• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
QH I'm just as disgusted with what we've seen from the Tahs this year as anyone else, but it seems whatever anyone in the organisation says now is going to be ridiculed. Look, like it or not (I don't like it much but don't see any alternative) Gibson is going to be coach next year, and I don't think the idea of watching the final and saying 'this is what we aspire to' is such a bad thing to do.
Would you prefer him to say 'fuck it, we'll just turn up next year and see what happens!'

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
"I plan to get them together in two weeks' time and watch the final and really see what it is we have to do to transform ourselves and see those two teams that are in the final," Gibson said. "We'll be starting that process shortly.
"One of the transformation processes is the sooner you start, the sooner you can get on with doing it. I don't see any reason why we should wait until January for that process to start.

How is it that he doesn't already know what is required to succeed at this level? FFS he's been HC for 2 years and AC before that.

And while we're at it, how come the players don't know what's required? Isn't Gibson the one who should have left them in no doubt about what it takes to win before the first training session of the year?

In the real world this would be unbelieveable, but in the parallel universe that is Australian rugby, this passes as normal and acceptable.
Is he confident his roster - to the extent they still have one - will be up to it?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
"I plan to get them together in two weeks' time and watch the final and really see what it is we have to do to transform ourselves and see those two teams that are in the final," Gibson said. "We'll be starting that process shortly.
"One of the transformation processes is the sooner you start, the sooner you can get on with doing it. I don't see any reason why we should wait until January for that process to start.

How is it that he doesn't already know what is required to succeed at this level? FFS he's been HC for 2 years and AC before that.

And while we're at it, how come the players don't know what's required? Isn't Gibson the one who should have left them in no doubt about what it takes to win before the first training session of the year?

In the real world this would be unbelieveable, but in the parallel universe that is Australian rugby, this passes as normal and acceptable.
So he is saying he's been totally on the wrong track for two years, and they need to do everything differently next year, but he's still the best man to do the job?
If he'd cleaned out the roster last year( or been announcing new signings over the past year, demonstrating he had a long term view on how things need to change) I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But he didn't.
Nice guy, possibly a competent AC.
Without doubt, worst HC in the comp.
I'm predicting a fan forum before round 6.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH I'm just as disgusted with what we've seen from the Tahs this year as anyone else, but it seems whatever anyone in the organisation says now is going to be ridiculed. Look, like it or not (I don't like it much but don't see any alternative) Gibson is going to be coach next year, and I don't think the idea of watching the final and saying 'this is what we aspire to' is such a bad thing to do.
Would you prefer him to say 'fuck it, we'll just turn up next year and see what happens!'

No, I'd like him to prepare a professional coaching plan with a view to preparing his players to be (a) fit enough, (b) have the right type of fitness, (c) be able to execute the key skills of the game under fatigue (catch, pass, run, tackle, kick), (d) able to catch the ball even when there is dew on the ground and (e) able to execute a game plan which can win games.

I don't see how anything that I said equates to "fuck it, we'll turn up next uear and see what happens", with respect that's a straw man that you have set up.

If it was as simple of making them sit down and watch the final, I'd suggest that half the population in Australia could do that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So he is saying he's been totally on the wrong track for two years, and they need to do everything differently next year, but he's still the best man to do the job?
If he'd cleaned out the roster last year( or been announcing new signings over the past year, demonstrating he had a long term view on how things need to change) I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But he didn't.
Nice guy, possibly a competent AC.
Without doubt, worst HC in the comp.
I'm predicting a fan forum before round 6.

Worse than that. He seems to be saying that he had no idea at the start of the year and so he'll watch the final to get some clue.

I admire him for his honesty, but it's hardly confidence inspiring from a professional coach.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Worse than that. He seems to be saying that he had no idea at the start of the year and so he'll watch the final to get some clue.

I admire him for his honesty, but it's hardly confidence inspiring from a professional coach.
I know we're a bit backward here but I'm pretty sure he could have got his hands on a video of a final from a prior year: I think most of his players have been rewatching the 2014 one since 2014, he could have borrowed theirs.
Sometimes the stuff he comes out with seems almost like he's taunting them to sack him.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I know we're a bit backward here but I'm pretty sure he could have got his hands on a video of a final from a prior year: I think most of his players have been rewatching the 2014 one since 2014, he could have borrowed theirs.
Sometimes the stuff he comes out with seems almost like he's taunting them to sack him.

And you'd like to think as part of the preparation of a professional sporting team, that they'd already be doing regular video analysis sessions on opponents.

They might even have caught one or more of the 5.30pm kiwi derbies to see how properly prepared teams play rugby.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have to say the anti-Tahs bitterness of the likes of MST, and their delight in kicking a team when they're down, just makes it all the sweeter when the boot's on the other foot.

The Tahs have been 8 times in the Super finals series, and won one, which compares with teams like the Hurricanes (8 finals, 1 win) Highlanders (7 finals, 1 win), and the Sharks and Stormers without a win, none of whom seem to be labeled perennial underperformers.

Anyway, keep up the hate fella, if that's what makes you happy.
Superb post

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well, I think Dean Mumm has moved on from 2014 - albeit only recently.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well, I think Dean Mumm has moved on from 2014 - albeit only recently.
Yes.
It's odd that though.
He was a senior player and so had some credibility with Playing group (presumably) - did he make that view known when something could be done about those still relying on their 2014 form? We'll never know but it makes you wonder why he made the criticism when did, particularly since he seemed pretty central to the team this season.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
QH, I agree with all the suggestions you are making regarding a coaching plan, and your criticism of the 'watching the final' thing would be valid if that was all Gibson was going to do, however that's never been suggested, and I really don't think looking at the best and saying 'that's where we need to be' is a bad thing.

If you want to criticize Gibson (as I have done) you could start with the complete disintegration of the culture of the side over the last two years, and then the inability to develop all the young talent at his disposal this year, most of whom have gone backwards. The woeful defence this year could also be included, but I think that also alludes to the culture, as well as the inadequacies of Nathan Grey as a coach.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So the Tahs players are going to get together and watch the final and then they will see how much effort it takes to win the competition.

Sounds legit. Big year ahead Tahs fans. Don't worry. Things are under control.

Does this mean the players didn't watch any Super Rugby throughout the year? Because that may explain a lot about the players and even more about the coaches.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So the Tahs players are going to get together and watch the final and then they will see how much effort it takes to win the competition.

Sounds legit. Big year ahead Tahs fans. Don't worry. Things are under control.

Does this mean the players didn't watch any Super Rugby throughout the year? Because that may explain a lot about the players and even more about the coaches.

Do you think they'll be able to last 80 minutes watching it?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think the idea of watching the final and saying 'this is what we aspire to' is such a bad thing to do.
Seems like something a failed coach in third division subbies might think is a good idea.
Perhaps the emptiest gesture of the year, remembering that he sent them all off on holidays during the playoffs.....
Maybe he be better off showing them the highlights of the GF before every fitness session over summer,before he flogs them to near death.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Seems like something a failed coach in third division subbies might think is a good idea.
Perhaps the emptiest gesture of the year, remembering that he sent them all off on holidays during the playoffs...
Maybe he be better off showing them the highlights of the GF before every fitness session over summer,before he flogs them to near death.

I support it as long as there is a rope involved.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.