• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep, Cheika will be inheriting a completely different team to what he inherited last time, arguably with much of the countries emerging talent locked up into longer term contracts which he can’t poach either.

Different ballgame Waratahs 2.0

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, Cheika will be inheriting a completely different team to what he inherited last time, arguably with much of the countries emerging talent locked up into longer term contracts which he can’t poach either.

Different ballgame Waratahs 2.0
I reckon he’d probably like the challenge. Maybe some of the younger talent leaving NSW might change too. Who knows? Who did he poach last time, if that was your suggestion - honest question on reading your post?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I reckon he’d probably like the challenge. Maybe some of the younger talent leaving NSW might change too. Who knows? Who did he poach last time, if that was your suggestion - honest question on reading your post?

Between Michael Foleys Waratahs squad in 2012 and Cheikas squad which won the 2014 Grand Final, Kurtley Beale, Michael Hooper, Israel Folau and Jacques Potgieter were all added. 4 of the most influential players in the team.

Yes KB (Kurtley Beale) was a returning player, so ‘poaching’ may have been a poor term, but my point is Cheika was able to bolster his squad with 3 of the best players in Australian rugby, doing that again is unlikely given the long term contracts been thrown about.

B

Bobby Sands

I think thats great. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) seems like a player who just really enjoys his rugby. I think that positive energy has to be a good thing for the Tahs, not to mention his developing game which has been great to watch.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is a ripper to my eye, both as a bloke and a player. Swinton is a real player too. You can build a nasty pack around players like those.

I would be looking at Kemeny & Gamble from the NRC too.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

So what are the support staff vacancies? I assumed Chris Whitaker would still be the backs coach, especially since hes the Sydney NRC Coach. Is Steve Tandy still around as the defence coach? Obviously they need a new forwards coach to replace Simon Cron. Where would Mark Gerrard slot into that mix? are ex-backs allowed to coach forwards? :)

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
So what are the support staff vacancies? I assumed Chris Whitaker would still be the backs coach, especially since hes the Sydney NRC Coach. Is Steve Tandy still around as the defence coach? Obviously they need a new forwards coach to replace Simon Cron. Where would Mark Gerrard slot into that mix? are ex-backs allowed to coach forwards? :)

Tandy has a contract. New Forwards coach, new skills coach needed. Gerrard maybe gets backs coach with Whitaker moving to skills maybe??

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Steve Hansen was a centre and Graham Henry a halfback, they seemed to cope with coaching forwards.

It was a somewhat toungue-in-cheek comment LearningCurve (hence the smily). But in all seriousness were either ever a forwards coach (the role the Waratahs have vacant) or just head coaches of forwards with a supporting forwards coach? I guess what I'm saying is I'd find it a little odd to have someone who has never scrummaged in their life tell a bunch of players how to do it - hence my comment.

Tandy has a contract. New Forwards coach, new skills coach needed. Gerrard maybe gets backs coach with Whitaker moving to skills maybe??

Ok, wasn't sure if Tandy was signed up. Without being behind closed doors he did seem to have a positive impact on our defence (blue wall) and from all reports and the players responded well to him so happy enough to see him still around. Some continuity probably isn't bad either, especially with this new head coach appointment coming so late.

Gerrard I've always found an intelligent observer of the game whenever I've heard him talk. He did well with Warringah this year in the SS so hopefully he is able to add value if he gets a role.

I'm just happy to see some Australian coaches in and around our Super Rugby teams even if we end up with Kwiis and SA's as head coaches. Need to keep building that coaching depth and I'm ok for us (Australian coaches) to be learning off coaches from other countries/systems.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
After watching the NRC Ryan McCauley needs to spend the entire off season in the gym hitting the heavy weights and listening to eye of the tiger over and over

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

After watching the Sydney Game Whitaker can't be the skills coach

After watching the Tahs season he can't coach attack either

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
After watching the NRC Ryan McCauley needs to spend the entire off season in the gym hitting the heavy weights and listening to eye of the tiger over and over

How the frig does Ireland breed somebody like James Ryan, I wonder? Whatever it is, we should copy it.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
After watching the Sydney Game Whitaker can't be the skills coach

After watching the Tahs season he can't coach attack either

I missed todays game (will watch a replay or at least highlights later), but the final score didn't look too good. To be fair to Whitaker, I think NRC is a bit of an odd comp with the short lead in and number of rounds not to mention players being available or not at certain times.

I guess we'll have more of an idea of how he's travelling when the new season starts.