• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So for next season all we really need is consistency in our performances to improve. If we beat the Brumbies at home then we play the Lions at home and not at altitude and we have a completely different match.

The earlier loss to the Lions and the loss to the Jaguares were both pretty dire capitulations.

A few forward recruits wouldn't hurt. A few big bodies to get us over the gain line. Wells, despite my early disdain, has been okay but he's not really the number 8 we need. I wish we could get Skelton back for the second row as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Unfortunately I cannot see much improvement in the current squad. The forwards have too many lightweights in both senses of the word.

Yes, it would be nice to have a few big bodies. Another Potgeiter would be nice.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me Holloway after so much unfulfilled promise finally found his mojo at lock so for me he would have to surely stay at lock.

Message of we need a bigger forward pack so who needs to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunately I cannot see much improvement in the current squad. The forwards have too many lightweights in both senses of the word.

Yes, it would be nice to have a few big bodies. Another Potgeiter would be nice.
so who would you replace in the forwards? As Dempsey back at 6 yes. Wells been good but yes is he too light and Holloway surely not that light for a lock...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Its not just about weight, its about gainline and aggression. You need some of it. We have a pretty good functional pack that scares no one.

The season we won we had a hard hitting, heavy pack that won us plenty of front foot ball.
so who would you replace in the forwards? As Dempsey back at 6 yes. Wells been good but yes is he too light and Holloway surely not that light for a lock.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
so who would you replace in the forwards? As Dempsey back at 6 yes. Wells been good but yes is he too light and Holloway surely not that light for a lock.

Fitzpatrick.
Holloway to 8 or bench 6/lock
Recruit a LH lock to partner Simmons, someone like Skelton or a Huricanes version of Lousi who can have a material effect at the ruck, maul and gain line. At the moment no Tight five forward except Kepu has any effect with Latu occasionally stepping in there.
The backrow needs more balance, all workrate and no effect. Find me a Daniel Manu or Wille O to partner Hanigan and Hooper with Miller on the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fitzpatrick.
Recruit a LH lock to partner Simmons, someone like Skelton or a Huricanes version of Lousi who can have a material effect at the ruck, maul and gain line. At the moment no Tight five forward except Kepu has any effect with Latu occasionally stepping in there.
The backrow needs more balance, all workrate and no effect. Find me a Daniel Manu or Wille O to partner Hanigan and Hooper with Miller on the bench.
He's the same over there. Don't miss him.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fitzpatrick.

Lousi - well we had him but he was pretty ordinary at the Tahs and yet goes back to NZ and becomes a rock star same for Angus T - Would Holloway be better than Wells at 8 - not so sure. Yes understand better options required - Dempsey at 6 would certainly give better balance with Miller backup to Hooper and/or bench option. More about balance I guess as different style of players given Hooper no Pocock and Simmons more for general line out play and no enforcer, so hence need to counterbalance with different players as you say. Skelton to honest was also not the answer as was so ineffective for his size and not a strong scrummager so worries me you mention him and again you mention Lousi who at Tahs was never much - something about coaching / development still in the mix here but who knows with Cron maybe they can better develop some raw talent that can fill the void.

I personally think Dempsey was a big loss not having this season and could have made some difference. Maybe Holloway also starting to be more hard hitting forward we want him to be and if could step up some more - with Hooper, Dempsey back on the park....perhaps not that far away.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is as much about technique and attitude as it is about size.

Holloway seems to be on the improve, at long last. Still has to show a bit of mongrel.

Dempsey is a great footballer, for sure. He and Hooper are certainties to start if they are both fit. Two racing thoroughbreds. The rest of the 8 has to contain some bruisers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lousi - well we had him but he was pretty ordinary at the Tahs and yet goes back to NZ and becomes a rock star .

He totally isn't. He's certainly better than he was but he's now had two full seasons since he was at the Tahs (one of which he missed almost the entirety of due to injury).

He's be lucky to be in the top 8 NZ locks.

In terms of Ta'avao, I think he probably did put together his best season of Super Rugby. He earned a contract through a good Mitre 10 Cup season when he was essentially playing for his career. He performed pretty well for the Chiefs but he'd be struggling to make the 23 for the Tahs in 2018. He was a poor recruitment choice for the Tahs who didn't perform well and spent a long time out injured.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Lousi - well we had him but he was pretty ordinary at the Tahs and yet goes back to NZ and becomes a rock star same for Angus T .

I know that's a well-worn narrative (Mike AAA as well) but has Lousi been any good this year? Or Ta'avao?

I've seen a bit of both and they have been pretty average every time I've seen them. Maybe I've missed their standout games but from my view I don't think the Tahs have missed them at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All in all a really good season from the Tahs. From an awful year in 2017 they have bounced back strongly and made the semi-finals. Another win and they would have hosted the semi-final and could have very well made the final. Having to travel to Jo'burg was a bridge too far.

The most pleasing thing to see is that across the park I think just about every single player performed better than they did last year. Some quite significantly.

Robertson, Miller, Wells and Holloway took big steps forward in the forward pack. Phipps, Foley and Beale had their best seasons of Super Rugby since we won in 2014, Taqele Naiyaravoro had easily his best season of rugby and broke the team try scoring record.

I daresay one of Foley or Beale will win Australian Super Rugby player of the ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.