• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s an amazing stadium! Just an absolute pain to get to

Something like 35min train ride from Central + 10min walk. Sydney is not Adelaide and it is not the eastern suburbs. It's pretty good and pretty central. If you insist there is usually somewhere in the area you can park a car.

S

Show-n-go

Yea but you gotta get to central first, and driving to parra when there is an event on can be pretty hellish, parking is meh there too

I work semi regularly in parra, it fuckin sucks. Can’t wait for SFS to be opperational again, literally one train trip for everyone in Sydney to get there

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Something like 35min train ride from Central + 10min walk. Sydney is not Adelaide and it is not the eastern suburbs. It's pretty good and pretty central. If you insist there is usually somewhere in the area you can park a car.
Yeah I've been and my job is shifting to Parra next year so I will probably take advantage of it some more.

It's not terribly accessible from my joint though (north).

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
None of the rectangular field games really need it. The roosters don't get massive crowds anymore - an Sydney FC certainly don't.
Where are the Roosters or Sydney FC going to play then? Bankwest is a magnificent stadium but a long way from Bondi and already home to the Eels and Wanderers. I go to watch games at Bankwest, but the crowds last year were poor and showed that most rugby fans won't travel West

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

The crowds for Parra/Wanderers have seen a significant uptick in attendance, highlighting the draw of a modern stadium (yes, it is early days so we'll have to see if the novelty lasts but it seems good so far). I'd have to think a modern stadium in the city would equally be a draw for future fans of all the rectangular sporting codes and those of the historic Sydney clubs (Rooster/Tahs/Syd FC ..etc..) and big ticket events like Internationals or stadium concerts. Couple this with RA's bid for a future World Cup and it makes sense to have an array of modern stadiums around the country.

Also as noted for whatever reason, Parramatta isn't drawing a subset of the population. Maybe as mentioned it is transport issue (train line not being as convenient for those north/south), maybe it's the perceived lack of amenities vs other locations, or maybe its just socio-economic snobbery.. who knows? At the end of day as geographically central as Parramatta is, the fact is that there is still a signification concentration of the Sydney population to the east (+ne/se) of Parramatta making it a market you'd be silly not to service.

Now, should it (SFS) have been torn down in the first place or Bank West even been build over other state needs (Hospitals/Schools etc..), that is a broader question :)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Canterbury no longer sponsoring the Tahs?

Not sure, that was my question. Were they (Canterbury) still producing the uniform/jersey?

It's not clear to me what 'high-performance teamwear' mentioned in the article includes or not. Is it just everything outside the uniform/jersey? as Canterbury have produced a lot of Waratah 'apparel' in the past too.

The second paragraph says 'In addition, they will also supply uniforms for ‘Gen Blue’ junior teams and NSW Rugby referees.' so maybe the distinction is not the uniform/jersey for the main team yet? Could be a smart way of testing their uniforms out before replacing the main team's?

I'm all for supporting Australian companies if it makes sense. I'd have to see it in the flesh, but the photos do make their shirts look like that really shiny polyester looking material that I can't say I'm a fan of.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
If I'm being completely honest. I don't really care about their needs. I don't follow either of those teams or their respective sports to be fair.
I see your point, but I'm saying that a stadium will be built at the old site to cater for their needs so will be available. As a Novocastrian I'd be over the moon if they continued playing a game here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do we know if that extends to the jerseys like for Cronulla/GWS Giants etc.? I assume so which might be a shame as I've always rated the Waratahs Canterbury jerseys. My classic ones might end up being even more classic :)

Footwear & apparel giant, XBlades, has signed a historic three-year partnership with NSW Rugby that will see the NSW Waratahs Super Rugby, Super W, and Academy teams fitted with high-performance teamwear from the Australian brand.

In addition, they will also supply uniforms for ‘Gen Blue’ junior teams and NSW Rugby referees.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
The parra stadium is a major pain in the arse to get to for anyone not on the train line. Would prefer a leisurely bus/tram ride up Anzac Parade ;)

Good stadium though. Reminds me of a mini Lang Park.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Tah's to play a game in Tamworth next year as part of a drought relief fundraising type deal. Sounds pretty good. Good to see Tah's represent NSW not just Sydney.

https://nsw.rugby/news/2019/11/04/nsw-rugby-to-take-the-waratahs-to-tamworth

I know they have agreements with home grounds, membership etc.. and want to make bank, but it would be great for all the AU teams to play at least one regional game each season in much the same way that the NZ have had a game in Fiji that last couple of years.