• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Well, that's 2024 done, undoubtedly fairly disappointing. While most Tahs fans weren't expecting a title, most (certainly me) were expecting better than what we got. Personally I thought it was good to see GC in this mornings paper not trot out the usual excuse-laden bullshit we see after a poor season (we are building to something, but for a couple of calls it could have been different etc) but simply said it was disappointing, needed to be better, he needed to have a good hard look at where he can improve, and if he couldn't do better he shouldn't expect to have his contract renewed next year.

So apart from individual performances, as a team where must the improvement come? I guess for me at the top of the list are, in no particular order: Discipline, and giving away far fewer penalties; more accuracy at the breakdown, it's not enough to just turn up, you have to be effective; kicks in play to have a purpose, not just because you can't think of what else to do; creating time and space for our outside backs to attack, we have some fire power there but so rarely are in a position to use it and; reacting much more quickly to a line break, and by that I mean both the oppositions when in defence, and ours when in attack.

It's all very easy for me to sit behind a keyboard and say all this I know, but to me these are the areas where we really let ourselves down this year.

Reactions: dru

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
My understanding for 2024 is that we will lose Latu, Seu, Hooper, Harris and Donaldson, and we are gaining Amatosero and Lee-Warner. Is anyone able to update me on further gains/losses?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
My understanding for 2024 is that we will lose Latu, Seu, Hooper, Harris and Donaldson, and we are gaining Amatosero and Lee-Warner. Is anyone able to update me on further gains/losses?
I thought McArdle might've said Swinton was gone on the broadcast on Friday night, but I haven't heard anything official.

Sounds like there's a bit of interest in Goddard elsewhere too.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
thumbnail_FB_IMG_16863967733381.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Never really thought they would get any further than first week of the finals. Tbh unless they can get can get some depth in the tight 5 it will be more of the same when we currently don't know our starting 10 for next year. Is Miles Amatosero confirmed?

Back 3: Very good starters (Peitsch, Marky, Max) but will need to see Wilson, Dowling kick on to give cover. Harrison may be a 15 option.
Centres: Good. Glad to see Foketi re signed. Was worried it would be another Simone situation. Perese had some moments but isn't durable. Walton looked pretty good and Tuipolotu developing. Sua'ali'i is lurking as someone who may force changes here.
Flyhalf: Think it became clear Donaldson ain't the guy. Not sure Edmed is either. Harrison injured again and Bowen a Rookie
Halfback: Good depth. Gordon always leads the Tahs well IMO and Wilson looks a really good prospect. I personally like Goddard and a squad needs 3 good 9s as shown throughout the franchises this season. I understand if he would want to leave though for more opportunity.
Backrow: Should be looking for more. Hooper, Seu gone who knows about Swinton and Harris. Harris still has a lot of upside. Gamble, Gleeson very good and should start every game when available
2nd Row: Need a guy or two. Hanigan was surprisingly strong and looks to have physically got bigger. Holloway doing these Jed 2.0 things every week. Sinclair has been impressive. Unassuming but gets through a lot of work. Unfortunately you can't have more than a couple of these guys in a squad otherwise you get shown up by the Test loaded packs.
Front Row: Good if fit. If they can all come back fit an healthy I like the Prop depth. The Tahs should be looking for another Hooker. Latu gone but like Halfback you need 3 you trust to start a game.

I know I would have missed players and haven't bothered with the development squad players as I don't see them winning the comp for the Tahs in 2024.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Back Row will definetely need some pick ups then. If you land a 2nd Rower Holloway can go into 6 as well but it's still a required position. Hunter Ward probably becomes the backup 7. Michael Icely was around the squad and played in the Blues round game but that would be a step back from Harris IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm interested in the under 20s prop Jack Barrett. He's been so dominant at under 20 level he must come into consideration for the main squad sooner rather than later.

Is he just a straight replacement for Faulkner so we have Bell, Lambert and Barrett at LHP?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'm interested in the under 20s prop Jack Barrett. He's been so dominant at under 20 level he must come into consideration for the main squad sooner rather than later.

