• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Crusaders Friday 31st May 5:40pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Clarification: I don't think Jackson is biased, just that he sucks and can't control the game.

Yeah I'd agree with that let the emotion get the better of me by suggesting that, but he totally bottled that whole scrum sequence there were probably 3 penalties to the Tahs and 1 to the 'Saders in those 4 minutes. He gave the 4th penalty that he could of IMO.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I think it was the second scrum the Crusaders back row weren't bound Jackson bottled the call, penalty with 2 minutes to play after the kick. ..snip

Bah.. how many people would give a match deciding penalty for backrow not bound, that would have been rough. Besides, Hooper wasn't bound either, he'd run 5 metres away before the whistle went lol.

Although I agree he was pretty bloody lopsided in the second half (the one I watched), I thought those scrums were alright. He did give them a penalty anyway didn't he.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tahs at least are playing very well. Cheika is doing a good job. It's obviously a long term project but they have a nice structure that seems to work better each week.

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Why are more and more coaches starting to follow the football managers in UK with their so called "strategic replacements".....Its not Soccer/Football...if your 9 and 10 have got you in a winning position unless injured or the game is either won or lost DON'T CHANGE THEM

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Bah.. how many people would give a match deciding penalty for backrow not bound, that would have been rough.

I thought those scrums were alright.

It wouldn't have been rough it would have been correct call.

Which part of wasting the last 4 minutes of a season defining game for both team over a series of scrums when the referee could have given 4 different penalties is alright?

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
it wasnt just the last scrum at all. It was the entire game especially when crusaders in Tahs 22. Beyond a joke how kwiw refs can continuously screw aussie teams - this is not just at all.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why are more and more coaches starting to follow the football managers in UK with their so called "strategic replacements"...Its not Soccer/Football.if your 9 and 10 have got you in a winning position unless injured or the game is either won or lost DON'T CHANGE THEM

You can have Strategic replacements, Wingers, Centres, and Forwards... But you don't changes a 9 and 10 that is going really well in a must win game. Bad coaching.....

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
It wouldn't have been rough it would have been correct call.

Which part of wasting the last 4 minutes of a season defining game for both team over a series of scrums when the referee could have given 4 different penalties is alright?

You could give a penalty at pretty much every bloody scrum. I would honestly be embarrassed if my team won off the back of a 'back row not bound' when the ball was never going to come out, in what WAS AN OBVIOUS BATTLE OF THE TIGHT FIVE (and somewhat 8). Would honestly be embarrassed.

As for the 'kiwi cheating refs'. All countries refs are 'biased, home-town cheats'. They're not kiwi cheats, aussie cheats or saffa cheats. They're just bad bloody refs. Although it's rugby so you have to forgive them once you get over your team losing, trust me, I've had to do it about 10 times this year.. bloody Highlanders.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I know fuck all about scrums,but I do know that when the ref calls one at 74.25 it shouldn't be the last play of the game.
What a miserable way to end what was an absorbing game.

Absolutely ridiculous. Should have just given the Tahs the tap after the first fail.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know fuck all about scrums

In Rugby Union a scrum is a means of restarting play after a minor infringement. It involves up to eight players from each team, known as the pack or forward pack, binding together in three rows and interlocking with the free opposing teams forwards. At this point the ball is fed into the gap between the two forward packs and they both compete for the ball to win possession.

No Worries mate, I Wikied it for you.....

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
You could give a penalty at pretty much every bloody scrum. I would honestly be embarrassed if my team won off the back of a 'back row not bound' when the ball was never going to come out, in what WAS AN OBVIOUS BATTLE OF THE TIGHT FIVE (and somewhat 8). Would honestly be embarrassed.

As for the 'kiwi cheating refs'. All countries refs are 'biased, home-town cheats'. They're not kiwi cheats, aussie cheats or saffa cheats. They're just bad bloody refs. Although it's rugby so you have to forgive them once you get over your team losing, trust me, I've had to do it about 10 times this year.. bloody Highlanders.

Well if the back row of the opposition weren't bound and my team won because of that I'd question the stupidity of them for giving away such a schoolboy penalty. Whether it is a "match winning" offence or not isn't the question its why referees ignore obvious law breaches when the game is in the balance in the dying minutes.

I said earlier that the hometown comment was wrong was just pissed off in the moment that we'd lost yet another game we should have won.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I know fuck all about scrums,but I do know that when the ref calls one at 74.25 it shouldn't be the last play of the game.
What a miserable way to end what was an absorbing game.

Easy way to solve this. Stop letting the players just stand there for 30 seconds catching their breath. The scrums aren't the problem, it's the bloody boot cleaning, shoe tying, bum slapping, mark making, chin waggle before them. Players literally used to run to the scrums, now they meander. Place some time limits on just being ready, otherwise tap 'er.

For me though, a scrum battle to earn a penalty was still fun to watch.

Well if the back row of the opposition weren't bound and my team won because of that I'd question the stupidity of them for giving away such a schoolboy penalty. Whether it is a "match winning" offence or not isn't the question its why referees ignore obvious law breaches when the game is in the balance in the dying minutes.

I said earlier that the hometown comment was wrong was just pissed off in the moment that we'd lost yet another game we should have won.

Wasn't having a go at you bout home town refs. Was the other guy. Besides, look at my posts when the Highlanders lose. I'm a bitter bastard. (I was raging at the end of the Force-Highlanders match, the Force sealed off their last ruck but I knew it was never going to get given.) Still yelled mind you.

I do disagree with you about the last minute stuff though. I just consider it that the refs let stuff go all game, they have to for the match to work (these days). I'm a context guy, not IRB law 17.1 kinda guy. To each their own.. at least you have the Lions series to look forward to.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
ACR I understand what your saying but if its in the rulebook its a penalty Glen Jackson has been (apparently) fast tracked because he played the game at high level, maybe his elevation needs revising if he isn't going to give penalties when they are clearly there? