• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I hope Cron has "checked the roster/cattle" that he is taking on, very disapointing if we hear the same crap in a couple of years time, when he takes over.

I thought Tim Kellaher is the Talent Scout for NSW - if so do the results suggest he should get the chop

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am sick of the Hooper hate especially on the "Waratah Season Review" comments. Gee whiz that bloke tries his backside off every week and I think he is growing as a leader. He is only 25. On Kick and Chase earlier this year he spoke of learning to become a better leader and getting further help with that. I think it showed when you heard him speak when they had Chris Malone mic'd up. I don't think he had the greatest support from the other "leaders" in the team this year. Foley was out injured for a fair period, Izzy isnt that kinda guy, Phipps was dealing with his own selection issues. Mumm has always done his own thing and given away rubbish penalties.

I just worry that the bloke will be burnt out in the not to distant future. Id love to see the Waratahs sign a half decent backup (maybe someone with some professional experience like Will Miller or Boyd Killingworth) and reduce Hoopers minutes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fox Sports tahs review has them in deep talks with Rob Simmons

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I am sick of the Hooper hate especially on the "Waratah Season Review" comments. Gee whiz that bloke tries his backside off every week and I think he is growing as a leader. He is only 25. On Kick and Chase earlier this year he spoke of learning to become a better leader and getting further help with that. I think it showed when you heard him speak when they had Chris Malone mic'd up. I don't think he had the greatest support from the other "leaders" in the team this year. Foley was out injured for a fair period, Izzy isnt that kinda guy, Phipps was dealing with his own selection issues. Mumm has always done his own thing and given away rubbish penalties.

I just worry that the bloke will be burnt out in the not to distant future. Id love to see the Waratahs sign a half decent backup (maybe someone with some professional experience like Will Miller or Boyd Killingworth) and reduce Hoopers minutes.

Mate I completely agree.

Hooper is an absolutely incredible player and the best 7 in the world for mine (ahead of Pocock).

How about this comment from the front page from a fellow named idiot savant:

"I can't help but think the 'Hooper thing' is a factor. How many times in the last 2 seasons have I read something along the lines of, 'another outstanding performance from Hooper, another loss for the side'. I imagine players are probably a bit tired of turning up to training on the Monday after and hearing the coach say, 'if you'd all played like this bloke we wouldn't be in this situation'.

Which keeps me coming back to two things - 1. Hooper can't get the side to follow him into battle (as you have said Hawko the players don't respect him). Maybe thats because the players are tired of him being referred to as the little angel and I'm not sure Hooper going public with a blast about his team mates fitness shows real leadership ability. It more likely shows arse licking ability."

TL;DR - he questions why the side isn't winning even though Hooper continues to play well. Apparently he doesn't know every team fields 15 players at a time.

TL;DR 2 - he suggests that Hooper continuously playing out of his skin has caused the coaches to like him to the extent that the other players no longer respect / like him. This has apparently been compounded by the fact that Hooper wants to hold the team accountable for their performances and conditioning. Perhaps if Hooper played worse then the Tahs would play better.
Jesus Christ it kills me. The bloke should remove savant from his name and it'd probably be more appropriate.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Mate I completely agree.

Hooper is an absolutely incredible player and the best 7 in the world for mine (ahead of Pocock).

How about this comment from the front page from a fellow named idiot savant:

"I can't help but think the 'Hooper thing' is a factor. How many times in the last 2 seasons have I read something along the lines of, 'another outstanding performance from Hooper, another loss for the side'. I imagine players are probably a bit tired of turning up to training on the Monday after and hearing the coach say, 'if you'd all played like this bloke we wouldn't be in this situation'.

Which keeps me coming back to two things - 1. Hooper can't get the side to follow him into battle (as you have said Hawko the players don't respect him). Maybe thats because the players are tired of him being referred to as the little angel and I'm not sure Hooper going public with a blast about his team mates fitness shows real leadership ability. It more likely shows arse licking ability."

TL;DR - he questions why the side isn't winning even though Hooper continues to play well. Apparently he doesn't know every team fields 15 players at a time.

TL;DR 2 - he suggests that Hooper continuously playing out of his skin has caused the coaches to like him to the extent that the other players no longer respect / like him. This has apparently been compounded by the fact that Hooper wants to hold the team accountable for their performances and conditioning. Perhaps if Hooper played worse then the Tahs would play better.

Jesus Christ it kills me. The bloke should remove savant from his name and it'd probably be more appropriate.

If correct, and I see no reason to dispute it, it points to the real core issue for the under performance, the entitled attitude in many of the players. Like petulant children they will rag on a bloke for being good and attracting the attention of "sir".

