• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting to see that the Tahs have not locked down Cron for Head Coach next year, "The Waratahs will be facing some list management challenges after this season, with head coach Daryl Gibson off contract, forwards coach Simon Cron also off contract and Phipps and Rona headed to England.
No doubt trying to avoid another Link debacle.

I wouldn't expect any announcements there untill the die is cast this season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The previous speculation was that it would be between Cron and Whitaker. I guess they have high hopes for Whitaker's impact on the team this season.

I think they need to ensure they don't wait too long on a decision but they do have some time to assess before Northern Hemisphere teams start making moves for the 2019/20 season.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has Gibson said he wants out? Or are people assuming he will not be reappointed?

It won't surprise me if Taylor comes into the mix.

I don't think Gibson wants to leave but I also don't think he will get reappointed. They also probably need to make a decision before the season finishes which has the propensity to make them look stupid.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What's everyone think the lineup will be this year?

I'm hoping for:

1 Kepu
2 Latu
3 Vui
4 Holloway
5 Simmons
6 Dempsey
7 Hooper
8 Wells
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12 Beale
13 Hunt
14 Rona
15 Folau

16 HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
17 Fitzpatrick
18 ?
19 Hanigan
20 Miller
21 Gordon
22 Mason
23 Newsome

It's interesting to note that Holloway and Hanigan are listed in the squad as "locks", not back rowers. I think at Super Rugby level they are better suited to the 2nd row, and it allows us to include Wells AND Dempsey, with the former being the best forward of our 2018 campaign. He's really growing year on year, and Dempsey / Wells would play heavier at 6 / 8 than Hanigan / Dempsey would. It maximises the grunt of our grunt-less pack, whilst keeping it hyper mobile.

Newsome to pip John Folau on the bench due to versatility, but I really hope the latter develops into a real strike winger.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
What's everyone think the lineup will be this year?

I'm hoping for:

1 Kepu
2 Latu
3 Vui
4 Holloway
5 Simmons
6 Dempsey
7 Hooper
8 Wells
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12 Beale
13 Hunt
14 Rona
15 Folau

16 HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
17 Fitzpatrick
18 ?
19 Hanigan
20 Miller
21 Gordon
22 Mason
23 Newsome

It's interesting to note that Holloway and Hanigan are listed in the squad as "locks", not back rowers. I think at Super Rugby level they are better suited to the 2nd row, and it allows us to include Wells AND Dempsey, with the former being the best forward of our 2018 campaign. He's really growing year on year, and Dempsey / Wells would play heavier at 6 / 8 than Hanigan / Dempsey would. It maximises the grunt of our grunt-less pack, whilst keeping it hyper mobile.

Newsome to pip John Folau on the bench due to versatility, but I really hope the latter develops into a real strike winger.

Wells will be out for sometime with his 7s commitments. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dempsey at 8 with Miller (or Hanigan) at 6.

I'd also expect the backs as above with 11 Rona, 13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 14 Folau, 15 Hunt.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Michael,
I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) will start at loose head (until Tom Robbo returns) with Kepu at tight head and Vui on the bench. Lock depends on how Roets shapes up. He could join Simmonds there, but if he doesn't step up I see it as a three way battle between Staniforth, Hanigan & Holloway. If Roets starts, with Wells missing a bit of footy, I think it will be either Hanigan at 6 and Dempsey 8, or Holloway at 8 with Dempsey at 6.
I think you're likely to be on the money with the backs, although it also wouldn't surprise me to see 9 Phipps, 10 Foley, 11 Rona, 12 Beale, 13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 14 Folau and 15 Hunt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tahs team list for their trial v the Highlanders

1 Harry Johnson-Holmes
2 Andrew Tuala
3 Shambeckler Vui
4 Jed Holloway (Vice Captain)
5 Ryan McCauley
6 Lachlan Swinton
7 Will Miller (Captain)
8 Hugh Sinclair
9 Mitch Short
10 Mack Mason
11 Cameron Clark
12 Karmichael Hunt
13 Lalakai Foketi
14 Curtis Rona
15 Alex Newsome

Bench
16 JP Sauni
17 Rory O’Connor
18 Chris Talakai
19 Le Roux Roets
20 BJ Edwards
21 Pat Tafa
22 Jake Gordon
23 Ben Donaldson
24 Will Harrison
25 Richard Woolf
26 Will Harris
27 Cody Walker

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
That's what I thought, didn't watch much SS but saw a few of his tries, would be nice to see him at the next level

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs team list for their trial v the Highlanders

1 Harry Johnson-Holmes

2 Andrew Tuala

3 Shambeckler Vui

4 Jed Holloway (Vice Captain)

5 Ryan McCauley

6 Lachlan Swinton

7 Will Miller (Captain)

8 Hugh Sinclair

9 Mitch Short

10 Mack Mason

11 Cameron Clark

12 Karmichael Hunt

13 Lalakai Foketi

14 Curtis Rona

15 Alex Newsome

Bench

16 JP Sauni

17 Rory O’Connor

18 Chris Talakai

19 Le Roux Roets

20 BJ Edwards

21 Pat Tafa

22 Jake Gordon

23 Ben Donaldson

24 Will Harrison

25 Richard Woolf

26 Will Harris

27 Cody Walker

Interesting looking depth side. A few kids getting a run.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The previous speculation was that it would be between Cron and Whitaker. I guess they have high hopes for Whitaker's impact on the team this season.

I think they need to ensure they don't wait too long on a decision but they do have some time to assess before Northern Hemisphere teams start making moves for the 2019/20 season.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/01/30/waratahs-trial-hunt

Gibson wants to stay.

Hope it doesn't mean Cron goes.
I think Cron would make a great head coach and Gibson has had more bad than good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.