• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Playing NSW II is a very high level of school boy achievement. Plenty of Wallabies have missed out on getting that far.

He debuted for the Tahs when he was 20 and played NRC at 19 so it's not as if he was in the wilderness forgotten about. If anything he flew through the pathways.

BPA is better example who was playing for Southern Districts for a 5 years before the Reds reached out. He had played NRC for the Western Sydney & NSW Country before this.
BPA also converted to hooker after being a schoolboy backrower so that conversion was going to take some time. For the majority of the time at Souths, he probably stood out more for his No 7 skills rather than his set piece abilities.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Well done to Austin Durbidge who has just finished Year 12 at the Kings School

1700706455984.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Great accomplishment.

You got to think fitness is going to have to get them over the line/wait and see the NSW Pasifika line-up because that side is very inexperienced. Is it 5 Colts and a grad School Boy?

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
It would’ve been good to see them play a Shute shield all stars too. Especially if they gave the SS side a couple of weeks together.
Wouldn’t do it last year when SS picked a north and south harbour teams. We’re meant to have two games and tahs pulled out. Plus Tahs lost too two blues in a trial.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Watched it live, didn't know it was going to be streamed and I'm only 20 mins away. Live it seemed both teams were pretty committed, contact was heavy. It was an early trial designed to help the coaching staff look at work-ons for the fringe players and they'll have a long list. Without overly bagging anyone, there was a lot to improve on, mainly in the rugby IQ direction. Backline players made some bad decisions while trying to impress, the forwards work lacked cohesion. I've identified some players via their jersey number compared to the published list - there were a number I didn't recognise, so I apologise for any mistakes in advance:

Wilson/Goddard and Edmed ran the backline well and Edmed's field kicking was good, but he needs to practise his sideline place kicks. Wilson ran the ball nicely when required. I think he will be the back-up 9 and take over when Jake moves on. He impressed me.
Karawalevu looked classy with ball in hand but his fielding of high kicks was very iffy.
Saunders outclassed his opponent, he looked VERY quick and elusive, but he's pretty light. If he can add 15kg of muscle without losing the top end speed then he'll be a handful.
We lost far too many lineouts, more practice required.
23, Komolafe? got into space and kicked repeatedly. Its a hero play with low chance of success. Take the hit and recycle is far more likely to result in a score, just not a score by the recycler.
Barratt played the full game. I guess they wanted to see how his condition was. Couple of years and he could be anything, right now he looks green.
20 Cameron? made the low point of the game by taking a quick throw and hitting one of the Pasifica forwards right on the chest. He'll cringe watching the replay.

Good hitout and it certainly helped take my mind off the Jones/McLennan disaster.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Watched it live, didn't know it was going to be streamed and I'm only 20 mins away. Live it seemed both teams were pretty committed, contact was heavy. It was an early trial designed to help the coaching staff look at work-ons for the fringe players and they'll have a long list. Without overly bagging anyone, there was a lot to improve on, mainly in the rugby IQ direction. Backline players made some bad decisions while trying to impress, the forwards work lacked cohesion. I've identified some players via their jersey number compared to the published list - there were a number I didn't recognise, so I apologise for any mistakes in advance:

Wilson/Goddard and Edmed ran the backline well and Edmed's field kicking was good, but he needs to practise his sideline place kicks. Wilson ran the ball nicely when required. I think he will be the back-up 9 and take over when Jake moves on. He impressed me.
Karawalevu looked classy with ball in hand but his fielding of high kicks was very iffy.
Saunders outclassed his opponent, he looked VERY quick and elusive, but he's pretty light. If he can add 15kg of muscle without losing the top end speed then he'll be a handful.
We lost far too many lineouts, more practice required.
23, Komolafe? got into space and kicked repeatedly. Its a hero play with low chance of success. Take the hit and recycle is far more likely to result in a score, just not a score by the recycler.
Barratt played the full game. I guess they wanted to see how his condition was. Couple of years and he could be anything, right now he looks green.
20 Cameron? made the low point of the game by taking a quick throw and hitting one of the Pasifica forwards right on the chest. He'll cringe watching the replay.

Good hitout and it certainly helped take my mind off the Jones/McLennan disaster.
What were your thoughts on Austin Durbridge (no 6). Clearly one they've earmarked for the future. From what I've seen he can resemble a young M Hooper a little when he's got his headgear on, strong over the ball and big work ethic. Early days though.

Last edited: