• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Wouldn’t surprise me to see Dan Nelson around the group as he was in the pre season. Only took 2 9s to the U20s WC but he played in the NZ series.

Would be the right price unless a guy like Jack grant has nothing else.
New South Wales ( and the other states ) have a lot of great and talented upcoming 9's which is awesome to see across the board. Teddy Wilson, Dan Nelson, Doug Phillipson (force), Klayton Thorn (Brumbies) and Hwi Sharples (tahs u18 squad). We should have a lot of depth to pick from in 2027

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wouldn’t surprise me to see Dan Nelson around the group as he was in the pre season. Only took 2 9s to the U20s WC but he played in the NZ series.

Would be the right price unless a guy like Jack grant has nothing else.
As far as I'm aware, Grant is off contract at the moment - Ealing has released him

The big question for the tahs is probably going to be whether or not they hang onto Goddard - if he's gone you probably want a more experienced guy lack Grant or Meehan to round out the squad, if you hang onto him than Gordon, Wilson and Goddard is probably enough, a 4th halfback would only be another young guy for cheap.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big question for the tahs is probably going to be whether or not they hang onto Goddard

Goddard was on the list of farewelled players. He's gone.

I would be going for a young guy because I think Gordon and Wilson are very clearly the top two and we don't really need competition for that.

Maybe Dan Nelson is the guy? Is Henry Robertson worth another look? He's still only 23.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

I would be going for a young guy because I think Gordon and Wilson are very clearly the top two and we don't really need competition for that.

Maybe Dan Nelson is the guy? Is Henry Robertson worth another look? He's still only 23.
Ah ok, had heard he was rumoured gone, didn't realize it was confirmed.

I'd think Robertson young is fine in that case, but I'd be hesitant to sign another under 20s guy as one of 3 unless they were a real standout. Wilson looks like a talent and ready to at least be the regular back up but I think you want another steady hand around in case Gordon gets injured. Nelson is probably young and cheap enough to sign as a 4th option though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Sydney Boy out of Riverview a couple years ago. Same team as Bowen I think. Only said his name as he’s played Aus U20s this year.

Grant, Meehan are safe options though you know can play at the level when you need them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ah ok, had heard he was rumoured gone, didn't realize it was confirmed.

I'd think Robertson young is fine in that case, but I'd be hesitant to sign another under 20s guy as one of 3 unless they were a real standout. Wilson looks like a talent and ready to at least be the regular back up but I think you want another steady hand around in case Gordon gets injured. Nelson is probably young and cheap enough to sign as a 4th option though.

I'm very happy having Wilson as the second option with the knowledge that he's your starter if Gordon gets injured. I think he's an absolute standout. On that basis I'm less concerned about the third option being a guy you're wholly confident in right now. If Nelson is a development contract and we get someone a bit better as third string then that is fine.

Grant, Meehan are safe options though you know can play at the level when you need them.

I'm looking for someone with more future upside than those guys.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Agreed. That’s why I look at the guy in the Aus U20s along with Wilson.

Bit further down the track but Hwi Sharples likely to end up the Aus U18s Halfback for the second year in a row and I hope the Tahs are all over him.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Goddard wants a starting role or at least more game time and Tahs could not provide that. Likely end up at Brumbies as there number 2.
Robertson still with Force I believe for another year.
Nelson good but a long way off Super Rugby. At least we know Grant can handle that level and is a little older. Won't get much game time as the number 3 half-back if Gordon and Wilson stay fit.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Miles Amatosero signed for the Tahs

He's a very good signing, and I like this even more:

He added: “Playing for Australia is all I want. You see it on the TV, you see these guys and I’ve always said, ‘Man, I wish one day I could be a Wallaby.’

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
099DE984-EA96-4AB4-883B-4F4A9D7FA727.jpeg

Feels like a lot left on the table with Dowling. I expect him to have a career in Aus hopefully. Feels like someone the Brumbies would turn into a Wallaby.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
View attachment 16812
Feels like a lot left on the table with Dowling. I expect him to have a career in Aus hopefully. Feels like someone the Brumbies would turn into a Wallaby.

Not a Tah regular but people seem to have a fair wrap on him. The Tahs have just lost a bit of depth for next year. Obviously Max J is our pick at 15 but we don't really have too many other options. Who else is around in the Shute Shield that play the back-up roll?
EDIT: Maybe Will Harrison can provide FB backup if he can stay fit.

Last edited:

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Suspect we might see him permanently with the 7s team
Very strange to think a guy they have put a few years into developing, who then had a debut this year, and is absolutely carving up shute shield - gets released....

I did hear they have zero spaces for full time contracts available in their squad now that they have signed another 9 and hooker.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Interested to see who the 9 is. The same post on Instagram did say signing to be announced.

Must have a few to be annonced with Dowling making it 13 players farewelled since their post on the 22nd June with:
Hooper, Latu, Faulkner, Donaldson, Harris, Seu, Goddard, Leatigaga, Nadolo, Tauakipulu, Von Appen, Marolt, Dowling

Top Bottom