• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Looks like the Tahs will be signing lots of kids to start rebuilding the club. Cotton, McDonald, Tizzano, Donaldson, Harrison, Harris and Tafa, Bell. All good prospects for the future.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You assume he wanted to go to the Tahs. I wouldn't be convinced of that!

Sydney boy who wasn’t given much of an opportunity here who’s rugby gave him two years in Ireland and two years in Perth?

He’s only 23/24 and he’s lived in three cities since being 18.

If he’s enjoying it, I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to tick Melbourne off too.

They have a better squad anyway. He’d be mad to come home.

Plus I prefer when young players take contracts outside of their home town.

If he comes back he’ll be getting pissed every weekend with his school and Randwick mates, who can afford to do so because they’re carpenters or accountants or marketers who don’t need their body to be in tip top shape.

Chuck him in a city where his only friends are his team mates and watch him prosper. Make him live with Reece Hodge for a bit. Bingo bango bongo we’ve got ourselves an athlete.

Reactions: Tex

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sydney boy who wasn’t given much of an opportunity here who’s rugby gave him two years in Ireland and two years in Perth?

He’s only 23/24 and he’s lived in three cities since being 18.

If he’s enjoying it, I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to tick Melbourne off too.

They have a better squad anyway. He’d be mad to come home.

Plus I prefer when young players take contracts outside of their home town.

If he comes back he’ll be getting pissed every weekend with his school and Randwick mates, who can afford to do so because they’re carpenters or accountants or marketers who don’t need their body to be in tip top shape.

Chuck him in a city where his only friends are his team mates and watch him prosper. Make him live with Reece Hodge for a bit. Bingo bango bongo we’ve got ourselves an athlete.

Sad inditement of life in Sydney.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Plenty of young blokes go off to live away from home and end up partying too much. If anything I thought that there was an increased push to keep kids at home near to their parents for longer.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Plenty of young blokes go off to live away from home and end up partying too much. If anything I thought that there was an increased push to keep kids at home near to their parents for longer.

I think it depends on the kid and how the club supports them.

But you can't stop a kid (or adult) going through KFC each night after training or going on a bender and falling asleep on Cleveland St. In the end they have personal responsibility or they don't

Some units take their opportunities, others don't for a plethora of reasons

There has been some studies with AFL clubs on some of the nebulous factors to take into account picking up a young draftee, a lot was down to meeting their parents and gaining insight from their teachers and coaches. With great talent sometimes comes a great propensity for risk taking, that can lead to those special moments on the field and also doing drugs, gambling etc

It ain't an exact science

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have thought that Sydney's lack of nightlife would be good for some of these troublesome young ones... ;)

It is still better than it was when I was searching for somewhere to drink at 2.00am as a munchkin

That sad trudge to and from the cross in the early morning because no taxi would pick your drunk arse up seems to be forgotten

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, I had a good ol' time getting my Oliver Reed on at the Baxter Inn last year.........

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Looks like the Tahs will be signing lots of kids to start rebuilding the club. Cotton, McDonald, Tizzano, Donaldson, Harrison, Harris and Tafa, Bell. All good prospects for the future.

I really like what I've seen of Harrison. Good skills, good instincts, and a calm and steadiness that belie his years. He also has that quality that Giteau and O'Connor had as young lads- the ability to play bigger than he is; and I think a lot of it is balance and core strength. I'm far from sold on Mack Mason, and when he turns out to be the next Tim Donnelly, we need to make sure Harrison is up to speed and ready to step in.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
So watching the NRC besides the players already signed or re-signed who else looks like they might be worth a shot at a contract?