for the bigger crowds. But I agree, the challenge is to have enough events of sufficient crowd size to justify having both stadia redeveloped. I would envisage though that of the two venues ANZ is the more likely to be the white elephant, as it is currently.

T

TOCC

Fair point but for a game with say 30K people there it will still be the best stadium to watch from. ANZ will cater for the bigger crowds. But I agree, the challenge is to have enough events of sufficient crowd size to justify having both stadia redeveloped. I would envisage though that of the two venues ANZ is the more likely to be the white elephant, as it is currently.

I think 30k is a reasonable figure and one the capacity that should have been used at SFS.. If they want to go above 30k they really need to consider better PT accessibility, the light rail is an improvement but won't rectify the issue. I won't go to ANZ because its horrible to watch rectangular sports at, but the design elements they have chosen to implement will have spectators closer to the ground then those at Suncorp Stadium will have a massive impact and boost attendance IMO.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)

As a semi regular attendee at both, I would add that the better the experience you have, the more likely you are to attend! If they make it highly conducive for family groups to attend, you're going from the diehards like myself with one ticket to my little family of 4 in one go! Not a bad multiplier effect. With significantly superior parking, toilet and catering as well as a much better viewing experience for the events I'd be surprised if the new attendance didn't result in a significant boost to average crowds. If coupled with a few of the marquee teams being successful (ie: Waratahs, Wallabies, Roosters, Rabbitohs etc), you may be surprised with the numbers that arrive!

T

TOCC

However the reds should be a bit dirty, they really need a quality prop and another hooker, as well as the fact they would likely have re-signed Genia if they had a bit of cap room a while ago. Anyway it is what it is..

Yes massively dirty that the Rebels were able to recruit a Reds THP because the Reds worked under the salary cap and the Rebels haven't

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It's nothing personnel about their fans as they seem a decent bunch but the way this whole saga has carried out makes it hard to have any time for the Rebels at all.

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yes massively dirty that the Rebels were able to recruit a Reds THP because the Reds worked under the salary cap and the Rebels haven't

We all know the salary cap is a joke anyway and the Reds were not far off broke besides.

But how the Rebels are any better is a fair question.

Presumably the ARU will pick up the tab as they double down on hemorrhaging money in Melbourne.

Apparently Roger Davis is also dirty on the deal, for whatever that's worth …

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The fact that the redevelopments are being funded by the sale of the Land Titles Office is pretty concerning.

Privatization of a natural monopoly for a fundamental service to fund unnecessary, expensive and non-essential infrastructure redevelopment.

Cool beans.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sunday afternoon at North Sydney Oval would draw in the crowds.
After how long I waited for a beer at Shute shield final if tahs played at north Sydney oval it would just give me another reason to not go to tahs matches this season...

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
the 'tahs can go back to Concorde, just have to play day games as that is the only stadium they will fill.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
After how long I waited for a beer at Shute shield final if tahs played at north Sydney oval it would just give me another reason to not go to tahs matches this season.

Wouldn't be a problem.
Tahs couldn't draw that sized crowd at NSO.
SCG members are a large chunk of the crowd at SFO

Status
Not open for further replies.