• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they canned the development because of the cost and public support to the project, there was still sufficient stadiums to use in the interim.

I agree. I think they used the COVID-19 situation as a convenient excuse to can a project that didn't have much support from anyone except the NRL (who will always be happy to have public money spent on the stadiums they use).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I always thought they should have built a new stadium at central station rather then rebuild Moore park. Sydney’s biggest issue for stadiums is PT access and surrounding entertainment, even with the light rail moore park still sucks. Homebush is central to the greater Sydney population, but also located near nothing. People don’t want to just to go a sporting match, they want to have dinner beforehand or kick on with beers after. The 40m train ride back to central is a bit of a buzz kill.

People talk about the Sydney culture of not attending sporting games compared to Brisbane or Melbourne, I think that’s rubbish, people in Sydney are just as interested in their sports as other Australian cities. I think it’s simply a case of having stadiums built in the wrong areas

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I always thought they should have built a new stadium at central station rather then rebuild Moore park. Sydney’s biggest issue for stadiums is PT access and surrounding entertainment, even with the light rail moore park still sucks. Homebush is central to the greater Sydney population, but also located near nothing. People don’t want to just to go a sporting match, they want to have dinner beforehand or kick on with beers after. The 40m train ride back to central is a bit of a buzz kill.

People talk about the Sydney culture of not attending sporting games compared to Brisbane or Melbourne, I think that’s rubbish. I think it’s simply a case of having stadiums built in the wrong areas.

I disagree, Moore Park is the ideal location for me ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

People talk about the Sydney culture of not attending sporting games compared to Brisbane or Melbourne, I think that’s rubbish, people in Sydney are just as interested in their sports as other Australian cities. I think it’s simply a case of having stadiums built in the wrong areas
That concept plan where the stadium was literally on top of Central Station would have been amazing. Can't see how Sydney would survive without an operational Central Station for a few years though.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
On a more serious note, I have no issue with Homebush as a location. We'd generally have a few beers and meal in town and jump on the ferry up the parra river- a bloody great way to get there (and yes the train on the way home is rubbish) but the pre-game makes up for it somewhat. I stopped going because the stadium is farking rubbish. You're a zillion miles away from the action and viewing is shite. Before anyone jumps in I've been lucky enough to attend at both corp hospitality and the best seats in the house in the life membership seats. It's still shit to watch a game. Lang Park is a million times better, hell even the very top row at Twickers, which is about a mile in the sky, is better than the most expensive seats at Homebush.

sorry gone a bit OT. But NSW need a home ground - where it will end up now is a bloody mystery - please not the SCG for reasons spelled out above.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Tom Decent is reporting on Twitter that Jason Gilmore, coach of the U20 Wallabies, is being brought in as Tahs defence coach, with Phil Bailey moving on. Gilmore seems like a good coach, could be really positive. Although I'd also like to see consistency in the coaching of the junior rep teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that sucks. Reds had to cut their D coach and replaced him internally with our analyst.

Tahs cut their D coach and RA give them one of top young coaches in the country and a QLDer at that!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tom Decent is reporting on Twitter that Jason Gilmore, coach of the U20 Wallabies, is being brought in as Tahs defence coach, with Phil Bailey moving on. Gilmore seems like a good coach, could be really positive. Although I'd also like to see consistency in the coaching of the junior rep teams.

Consistency didn't really work with Adrian Thompson or David Nucifora. I like the three year model (two years as an assistant one year as head coach then you move on). The program will still report into Scott Johnson (so he can be your constant). Super Rugby assistant coaches to be NRC (or equivalent) head coaches. Club coaches to be assistant NRC coaches. We need a pathway for coaches too.

Gilmore was put in a poor position at the Reds and I imagine he would have learned plenty from that experience.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Think the intention is that Gilmore will return to U20s when that comp gets up and running again.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Consistency didn't really work with Adrian Thompson or David Nucifora. I like the three year model (two years as an assistant one year as head coach then you move on). The program will still report into Scott Johnson (so he can be your constant). Super Rugby assistant coaches to be NRC (or equivalent) head coaches. Club coaches to be assistant NRC coaches. We need a pathway for coaches too.

Gilmore was put in a poor position at the Reds and I imagine he would have learned plenty from that experience.

The shrivelling of the coaching pathways is perhaps the most under-appreciated part of the whole mess Australian rugby is currently in. Develop one good player, and you've got one good player. Develop one good coach, and you'll get dozens of good players over a career. At every level from under 8s up.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Well, it's pretty tough for Bailey, arriving only just before the season, huge changes in players, lot of young players, new head coach, only working as a contractor, and only six games in. Hard to blame him altogether.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
If he was a contractor, it sounds like he was expendable and they had a full time resource that could be redeployed. I imagine that there are 1000s of businesses who have also made this decision.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nice insight on defence & attitude

First as a player under Tim Sheens at Canberra, and then as an assistant to Craig Bellamy at Melbourne, Maguire understands that defence is about far more than systems.
It's a window into a player's character; about how deep he will dig in the toughest of circumstances.
The philosophy is straight out of the Bellamy playbook: train with game-like intensity so, when you get into any situation on the field, you're mentally and physically prepared to handle it. The proof is in how many close matches you have won over the years.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ba...an-the-wests-tigers-need-20200617-p553kb.html

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ahhh, Now I'll be able to watch the Tahs in a whole different light. My first comment is that I expect them to show improvement over their early season form. Next, if they get Maddocks into the 15 spot, hopefully it changes any inclination he might have had to leave the country.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Given he hasn’t turned up at the Force I’m tipping Horwitz to fill the hole. And yes Maddocks to 15.

KB (Kurtley Beale) was on a boat party on Friday hosted by Alan Jones, and given the other attendees it looks like he might be starting a career in politics.