• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The pack's decent, I'm actually more underwhelmed by the wingers than any other position. As we saw when we had Taqele and Folau, you can basically make the finals on the strength of your outside backs alone. Unless Tepai delivers, I'm not sure where our strike power is coming in the backline. Kurtley maybe.

I thought Clark went pretty well. Good speed, and came on defensively too (some big hits at times). I think he has some upside.
And I am talking Super level, before someone loses their shit and thinks it's anything more than that! For the same reason Simmons is good to have at Super level - does his core job pretty well.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not quite as impressed by Clark as you seem to be - I've yet to see him break a tackle at Super Rugby. He runs hard and is quick but doesn't have much evasiveness

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Clark is good as the second fullback winger. The problem is that he and Newsome play a similar role. We definitely need a big tackle busting winger as well (to replace Naiyaravoro from 2018 and Rona from 2019).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think Clark is good as the second fullback winger. The problem is that he and Newsome play a similar role. We definitely need a big tackle busting winger as well (to replace Naiyaravoro from 2018 and Rona from 2019).

That's what I think, both can finish a try but neither can create one.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not quite as impressed by Clark as you seem to be - I've yet to see him break a tackle at Super Rugby. He runs hard and is quick but doesn't have much evasiveness

I'd be surprised if he has never broken a tackle in Super Rugby. In any event, he has real speed. That is not something we see enough of. As I said, I think there is upside with his raw talents. Just a gut feel.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For reference, from the Fox Sports Super Rugby stats for 2019:

Cam Clark had 53 runs for 592 run metres, 7 line breaks and 18 tackle busts.
Alex Newsome 89 runs for 783 metres, 10 line breaks and 17 tackle busts.
Curtis Rona 77 runs for 799 metres, 12 line breaks and 19 tackle busts.

Clark played a lot less minutes than Newsome. The only stat he fares badly at in comparison was tries scored where he had 2 vs Newsome's 5 and Rona's 6.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
What about large former Waratah/Wallaby that isn't Will Skelton? Either Sitaleki or Lopeti Tamani.

I quite like the young Skelton - Jeral. I would mind signing him up post his involvement in 7's. He used to be a winger I believe in the XV, not sure exactly where he'd slot in, but I reckon hes an exciting prospect for the future.

Wells to Rebels

That's a shame. I didn't mind Wells, but it was hard to tell where he was at being off with the 7's for patches. I wonder if the Rebels are locking all these contracts down now whilst the Tahs have had no driver at the wheel.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
For reference, from the Fox Sports Super Rugby stats for 2019:

Cam Clark had 53 runs for 592 run metres, 7 line breaks and 18 tackle busts.
Alex Newsome 89 runs for 783 metres, 10 line breaks and 17 tackle busts.
Curtis Rona 77 runs for 799 metres, 12 line breaks and 19 tackle busts.

Clark played a lot less minutes than Newsome. The only stat he fares badly at in comparison was tries scored where he had 2 vs Newsome's 5 and Rona's 6.

Of all those moving on, besides Tolu who I wouldn't mind keeping now, I think it's Rona I'm most disappointed about. I feel like we were just starting to see his best. Kepu, Foley, Phipps etc.. we'd seen some of their best, but Rona I wouldn't have minded to see around another year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Of all those moving on, besides Tolu who I wouldn't mind keeping now, I think it's Rona I'm most disappointed about. I feel like we were just starting to see his best. Kepu, Foley, Phipps etc.. we'd seen some of their best, but Rona I wouldn't have minded to see around another year.

For sure. We were never going to be able to compete salary wise though.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

I think Rona was starting to find his place in the backline and under a new coach I think he would have become a lot better and would have been the strike winger the Tahs need

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I found this line in the article interesting

Seemed like they were seriously looking at Simon Cron potentially moving into the HC role. I know Morgan Turinui has been a little critical of Cron having been ready for such a step up.

Don't be fooled by that rubbish statement from Andrew Hore. When Gibson quit Hore said that Simon Cron wasn't ready and he would have gone into the pool of applicants if he was available. Now he's changed saying they would have "gone down that path". Seriously???

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I quite like the young Skelton - Jeral. I would mind signing him up post his involvement in 7's. He used to be a winger I believe in the XV, not sure exactly where he'd slot in, but I reckon hes an exciting prospect for the future.

That's a shame. I didn't mind Wells, but it was hard to tell where he was at being off with the 7's for patches. I wonder if the Rebels are locking all these contracts down now whilst the Tahs have had no driver at the wheel.

Wells is a good unit, but he was unlikely to start with everyone fit, Dempsey, Haniga, Hooper, will likely start and with Swinton, Tafa & Will Harris coming through - I can see why he may look for other opportunities.

But with Isi starting at the Rebels, I wonder where he will fit there as well

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't be fooled by that rubbish statement from Andrew Hore. When Gibson quit Hore said that Simon Cron wasn't ready and he would have gone into the pool of applicants if he was available. Now he's changed saying they would have "gone down that path". Seriously???

I thought I had heard similar. Hence why I found his statement odd. To be fair as much as I like Simon Cron (did brilliantly with the Norths boys) and he sounded a keen observer of the game whenever I heard him talk, I do think he will be better for some more experience. Hard to argue Penny doesn't come with more depth on the CV front.