• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it’s a bit naive to think that Sua'ali'i’s recruitment isn’t all about the Wallabies and the Waratahs are just paperwork
I realise that, was more just having a dig at the arrogance of his manager. That said, his week in week out gig is the Waratahs, he still has to perform there - he will no doubt get auto selected in initial Wallabies squads but still then has to get selected in the match day squad. Personally I think that will happen pretty quickly off his own merit, not because of his contract.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This is business as usual for JS unfortunately.

Having his NRL contract be re negotiated every year meant this chat is always around.

He’s made his client a lot of money but it certainly leaves a stink on him. Maybe he’ll realise eventually that with talent comes benefit in sports.

Alex Ross (28)
A horrible stat has popped out in the media. Out of the 37 players on RA top ups, less than half are in the RWC squad.
While I expect with a new coach there would be a disconnect between his vision and legacy contracts. I don’t see Rennies squad being so different that more than half the squad would be cut!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How about not giving top ups to players who don't make the Wallabies? Maybe top[ ups should be scrapped and incentives increased for numbers of tests played/number of wins etc.

Alex Ross (28)
That’s good and bad. Seems dumb now, but you shouldn’t be guaranteed a spot because of the top up.
On that side it’s true. But if there are 20 players out there on top up’s that aren’t in the RWC squad. Why are they getting top ups?
Obviously the decisions around who gets them need to be looked at. I can accept some injuries and some form dips, but 20 seems like way too many.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
On that side it’s true. But if there are 20 players out there on top up’s that aren’t in the RWC squad. Why are they getting top ups?
Obviously the decisions around who gets them need to be looked at. I can accept some injuries and some form dips, but 20 seems like way too many.
Are top-ups for the length of a contract, or are they reviewed at certain intervals? Anyone know? Does seem like a concerning stat.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought they were length of contract in Rugby. Could be wrong though. I’d support a system like Cricket where they get renewed each year.

I know it’s different in terms of pro leagues and what not.

Alex Ross (28)
I thought they were length of contract in Rugby. Could be wrong though. I’d support a system like Cricket where they get renewed each year.

I know it’s different in terms of pro leagues and what not.
Yeah pretty sure it’s length of contract. Each time a player gets signed up with a top up it’s a dual contract with the Super club and RA.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Are top-ups for the length of a contract, or are they reviewed at certain intervals? Anyone know? Does seem like a concerning stat.
It’s a reflection of the leeway that Jones was given from Rugby Australia more than anything else. A competent organization would have had some checks/ balances and asked questions.

They gambled with Jones, it backfired immensely and now those accountable have to go.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It’s a reflection of the leeway that Jones was given from Rugby Australia more than anything else. A competent organization would have had some checks/ balances and asked questions.

They gambled with Jones, it backfired immensely and now those accountable have to go.
I disagree there, whatever you think of Jones' selections the coach should never be forced to pick a player they don't think is up to it just because they're on a top up.

I think it's a reflection of the fact that the coach was changed so close to the world cup while player contracting happens over a longer time frame. I also think it reflects pretty poorly on the overall high performance/rugby department at RA who are making these contracting decisions, there have been some pretty questionable top ups over the last few years.

Alex Ross (28)

How many players on top would have come in if Rennie had picked the squad? Hooper, Lolesio, Swain, Holloway maybe?

Still leaves 16 odd players on top ups not thought to be in the best 34.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I disagree there, whatever you think of Jones' selections the coach should never be forced to pick a player they don't think is up to it just because they're on a top up.

I think it's a reflection of the fact that the coach was changed so close to the world cup while player contracting happens over a longer time frame. I also think it reflects pretty poorly on the overall high performance/rugby department at Rugby Australia who are making these contracting decisions, there have been some pretty questionable top ups over the last few years.
I’m in the fortunate position of being able to benefit from hindsight. Players like J Gordon and Swinton have top ups and would likely have been picked for the World Cup under Rennie. The Wallabies performed better when these guys were getting picked.

It comes down to talent identification- maybe Eddie Jones isn’t t best judge of talent compared to his predecessor.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Also some of these top ups are absolutely minuscule and not worth fretting about.

Lalakai Foketi gets around an additional 20k per year - don’t worry about it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I’m in the fortunate position of being able to benefit from hindsight. Players like J Gordon and Swinton have top ups and would likely have been picked for the World Cup under Rennie. The Wallabies performed better when these guys were getting picked.

It comes down to talent identification- maybe Eddie Jones isn’t t best judge of talent compared to his predecessor.
Gordon should never have had a top up, he hasn't ever played well enough at international level to justify it. Swinton would've been unlikely to make the squad given how little rugby he played at super level.

You are right about the size of top ups being relevant though, the wage bill not at the world cup would be a better measure of how well the system is working. I still don't think that aspect is on Eddie though, getting the top ups in the right place is a job for RA.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How many players on top would have come in if Rennie had picked the squad? Hooper, Lolesio, Swain, Holloway maybe?

Still leaves 16 odd players on top ups not thought to be in the best 34.
Along with Neville, Samu, Wright and as Eastman said, probably Swinton. A fair number of the rest would have been through injury.