• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
You blokes missed out Kemeny, he signed with the Rebs!

I do a bit of work with Cranbrook and it just popped up on the old boys thread.

Bit of a loss that I reckon.

Good on Kemeny. I hope he goes well. The more these boys can get Super Rugby experience, the better for AU Rugby all round. He's looked decent in the NRC so hopefully makes the step up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good insight into how a "good club" is run (Saracens) by Andy Goode on the House of Rugby Podcast

It highlights why Skelton re-signed, a good, supportive club that challenges for silverware every year (and pays well)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Is he though? Player heights/weights are often wrong. He looks much bigger than 104kgs to me and every bit a number 8 from what I’ve seen.

Super rugby quality or not remains to be seen, but certainly filling the role at NRC level from what I’ve seen.
Heights and particularly weights listed can be taken with a grain of salt. They get measured when they start and are rarely updated. At 19-20 they have some growing left in them, particularly in the weight department in a professional program. I've met him and he's a huge unit

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It's good to see some some of these players coming through the Gen Blue and NRC comp. Really highlights for me why the RA need to keep the NRC or something similar. Remember Horton playing well in the Shute Shield final. Can't recall Walton's gameplay as much. Have to keep more of any eye out for him in the NSWC games.

I wonder what the average age of the Tah's squad is going to be next year.

B

Bobby Sands

Joey Walton is very highly rated, but have never really seen it myself.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fair point. I wasn’t trying to be critical of the Tahs recruitment in my posts - merely just making the observation that Kemeny looks a good prospect and that I was dubious about the height/weight stats that were posted on him (admittedly only on my observations from TV and having never seen the guy in real life).

He is all class. Have seen him play since school. Always a standout. Was very solid in 2018 AUS u20 campaign. Very good ball runner.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Matt Cockbain is apparently joining as one of the assistant coaches. I like that.

Here's an article with some detail: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-waratahs-coaching-ranks-20191012-p53022.html

Says they are going hard after Hunt too which I like.

I wonder if Gerrard will come in for the last spot or it's someone totally different.

I've got to say I honestly excited for next season. I have tempered expectations, but I think I'll just be happy to see something different.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
As an aside, how do we think Whitaker has been going? He's had control of the Sydney NRC team the last two years and their performances have been all over the shop. To be fair he came in really late last season, but this season he doesn't have that excuse. I can't say I saw a huge change at the Tah's attacking wise under him vs. last year, but maybe it's a little unfair as they lost Folua who I'm sure some of the patterns of paly were built around.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
As an aside, how do we think Whitaker has been going? He's had control of the Sydney NRC team the last two years and their performances have been all over the shop. To be fair he came in really late last season, but this season he doesn't have that excuse. I can't say I saw a huge change at the Tah's attacking wise under him vs. last year, but maybe it's a little unfair as they lost Folua who I'm sure some of the patterns of paly were built around.

The attack for the Tahs was rubbish this year. Pointless, aimless kicking, players looking lost and very little structure. I don't think Whitaker offered much at all.

Sydney also looked lost this year and lost year with Whitaker as head coach. One win in 2 years says a lot.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

Good to see the Tahs are developing their own. Some exciting kids coming through with potential. We may not see it straight away but hopefully as they mature and develop their skills the team will start to reap the rewards.

I think a few more senior heads (And big bruising ball runners) will help this development.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The attack for the Tahs was rubbish this year. Pointless, aimless kicking, players looking lost and very little structure. I don't think Whitaker offered much at all.

Sydney also looked lost this year and lost year with Whitaker as head coach. One win in 2 years says a lot.

I know, and all that concerns me. I'm hoping that with a lot of the old guard in the backline departing and Gibson gone we'll get a good idea of how he's going this year as he really will be able to stamp his mark on things.

The part that concerns me more than what I saw at the Tah's is the Sydney team were we can't say there is any other influences (old senior players, head coaches potentially influencing style of play etc...). I think as you said, they do look rather rather lost at times.

Hopefully Penny can get the most out of him.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
You blokes missed out Kemeny, he signed with the Rebs!

I do a bit of work with Cranbrook and it just popped up on the old boys thread.

Bit of a loss that I reckon.

looks very promising and I wish him well at the Rebels but the Tahs have several youngsters coming through in that position.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)

Attack has been a problem for the Tahs for a few years, but having Naivorovoro and Folau covered it up.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Attack has been a problem for the Tahs for a few years, but having Naivorovoro and Folau covered it up.

To be fair to the backs and our attack, I'm not sure the forwards laid the platform. The whole mobile forward pack was nice PR for we just don't have the go forward. I'm still not sure we'll have it upfront compared to the Brumbies, Reds or even the Rebels, let alone the NZ and SA teams next season. Watching NSWC play I do have some hope it's an area we might be improving in though. As I said, my expectations are tempered for next season, but I love the idea of a change.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I always felt it was fairly bizarre that Cron was the anoited one (edit, not annoyed one!) based on how his forwards have gone for the last couple of years.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I always felt it was fairly bizarre that Cron was the annoyed one based on how his forwards have gone for the last couple of years.

I actually always thought there was more to the Cron/Gibson dynamic than was said. Maybe people closer to it all could say.