• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is no doubt recruiting a bruising/ball running lock to compliment the set piece lock (Rob Simmons and realistically all our locks) is definitely the biggest need for 2019.

Second biggest would be a starting LHP. We need to be careful here. E.g. I don't think Toby Smith's scrummaging is substantially better than Robertson's. Can't get fooled that a prop in a strong scrummaging team is going to be better once they join the weak scrum and are expected to correct it.

I will be interested to see how the scrum improves with Kepu and Simmons there. I think it will be a stark improvement immediately.

Reactions: dru

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
With the new concentration of talent post force we should be able to produce a better quality group of players than we currently have. Brumbies can't find space in their best 23 for both Enever and an Arnold. We have a great NSW born LH playing in NZ, Rebels can't fit Maddocks, Meakes and Korebeite in the same starting team. With both the Brumbies and Rebs apparently over the salary cap one would expect to see a few of these guys at the Tahs next year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With the new concentration of talent post force we should be able to produce a better quality group of players than we currently have. Brumbies can't find space in their best 23 for both Enever and an Arnold. We have a great NSW born LH playing in NZ, Rebels can't fit Maddocks, Meakes and Korebeite in the same starting team. With both the Brumbies and Rebs apparently over the salary cap one would expect to see a few of these guys at the Tahs next year?

Ala'alatoa plays THP.

A Brumbies lock (Enever or an Arnold) or one of Tui or Rodda from the Reds would definitely be a good signing. Philip and Coleman seem likely to stay at the Rebels as their two starters.

A star winger would be a good signing too.

I think Foketi is a keeper at 13 and I like Rona at 14.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't see Staniforth as a major issue, his work rate is immense.

I see balance in the side as the issue.

Staniforth always makes himself available to truck the ball up, we need more effective units who will make themselves consistently available so Staniforth isn't needed so much for that particular role

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Staniforth always makes himself available to truck the ball up, we need more effective units who will make themselves consistently available so Staniforth isn't needed so much for that particular role

I think Simmons and Staniforth fill the same role though.

It is the other lock we need that we currently don't have.

Simmons is better than Staniforth which does make Staniforth part of the issue. We need to sign a starting lock.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Come seasons end i could see the following possibly interested in changing for an opportunity.

Jeffries - raw, could be good but could equally be a bad signing
Enever - Solid, nothing special
maybe Douglas for a season if he can't break into the Reds as it'd be a WC year.
Jones if he wants a crack at the WC
Skelton as Saracens seem to have figured out he's fairly average

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Simmons and Staniforth fill the same role though.

It is the other lock we need that we currently don't have.

Simmons is better than Staniforth which does make Staniforth part of the issue. We need to sign a starting lock.

and in the mean time work on solutions from within the squad

I think the "plan" was Staniforth (he was signed ages ago) to be starting with Skelton. Then Skelton didn't sign and we ended up with Simmons.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)

Staniforth is probably the only player in Super Rugby who has more runs than run metres.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Here's my take on a Tahs squad refresh... the current squad is not up to scratch!

Starting with Coach Gibson, time is up!

Ryan (May already be gone!)
Fitzpatrick
Sandell
Tawake
Simmons
McAuley
Staniforth
Meafua
Palmer
Fekitau
Kellaway
Simone
Clark

Recruitment targets IMO should be

M Alalaatoa
Tui
Philip
Luke Jones
Hugh Pyle
Pete Samu
Magnay
JOC (James O'Connor) Left field!

plus a few up and comers from NSW

A few players coming off contract who would be able to add punch into a Tahs side Kane Douglas, Lukhan Tui, Lolo Fakaosilea and Samu Kerevi spring to mind. Handy If they were to nab one of them.

