• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Up and under

Stan Wickham (3)
Looked more like a 15 than a 10 at the U20s I thought. Seems to need a bit of space to show what he can do while Will Harrison is more likely to make space for the rest of his backline.

I hope Penney and co take a closer look at Donaldson. He tends to be left out of conversations with Mason and Harrison. It's probably a shame that both he and Harrison are at the same club but from what I've seen, Donaldson has huge potential as a 10 and is still developing. Great hands, excellent vision, looks to his outsides as the first choice, would be the fastest 5/8 in the Shute Shield comp off the mark, catch and pass very very good and has a huge boot....remind you of anyone ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some evidence to support that notion, but I believe Larkham was first and foremost a No 15, not a No 10 getting experience at 15, when he converted.

EDIT : The closest I have seen to Larkham in the way he plays at the back, or on the wing, is Mac Hanson. I would not be surprised if he converted somewhere down the track.

scrumhalf

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Correct Reg, he was a scrumhalf who played 15 for the Brumbies, then when he first made the Wallabies played on the wing, before transitioning very successfully to 10. That followed a very unsuccessful attempt to move Tim Horan, who was one of the best 12's I've seen play for the Wallabies, to 10. This is why those opposing attempts to move To'omua to 10 aren't a slight on the guy's ability, they're just two very different positions.
Sorry, off topic a bit.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Horan was the best 12 I've seen at test level and probably the worst 10 I've seen at test level. On the upside it made watching David Knox quite enjoyable.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Correct Reg, he was a scrumhalf who played 15 for the Brumbies, then when he first made the Wallabies played on the wing, before transitioning very successfully to 10. That followed a very unsuccessful attempt to move Tim Horan, who was one of the best 12's I've seen play for the Wallabies, to 10. This is why those opposing attempts to move To'omua to 10 aren't a slight on the guy's ability, they're just two very different positions.
Sorry, off topic a bit.

Two things..........

- Bernie started out for the Brumbies at 13

- To'omua was a 10 for many years before he switched to 12, but then remained largely at 10 following that

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
So coming to the end of the decade I guess the ultimate question becomes who was the most successful Australian Super rugby franchise of the decade? (yes I know particularly in the last four seasons its a bit like winning a geriatric race)

I've seen it argued that the Brumbies are the most successful team of the past two RWC cycles because they made more finals appearances. Does that hold up over the whole decade?

Lets first look at how many seasons an Aus franchise was the most successful Aus franchise this decade. Spoiler alert its very tight.

The Reds were twice (2011-12)
The Waratahs four times (2010, 14-15, 18)
The Brumbies also four times (2013, 16-17, 19)

So deciding between the Brumbies and the Waratahs for now the Brums finished ahead of the Tahs 5 times, and 5 times for the Tahs.

lets look at these two teams head to head. There were 19 matches between them. The Waratahs winning 9 times the Brumbies 10. The Hickey and Chieka Tahs enjoyed dominance over the Brumbies but the Foley and Gibson Tahs had one solitary win in 2018. Still its pretty close, is it the deciding factor?

The Waratahs made the finals 5 times (2010-11, 14-15,18)
The Brumbies made the finals 6 times (2013-17, 19)

Does that decide it then? Well one cursory glance at the 2017 season sees the Brumbies finish with 34 competition points while the Blues finish with 37 and end up 9th and missing out on finals. Perhaps this extra finals appearance doesn't provide an accurate measurement of how successful they were after all we've already established that the Brumbies and Tahs were the best Aus team an even amount of times.

What about semi finals?

The Tahs made it to the semis 4 times (2010, 14-15, 18)
The Brumbies also 4 times (2013-15, 19)

And of course they both had a single shot at the grand final.

The Brumbies won a total of 89 matches this decade with 2 draws, the Tahs won 84 with 1 draw. The Brumbies were certainly more consistent. But it could be argued that this consistency was not followed up by "in season" dominance. The Brumbies technically never finished in the top 3 of the season (except by way of conference-winning artificial elevation) leaving them to make up for this in 2013 and 2015 by flying all around the southern hemisphere and ultimately running out of steam. The Tahs finished top 3, 3 times legitimately. And in 2010 they were unlucky not to finish top 2 because the Bulls sent a B team to play the Stormers in the final round, lifting the Stormers to equal wins and 2nd place.

It was of course this "in season" dominance that lead the Tahs all the way to the 2014 championship which when considering how close these two teams were over the decade, could be the deciding factor, no?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
On insta the Rugby.com guys have been doing a 'team of the decade' for each Aussie franchise.

Here is my crack at a Tahs team:

1. Benn Robbo
2. TPN
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas
5. Dean Mumm
6. Dave Dennis
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu

9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Tom Carter
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
15. Kurtley Beale

About 75% of the team picks itself, but there are a few debateable spots in there. Am sure I've missed someone too.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On insta the Rugby.com guys have been doing a 'team of the decade' for each Aussie franchise.

1. Benn Robbo
2. TPN
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas
5. Dean Mumm
6. Dave Dennis
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu

9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Tom Carter
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
15. Kurtley Beale

About 75% of the team picks itself, but there are a few debateable spots in there. Am sure I've missed someone too.

Like Izzy? Or are you doing the PC version?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ah shit that's right, what a blunder!

So I'm left with a Tahs version of a Sophie's choice....... Kurtley Beale or Tom Carter at 12.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I haven't seen the Instagram, but assuming they don't have to actually be Aussies then JacPot would have to be there too. Probably in place of Mumm, or Dennis I guess.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)

1. Benn Robbo
2. TPN
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas
5. Dean Mumm Jacques Potgeiter
6. Dave Dennis
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu

9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Tom Carter Kurtley Beale
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
15. Kurtley Beale Israel Folau

There you go, fixed for you... no problem, my pleasure! ;)