• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/01/30/waratahs-trial-hunt

Gibson wants to stay.

Hope it doesn't mean Cron goes.
I think Cron would make a great head coach and Gibson has had more bad than good so far.

Surely cron would be smart enough to realise one year as an assistant coach isn’t proper preparation to be head coach of a super franchise. Hopefully spends a few more years being an assistant and honing his craft before getting the top job

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gibson had a pretty good CV as an assistant coach when he took over as head coach. 2018 was the first year he looked to be doing well as a head coach.

Cron definitely seems promising but currently the expectation is that he can convert what he did as head coach at Norths to being a top Super Rugby head coach.

His first year as forwards coach was really good and made a big difference to the Waratahs. Whilst he might be the heir apparent I don't think it would be reasonable to think that he's ready to be a success in 2020.

Anyway, it will be interesting. Would a foreign club take a punt on Cron as head coach?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting from Gibbo today.

"When Karmichael first joined us, and when we were recruiting him, we always had that position (no.12) in mind,”

"One of the things we wanted to bring to our side is a real defensive edge, and physicality, into that position. Again with the recruitment of Adam Ashley-Cooper, who is a renowned defensive genius, and with Karmichael, it really gives us some stiffness there in the midfield. It also gives us a lot of options in depth, which allows us through the season to better manage our squad.”

With those comments it seems Beale is going to fullback with Folau to the wing.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I do hope they roll out with this backline -

Gordon
Foley
Rona/Hansen
Hunt
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Beale

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think been a WC year you'll see something like this

9. Gordon/Phipps
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Beale
13. Hunt
14. Rona
15. Folau

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think been a WC year you'll see something like this

9. Gordon/Phipps
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Beale
13. Hunt
14. Rona
15. Folau

Papers have Gibson keen to improve the backs defence, hence Hunt kicking of the uear at 12 so it could be

9. Gordon/Phipps
10. Foley
11. Rona
12. Hunt
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. Beale

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Papers have Gibson keen to improve the backs defence, hence Hunt kicking of the uear at 12 so it could be

9. Gordon/Phipps
10. Foley
11. Rona
12. Hunt
14. Folau
15. Beale
Defensively, hell of a lot better than 12. Beale 13. Rona.

Does AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have the legs to be starting 13 regularly though?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Old legs, but a good brain

There is also a load off flexibility to let AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) put in a shift and bring on a dynamic strike weapon for the last 15 (all we have to do is find one)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

Time will tell. There’s some decent depth in the outside backs with Newsome, Clark and Foketi to allow tinkering with wing/13. I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) held up well for the Wallabies

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So we are looking at:
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Rona
12. Hunt
13. Ashley Cooper
14. Folau
15. Beale

I like it personally as feel Beale could develop more by playing 15 with more space to see more of that better natural attacking flair he has rather than the crabbing game we see him play at 12.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rona been disappointment for me so in many ways not that sad heading to Europe as who knows may spend a few years over there and come back better player for last few years he has left in the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rona been disappointment for me so in many ways not that sad heading to Europe as who knows may spend a few years over there and come back better player for last few years he has left in the game.

He was outstanding for the first two thirds of last season. His form fell away at the end of the year right when a couple more good games would have probably got him the Wallabies 13 jersey.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
yep fair point BH unfortunately I probably am reflecting too much on Rona's form towards the end of the season and also form for NRC rays which was also a bit ordinary cf the early part of the season where he was tearing it up

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

9. Gordon/Phipps
10. Foley
11. Rona
12. Hunt
14. Folau
15. Beale

I wonder if this new love-in #oneteam structure that has Cheika and the Super Coaches working so well together might have a say on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.