• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Holloway had a poor game against the Sunwolves. He was good against the Hurricanes though.

If he's going to play in the backrow I think he will ultimately end up on the bench or outside the matchday 23.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Holloway had a poor game against the Sunwolves. He was good against the Hurricanes though.

If he's going to play in the backrow I think he will ultimately end up on the bench or outside the matchday 23.
Probably. So be it. Makes things more competitive for the 6 spot. That's healthy. He's a really good player.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Holloway played his best rugby since moving to lock and for me been fairly consistent enough that whilst theoretically he may not be a classic lock, based on actual results it suggests the Tahs are not doing too badly having him at lock.

Problem is Holloway was never convincing at 6 or 8 so makes it hard to say we would be better moving him back to either of those positions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He wasn't against the less than stellar Sunwolves or other games. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player but he's in limbo. He's a backrower -- a 6, trying to play as a lock in a side that is lacking physical authority. He's on a hiding to nothing playing in the tight five or as an 8.

who was?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Holloway played his best rugby since moving to lock and for me been fairly consistent enough that whilst theoretically he may not be a classic lock, based on actual results it suggests the Tahs are not doing too badly having him at lock.

Problem is Holloway was never convincing at 6 or 8 so makes it hard to say we would be better moving him back to either of those positions.

Hollaway is a unit with the ability to get his team over the gain line, the challenge is that at 6 or 8 he ends up being a "David Lyons" type edge runner who drifts in and out of games.

When they stuck him at lock, he does more all round work, plays tighter and puts in a decent shift. So at lock he compliments Simmons who is a less effective ball runner but the lineout boss.

Now if Routs turns up we have three locks whose skills compliment eachother

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So he sits out till Sharks on April 27. Five games + a bye. What does this mean for the 'Tahs hooking stocks going forward?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Latu is the loosest of cannons, surely this marks his card for the World Cup.

Yeah, in a congested field it makes it very hard to pick him. What a waste. He had the potential to be the starting Wallaby hooker and now I wouldn't have him in the top 3.

So he sits out till Sharks on April 27. Five games + a bye. What does this mean for the 'Tahs hooking stocks going forward?

I would assume JP Sauni will get the bench spot. The other option is Andrew Tuala.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There has to be another angle. He took the plea.

Absolutely. I can only assume when you see the reverse angle he actually pulled out a crow bar and kneecapped Ed Quirk.

Unless the vision is absolutely damning, the thing that surprises me by this is that they didn't defend it on the basis that the players were under the assumption that the maul had ended and Latu was tackling the ball carrier. Given that is the effective ruling the referee made at the time it seems reasonable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What I have heard is that the Sunwolf players were furious with whatever he did. Supposedly it was a lift of the leg, drive and twist as falling.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If he pleaded guilty after seeing the other angle of video, I would think it pretty clear cut act of illegal play (some may say filthy play).
So you say its filthy play based on the assumption that he plead guilty because of some nebulous 'other angle' that we aren't allowed to see and are not sure even exists. Sounds like a lot of assumption.

Because it sure as shit doesn't look filthy from the only angle we have.

Maybe he was just advised to plead guilty to reduce the severity of his sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.