Not that I am a fan of Hooper, especially as Captain as his past behaviour in terms of Beale/Patston affair has IMO left him tainted and without standing and such could also be having a combined magnifying impact with your points.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If correct, and I see no reason to dispute it, it points to the real core issue for the under performance, the entitled attitude in many of the players. Like petulant children they will rag on a bloke for being good and attracting the attention of "sir".

Not that I am a fan of Hooper, especially as Captain as his past behaviour in terms of Beale/Patston affair has IMO left him tainted and without standing and such could also be having a combined magnifying impact with your points.

Seriously, you don't think he might have grown as a person in 3 years? I know I did between the ages of 22 and 25.
I understand why people aren't fans of some players for the way they play (although most seem to disregard the fact that players in pro environments are usually playing how coaches want them to play), but it does surprise me how personal the dislike is for some players, Hooper in particular.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Seriously, you don't think he might have grown as a person in 3 years? I know I did between the ages of 22 and 25.

I understand why people aren't fans of some players for the way they play (although most seem to disregard the fact that players in pro environments are usually playing how coaches want them to play), but it does surprise me how personal the dislike is for some players, Hooper in particular.

For sure he has, and that is easily seen in the brief exposure we can see in interviews, but its relevance is tempered by his ability to overcome the baggage of the past with other players. The comments from others and from himself to referees indicate that perhaps he has not regained the personal capital required to lead, regardless of his growth and maturity now as opposed to then and the wholly relevant fact that he is without doubt the only player performing at the Tahs to a professional standard.

My comment whilst I state I do not really support Hooper as Captain (there is nobody else demanding selection to push him out of it at the Tahs that's for sure) was more about the other players and their lack of maturity and professionalism in being able to be "led", that the entitlement culture is preventing it and those matters mentioned are the reasons why he is largely ineffective as Captain.

In saying that I don't think anybody else would do any better due to those very same reasons, the culture is that broken.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For sure he has, and that is easily seen in the brief exposure we can see in interviews, but its relevance is tempered by his ability to overcome the baggage of the past with other players.

I think he'd have far more baggage to overcome with his teammates if he hadn't stood up for him teammate in that situation and just about any situation.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think he'd have far more baggage to overcome with his teammates if he hadn't stood up for him teammate in that situation and just about any situation.

Quite likely given how poor the culture is reported to be in the Tahs and Wallabies, and from the evidence we have seen over the years.

Perhaps we should ask Ben Mowen what happens to a leader how tries to encourage a better culture and some accountability.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The captain none of the players liked and the coach didn't want the ARU to go to any efforts to retain?

A leader doesn't have to be liked, respect is essential though, and some schools of thought say that a leader being "liked" is not doing their job.

In any case my point about the culture and the effects stands.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The captain none of the players liked and the coach didn't want the ARU to go to any efforts to retain?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mowen was considered a very popular and well respected captain at the Brumbies wasn't he? I do think it is a very one sided comment to suggest any problems at Wallabies level should sit squarely on the shoulders of Mowen.

I thought it was pretty broadly acknowledged that there was a significant problem with culture and attitude amongst the playing squad.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And I'm sorry - but standing up for your team mates no matter what they do is poor leadership.

Standing up for what is right is leadership. Period.

And, whilst I have no experience with elite rugby, in my experience good people
will respond to genuine leadership with integrity.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that Hooper was right or wrong. I wasn't there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mowen was considered a very popular and well respected captain at the Brumbies wasn't he? I do think it is a very one sided comment to suggest any problems at Wallabies level should sit squarely on the shoulders of Mowen.

I thought it was pretty broadly acknowledged that there was a significant problem with culture and attitude amongst the playing squad.

He was pretty solid at the Tahs as well

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hooper is considered a very popular and well respected captain at the Waratahs isn't he? I do think it is a very one sided comment to suggest any problems at Wallabies level should sit squarely on the shoulders of Hooper.
Sometimes find and replace is fun

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A leader doesn't have to be liked, respect is essential though, and some schools of thought say that a leader being "liked" is not doing their job.

In any case my point about the culture and the effects stands.

We had a captain grumpy (a "respect" captain) and now we have a guy who leads by example, neither have created that "winning culture" because we aren't very good at the moment.

I personally think we get over excited about the whole "captainship" stuff. It has always looked to me like a thankless task that may have a 1% influence on a team at best. When you are 20% worse than the best sides - really ............ we have many bigger concerns.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)

From what I understand the biggest stoush was to do with changing the match payment structure at the Wallaby level, the team didn't want to change it, he lost the team and then the rest happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.