• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
From watching the NRC, I think the Tahs should take a good look at signing Mark Nawaqanitawase.

Fast, good footwork, solid on defence and an insanely high vertical that almost makes Folau look bad.

Considering the Tahs have lost 3 outside backs since last season, I don't think there are any better unsigned wingers going around.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
From watching the NRC, I think the Tahs should take a good look at signing Mark Nawaqanitawase.

Fast, good footwork, solid on defence and an insanely high vertical that almost makes Folau look bad.

Considering the Tahs have lost 3 outside backs since last season, I don't think there are any better unsigned wingers going around.

I think he is on the books already

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

I think he is on the books already

He definitely looks good at NRC level and what I saw of him in the Junior Wallabies.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

No subscription so can't read unfortunately.

3 year deal and known for developing players

It'll be interesting to see what he is like. He appears to come with a little more experience than Gibson had, having been involved in a few different competitions (ITM/Pro12/Top League) as head coach rather than Gibson who seemed to have a run of assistant positions before taking the Waratahs head coach role.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Well Hore said the new coach will have the say in the final contract spots for the squad. If he doesn't come until November I really hope he has already picked them

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Well Hore said the new coach will have the say in the final contract spots for the squad. If he doesn't come until November I really hope he has already picked them

Well if the rumour about Gerrard is correct then that might be the case (i.e. he's already involved in selecting his team now). I think the 3yr contract will be essential as I think we might have to resign ourselves to a Red's like senario of rebuilding.

You'd hope that the Tah's have a little left in the kitty after loosing some of their big name players to fill out the roster.

Is there any word on players like Hunt or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s movements for next year?.... and what ever happened with that SA Lock Le Roux Roets, I can't recall him even playing one game? seemed the oddest signing last year.

... oh and did I see Jed Holloways name correctly over at Munster? he on a short term contract? I miss seeing him lumber around the field in the NRC.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently even the Daily Terror has it:
https://t.co/8I6QQijDh7

Here's the last three paragraphs from the Terror article:

Having lost several senior players to overseas clubs, the Waratahs are embarking on a new rebuilding phase so wanted someone who can mentor the brightest young talent.
“The biggest thing we were looking for from a performance point of view was some definite winning success in senior level competitions as well as the ability to be engaged and involved and in a development pathway,” Rapp said.

“It’s really important that a head coach coming into our environment now, when we’ve got such a wealth of young players and coaching staff coming through, has got the experience and real interest to bring these elite young players through.”

Surprising the Moaning Hurled hasn't run anything yet (unless all their snouts are in Japan, and really just waiting for the official word)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Nawaqanitawase looks a very good prospect to me. As do Harris & Harrison. Bell looked good too, but I am not 100% confident he can step up at the next level. I don’t thing you ever really now that about a prop especially for 2-3 years.

NSW have some good young kids in their stable plus a core group of talented guys like Robertson, Dempsey, Swinton & HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Who are either youngsters themselves or at least have another 4-5 years in front of them (barring injury). Hopefully they invest in youth now so that they yield the benefits in 2-3 years.

They really need to pick up the next 2-3 good young locks though. They are comfortably behind every other team in that regard.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
They really need to pick up the next 2-3 good young locks though. They are comfortably behind every other team in that regard.

Yes, Qld are doing well on that front - Hockings, Blyths and obviously Rodda - a lot of talent developing well, all out of those earlier NRC Teams. The Brumbies were able to pick up Sydney boy Nick Frost for next season who looks like he might have potential. I'm still not sure Staniforth has reached his peek, I see glimpses from him at times, but yes a couple of young locks would be good.

I'm curious to see who Penny picks up, it may give us an idea of where he wants to take the team in terms of style. I think the Tah's have relied too much on certain x-factor players (Folau, Naiyaravoro etc..) it would be nice to have a more balanced team / game plan (not that I'm saying not having some x-factor isn't to be desired).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So the Tah's are continuing the crusaderisation of franchise, development pathways, promote talent from within, work on culture

Reactions: TSR

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
So the Tah's are continuing the crusaderisation of franchise, development pathways, promote talent from within, work on culture

Can't be too bad, those south island cousins of ours seem to do ok, as long as it is about making the lasting changes that help us continue to be a sustainable franchise. I would love to get a sense of a more planned approach to our squad like Brumbies seem to have with Chris Tindell (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...n-brumbies-retention-job-20181009-p508ko.html). It's felt like post Cheika and now post Gibson that there just isn't the same level of continuity that some other clubs seem to have. I just don't feel like we've developed and managed that squad depth as well as some other franchises, but then maybe that’s the trade off of having had so many Wallabies in recent years.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I've also been quite impressed with Donaldson as a potential Fullback/Flyhalf/Wing option.

Seems to have a good pass and kick with a healthy amount of gas.

Might be a good one to develop into the future, particularly as Beale gets on in years.

Up and under

Stan Wickham (3)
I've also been quite impressed with Donaldson as a potential Fullback/Flyhalf/Wing option.

Seems to have a good pass and kick with a healthy amount of gas.

Might be a good one to develop into the future, particularly as Beale gets on in years.

He showed plenty of pace for this try at the U20's World Cup.

I think 10 is his best position but he can also play 15 from what I've seen of him.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He showed plenty of pace for this try at the U20's World Cup.

I think 10 is his best position but he can also play 15 from what I've seen of him.

That was a nice kick and dash. Be interesting what he clocks over 10, 20, 100m etc... He hasn't shown quite the same flair in NRC so far, but does seem to have some potential. The affore mentioned Nawaqanitawase has probably been more of a stand out.

Having the NRC games played next to the RWC games really does highlight the gap for some of these players (eg. just the speed, accuracy, crispness of passing coupled with catching abilities). It is always interesting which of them transistion well at the next level.

There is no doubt we have a lot of young talent that I hope we really manage and develop well, we could have some great future Super Rugby, if not Wallabies if we do.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Official

http://www.nswwaratahs.com.au/news/.../rob-penney-appointed-nsw-waratahs-head-coach

Rob Penney career overview:

2003 – 2005: Assistant Coach (Forwards), Canterbury – National Provincial Championship
2005: Assistant Coach, Crusaders – Super 12
2006 – 2011: Head Coach, Canterbury – National Provincial Championship
2012: Head Coach, New Zealand U20s
2012 – 2014: Head Coach, Munster – Pro 14
2015 – 2018: Head Coach, NTT Communications – Top League
2019: Head Coach, Toyota Shokki Industries – Top Challenge League