• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah pretty poor effort there, especially if the situation eventuates that the new CEO doesn't like the new Coach, or they disagree with each others visions for the organisation, just sets the conditions for more instability later on.
Not ideal, but judging by some comments on forums there will be plenty that are happy for him to move on. I wonder if it was all very sudden or been in motion and it's the rwason why it's taken a while to find a new coach. Oh well, inwards and upwards

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
No issue with him being headhunted it's the fact that he is leaving after a disruptive time, this late in the year and the apparent lack of knowledge of the board.

Also leaving after a major sponsor just left

Very poor by him

Change isn't a bad thing per-say. ie. we needed a change from Gibson, but too much unanticipated change is never good. We have a lot of change at the moment - headcoach, large exodus of players, no set home ground... etc..

Like you said loosing CMC and just having a headcoach come in that you help appoint and then not being around to help smooth his path into the organisation can't be great.

Anyone know much of this Philip Van Schalkwyk holding the reins until they appoint someone else? He looks like an accountant/money man from what I can tell. Been with the Tah's for about decade it seems.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Change isn't a bad thing per-say. ie. we needed a change from Gibson, but too much unanticipated change is never good. We have a lot of change at the moment - headcoach, large exodus of players, no set home ground. etc..

Like you said loosing CMC and just having a headcoach come in that you help appoint and then not being around to help smooth his path into the organisation can't be great.

Anyone know much of this Philip Van Schalkwyk holding the reins until they appoint someone else? He looks like an accountant/money man from what I can tell. Been with the Tah's for about decade it seems.

The Tahs definitely needed a change from Gibson but like I said it has been a very disruptive year with the Folau issues, change of coach, loss of a major sponsor, not making the finals and now him going is not great.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
actually I would think it's the perfect time to move, the season is over, he has time to start up with the new mob and the Tahs have time to settle in with a new CEO - maybe the interim will become the permanent. As far as the coach goes, perhaps that timing is off, but trying to align your path and some one else's path is tricky. At the end of the day, each person has to do what's best for themselves. Can't see that Auckland Blues is a step up given their dismal performance however, he is a kiwi and maybe it was time to go home. Onward and upward for the Tahs.

B

Bobby Sands

Be smart, get someone from the AFL that has some history with rugby. Brendan Gale would never do it, but he would be perfect.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
actually I would think it's the perfect time to move, the season is over, he has time to start up with the new mob and the Tahs have time to settle in with a new CEO - maybe the interim will become the permanent. As far as the coach goes, perhaps that timing is off, but trying to align your path and some one else's path is tricky. At the end of the day, each person has to do what's best for themselves. Can't see that Auckland Blues is a step up given their dismal performance however, he is a kiwi and maybe it was time to go home. Onward and upward for the Tahs.

I almost agree. The problem is that i wasn't on their radar hence recruitment not started. It has the risk of :
a) crunching things through and not getting the right person
b) spending to much time with a stand in
c) getting the right person but with poor timing

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, I do question the concerns about timing of the coach and the roster, they have developed a policy of developing from within and that is set up. They won't be buying a couple of superstars, they just have a few squad spots where they need specific characteristics. Let's see who comes through and is available in the NRC & Mitre 10

We have Penny in November, which is the same kind of timing the Kiwi's, so I can live with it.

Hore has done a lot of good infrastructure wise but we will be consolidating for the next few seasons in trouble times without a home ground

I also do think the deletion of he who must not be named has affected the club more than is being said

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, I do question the concerns about timing of the coach and the roster, they have developed a policy of developing from within and that is set up. They won't be buying a couple of superstars, they just have a few squad spots where they need specific characteristics. Let's see who comes through and is available in the NRC & Mitre 10

We have Penny in November, which is the same kind of timing the Kiwi's, so I can live with it.

Hore has done a lot of good infrastructure wise but we will be consolidating for the next few seasons in trouble times without a home ground

I also do think the deletion of he who must not be named has affected the club more than is being said

Voldemort???

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Don't disagree it was personally best for Horn (and from an individual perspective, good on him if this is what he wants), nor that the timing could have been even worst (ie. mid season etc), but the comments of the board (see: SMH etc..) make it pretty clear he kept this one pretty close to his chest and for some of the reasons mentioned above the timing does seem poor.

At the end of the day though, if his heart isn't in it/doesn't want to be here, the Tah's are probably better off without him - so as you say, onwards and upwards. Now lets get on the phone to Baden Stephenson, maybe he wants to move north again ;)

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Don't disagree it was personally best for Horn (and from an individual perspective, good on him if this is what he wants), nor that the timing could have been even worst (ie. mid season etc), but the comments of the board (see: SMH etc..) make it pretty clear he kept this one pretty close to his chest and for some of the reasons mentioned above the timing does seem poor.

At the end of the day though, if his heart isn't in it/doesn't want to be here, the Tah's are probably better off without him - so as you say, onwards and upwards. Now lets get on the phone to Baden Stephenson, maybe he wants to move north again ;)

I would think Baden Stephenson would be wetting his pants to get back north and get away from the impending train wreck

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Saw the following comment over at another rugby site that starts with RO. Interesting about Hore and Penny if true.

...It’s likely that this will come out in the media over the coming days but as I understand it Hore was against the appointment of Penney as coach and it was NSW Rugby Chairman Roger Davis (and probably the rest of the board) that wanted Penney appointed back in Mid-September. The primary issue was what Penney is going to be paid, apparently it’s eye watering, so I can’t wait for that to be realised in the next annual report (or maybe in 2020). Hore ultimately lost out and Penney was named and as a result he resigned knowing he no longer had the support and confidence of the board. It’s likely that had this Blues job not come up Hore would of been there at least a little longer....

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Saw the following comment over at another rugby site that starts with RO. Interesting about Hore and Penny if true.
Wouldn't have thought the coaches salary would ever get publicly revealed. It will all be wrapped up in the "high performance" budget.

Of coarse it may get leaked, especially if there is a disgruntled CEO on the loose.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

That is interesting because Penny has been stuck in the Japanese back water for a while and to me really needed a better opportunity

Did great with Canterbury/Crusaders
Did OK at Munster eventually
Went to Japan

When you look at a career path, the adjective I see is "stalled"

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Eye watering money to import a third-rate coach!

When we have plenty of second-rate coaches at home ;-0