Is he just a straight replacement for Faulkner so we have Bell, Lambert and Barrett at LHP?
Is Barrett already in the Tahs wider squad?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Very good call. Kids a beast. Was very impressed with his performance in the 2 matches v NZ since he's been playing Colts for Randwick.

He looks like he still has a lot scope to put on some size and I hope he gets some grade in him before Super Rugby.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Is Barrett already in the Tahs wider squad?
I don't believe he has been signed but he was in gen blue for multiple years. Saunders is another young outside back that can cover pretty 11, 13, 14, 15. Would be very handy

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Heard we have signed Hayden Thompson-Stringer from La Rochelle
28 year old English loose head prop. Tall boy at 6'3 and 125kg. Bench prop for a few years then starter for all of Brive's games for a couple years then transferred to La Rochelle late on this season in presumably a medical joker. Seems to have played a few games for Manly too. Maybe got an Aussie grandma.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
Never really thought they would get any further than first week of the finals. Tbh unless they can get can get some depth in the tight 5 it will be more of the same when we currently don't know our starting 10 for next year. Is Miles Amatosero confirmed?

Back 3: Very good starters (Peitsch, Marky, Max) but will need to see Wilson, Dowling kick on to give cover. Harrison may be a 15 option.
Centres: Good. Glad to see Foketi re signed. Was worried it would be another Simone situation. Perese had some moments but isn't durable. Walton looked pretty good and Tuipolotu developing. Sua'ali'i is lurking as someone who may force changes here.
Flyhalf: Think it became clear Donaldson ain't the guy. Not sure Edmed is either. Harrison injured again and Bowen a Rookie
Halfback: Good depth. Gordon always leads the Tahs well IMO and Wilson looks a really good prospect. I personally like Goddard and a squad needs 3 good 9s as shown throughout the franchises this season. I understand if he would want to leave though for more opportunity.
Backrow: Should be looking for more. Hooper, Seu gone who knows about Swinton and Harris. Harris still has a lot of upside. Gamble, Gleeson very good and should start every game when available
2nd Row: Need a guy or two. Hanigan was surprisingly strong and looks to have physically got bigger. Holloway doing these Jed 2.0 things every week. Sinclair has been impressive. Unassuming but gets through a lot of work. Unfortunately you can't have more than a couple of these guys in a squad otherwise you get shown up by the Test loaded packs.
Front Row: Good if fit. If they can all come back fit an healthy I like the Prop depth. The Tahs should be looking for another Hooker. Latu gone but like Halfback you need 3 you trust to start a game.

I know I would have missed players and haven't bothered with the development squad players as I don't see them winning the comp for the Tahs in 2024.

I like your run down Ghost. A couple of things:
1. I hope Wilson and Dowling will provide the right cover. They make me nervous because they are largely untried.
2. Flyhalf is a concern. I thought Donaldson was the man but the Pasifika game certainly changed my mind. I'm hoping Edmed or Bowen come good because we badly need them to.
3. We seemed to have heaps of backrowers this year and now we are looking thin. Gamble is our 7 but we need a backup there. I'd like Harris to stay.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I like your run down Ghost. A couple of things:
1. I hope Wilson and Dowling will provide the right cover. They make me nervous because they are largely untried.
2. Flyhalf is a concern. I thought Donaldson was the man but the Pasifika game certainly changed my mind. I'm hoping Edmed or Bowen come good because we badly need them to.
3. We seemed to have heaps of backrowers this year and now we are looking thin. Gamble is our 7 but we need a backup there. I'd like Harris to stay.
Yeah Hunter Ward might be the next 7 in the depth chart now. Started 1 and was on the bench for 2?

With Dowling and Wilson it’s hard because they are untried like you say but everyone is until they get a run. Back 3 being pretty well decided won’t help this but I’m glad they are playing as much SS as possible. Wouldn’t mind them going and playing some NPC. Definitely helped Walton.

Losing Harris now would have a big impact on the squad unless we have guys lined up that we don’t know about yet. He’s still young and has a lot of upside.

The Front row situation is funny. I guess you can’t have enough but maybe a guy like Tauakipulu will fall out of the squad?

Last edited: