• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I hadn't realised Harrison was 24 already. No Wallaby top-up in sight and Tahs tightening their budgets.....He would be getting a significant pay increase in Japan, and at this stage of his career, with his injury risk, he would have to take it.

Hopefully he can come back in two years with 40 games under his belt and find another Super Rugby gig, and get a gold jersey

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
The Waratahs are run by Rugby Australia. They need to find room for Rebels players to come in. Those guys leaving can earn far better money going overseas than they can earn here. Harrison not at the next level yet after just returning from injury. Go to Japan continue to get better and come back an improved player.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would guess Harrison has ended on a bargain contract as he has been in re-hab for the last few years.

I can also imagine the Tah's Managment may have been reticent to provide a premium contract

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
The Waratahs are run by Rugby Australia. They need to find room for Rebels players to come in. Those guys leaving can earn far better money going overseas than they can earn here. Harrison not at the next level yet after just returning from injury. Go to Japan continue to get better and come back an improved player.
So shrink to greatness doesn't work, as there will be no competition for places because everyone has left. It's just shrink

Yoda

Charlie Fox (21)
Dunno. I feel disappointed that we've invested two years' worth of recovery time into him, and the moment he's back on the field, he's off to greener pastures. But I can also imagine he's probably sick of the sight of the training facility, given all those physio sessions.
On a low contract due to his injury and recovery and may not have been offered anything substantial next year? Good player though and imho better than Edmed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely "coach skill:coach cost" ratio is best for him too. I'd imagine he'd take a decent cut to come home be with family and coach his beloved 'Tahs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can we park the "shrink to greatness" thing? I haven't heard anyone seriously suggest that since the Force were cut. This is "shrink to survive", and I'm OK with pro rugby in Australia surviving.

It annoys me no end.

My understanding is that Bill Pulver said in 2016 "I've always been a fan of a national footprint, I think it's difficult to shrink a game to greatness, but we are one voice at a Sanzaar level, so you've got all the other countries that will be part of that discussion."

So the only time it was ever actually spoken was to say that it wasn't the approach and since then it's been used as if the ongoing desire from Rugby Australia is to reduce the number of teams in the goal of making them better.

No one with any insight on the matter has ever thought you'd only lose the bottom tier players if you had less players contracted domestically.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Surely "coach skill:coach cost" ratio is best for him too. I'd imagine he'd take a decent cut to come home be with family and coach his beloved 'Tahs.
I think he also feels he has unfinished business with the Wallabies. I'm not suggesting him for that gig, but from his perspective, a successful stint with the Tahs and Joe Schmidt non-committal beyond next year, he could see it as a potential way back in.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Are we officially the Roosters-Waratahs?
Screenshot-20240509-225149-Instagram.jpg

I can't complain

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can we park the "shrink to greatness" thing? I haven't heard anyone seriously suggest that since the Force were cut. This is "shrink to survive", and I'm OK with pro rugby in Australia surviving.
Shutting down an underperforming shop has never been a bad business option

Raytah

Herbert Moran (7)
And could still field a handy team (pre-Rebels influx) of:

Bell
Porecki
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Holloway
Amotosero
Lee-Warner
Gamble
Gleeson
Wilson
Edmed
Jorgenson
Walton
Foketi
Sua'ali'i
Kellaway

I want Carter Gordon, Tupou, Salakai-Loto, Canham and Leafi Talataina.