• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
How long was the pay-cut for? if they don't get a contract until the Japan season starts back up in November would they even be better off financially?

I'm starting to suspect they've just used this as a chance to jump off a sinking ship.
Pay cut until September apparently.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
How long was the pay-cut for? if they don't get a contract until the Japan season starts back up in November would they even be better off financially?

I'm starting to suspect they've just used this as a chance to jump off a sinking ship.

100% they have.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

How are the Reds a sinking ship?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but the NSW Government finally appointed a new builder for the new Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park.

John Holland is the builder and work is apparently underway.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno - a player gets to pick his time to hang up the boots. He’s had a great career. Was never going to be a superstar but a very solid super rugby player who, it could be said, got the best out of himself when he really doesn’t match the profile of the modern day hooker.

Unless of course there is more to it - but otherwise I always think it’s great when players can pick their own departure. Not all are so lucky.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I dunno - a player gets to pick his time to hang up the boots. He’s had a great career. Was never going to be a superstar but a very solid super rugby player who, it could be said, for best out of himself when he really doesn’t match the profile of the modern day hooker.

Unless of course there is more to it - but otherwise I always think it’s great when players can pick their own departure. Not all are so lucky.

He was going to retire after last season but was convinced to play out this year. With the COVID break I can imagine he just decided not to continue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They have canned the redevelopment so it can be used, but I doubt the Tahs will use it due to it being >40,000

I think they canned the development because of the cost and public support to the project, there was still sufficient stadiums to use in the interim.

Also the 40,000 limit doesn’t mean they can’t use ANZ, just means the attendance is capped at 40,000. Tahs could use it

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think they canned the development because of the cost and public support to the project, there was still sufficient stadiums to use in the interim.

Also the 40,000 limit doesn’t mean they can’t use ANZ, just means the attendance is capped at 40,000. Tahs could use it
No, that’s not my understanding. They have capped the attendance for stadia up to 40,000 at 25% capacity. For bigger stadia they haven’t come up with anything yet. My thoughts were that they could cap the attendance at the bigger ones at 10,000 and someone at the press conference asked that exact question, and the response was ‘they are working on something’. Didn’t make much sense and hopefully they will announce something soon, but for now ANZ, Suncorp, SCG, MCG, etc can only use corporate and function areas. So if I were the Tahs, under the current restrictions, I’d be avoiding ANZ.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Seems pretty stupid, 10,000 fans in a 50,000 capacity stadium are going to have greater social distancing then 10,000 fans in a 40,000 capacity stadium.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes I know. I just did a bit more research and it seems that the rationale is that these constraints would make the hiring of these bigger stadia financially unviable. So the venue owners are to negotiate with their relevant state health authorities to come up with a plan. It’s a watch this space situation. Given Gladys’ announcements earlier today, I would say the one person per 4 square metre rule would seem pretty logical for ANZ and the SCG.

On a related matter, I heard from a friend close to the action that during the height of the lockdown, when hospitality businesses were hanging on by a bit of dental floss, the big retailers who were allowed to stay open (no names mentioned), in calculating the numbers allowed on their premises under the 1 per 4 rule were including their car parks and outdoor storage facilities in their area. So if I was ANZ, at the very least I would be including the playing surface.