Mike Ala'alatoa is currently being groomed as a potential All Black. At the seasons end he will have played his 3 seasons in Nz and will qualify as a Kiwi.
Luke Jones would be an awesome acquisition if the Tahs were to land him, however don’t see that happening at all with Hanigan, Dempsey, Holloway in the mix.
Who replaces Ryan? A lot of young kids in the squads prop depth but they really do need a few seasoned Super Rugby props who can take the load off Kepu... that is not a liability at Scrum time.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Losing Ryan isn't great. Australia can't afford to lose experienced front rowers (whether they are superstars or not). Same with hooker, most of the bench players have barely cracked 20. Reds were lucky to pick up the Smith brothers because without them they were struggling with Hoopert & Faagase, Brumbies have good options, Rebels have good options, and Force have Cowan and Longbottom and now have brought Orr back. If the tahs lose Ryan you are looking at a quality starting front row (robertson & kepu) but a super young backup in Holmes & Vui...maybe Walker. Doesn't look like there are any journeyman level older guys even available unless you go REALLY old with G.Holmes & Salesi Maafu...maybe Albert Anae as a LHP.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Here's my take on a Tahs squad refresh... the current squad is not up to scratch!

Starting with Coach Gibson, time is up!

Ryan (May already be gone!)
Fitzpatrick
Sandell
Tawake
Simmons
McAuley
Staniforth
Meafua
Palmer
Fekitau
Kellaway
Simone
Clark

Recruitment targets IMO should be

M Alalaatoa
Tui
Philip
Luke Jones
Hugh Pyle
Pete Samu
Magnay
JOC (James O'Connor) Left field!

plus a few up and comers from NSW

Strange list, a couple of nice targets, some strange picks on the dumping list

But the true failure is your suggestion of JOC (James O'Connor), never ever

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Strange list, a couple of nice targets, some strange picks on the dumping list

But the true failure is your suggestion of JOC (James O'Connor), never ever

Fair enough, I threw it together pretty quickly!

Re: JOC (James O'Connor), I still believe people can change and should be given opportunities if merited. I think he may be worth another shot. We've seen a few examples of redemption after multiple misdemeanors like KB (Kurtley Beale) for example. The bloke was a prize D@#$Head no doubt, but with a one strike contract would be worth a shot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fair enough, I threw it together pretty quickly!

Re: JOC (James O'Connor), I still believe people can change and should be given opportunities if merited. I think he may be worth another shot. We've seen a few examples of redemption after multiple misdemeanors like KB (Kurtley Beale) for example. The bloke was a prize D@#$Head no doubt, but with a one strike contract would be worth a shot.

After watching him play for London Irish, I don't think he would actually add enough to take the chance

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon a prop that will be on the market sooner with be Sef at the Reds.
He's pretty good at both sides and not too bad around the field.

Reds have now signed the twins.

Sef would probably get a shot at some other franchises.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Losing Ryan isn't great. Australia can't afford to lose experienced front rowers (whether they are superstars or not). Same with hooker, most of the bench players have barely cracked 20. Reds were lucky to pick up the Smith brothers because without them they were struggling with Hoopert & Faagase, Brumbies have good options, Rebels have good options, and Force have Cowan and Longbottom and now have brought Orr back. If the tahs lose Ryan you are looking at a quality starting front row (robertson & kepu) but a super young backup in Holmes & Vui.maybe Walker. Doesn't look like there are any journeyman level older guys even available unless you go REALLY old with G.Holmes & Salesi Maafu.maybe Albert Anae as a LHP.

He's nearly 30 and he's a Super rugby bench option at best. Honestly, i'd prefer he left and a player with the potential to surpass him was given time.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He's nearly 30 and he's a Super rugby bench option at best. Honestly, i'd prefer he left and a player with the potential to surpass him was given time.

already got 2 x 2017 U20s players on the books (one of them brought it) and another training. How much deeper can you go?..And 30 is not old in the forward world by a long shot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The challenge for the Tahs with signing a prop for next season is to correctly ascertain the trajectories of Robertson (still only 23 and inexperience as far as a prop goes) as well as Johnson-Holmes, Vui and Cody Walker.

Signing a player to slot into the starting XV is only worthwhile if they're substantially better than those guys and will remain that way for at least a year.

Robertson has regressed so it is hard to know what his play will be like next season but who knows how quickly the three young guys will develop. Any one of them could be better than the player signed within a short period of time.

Then there's Matt Sandell who was a talented under 20s player but has had some serious injuries and may be too small. Presumably he either gets himself in the picture next year or gets moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.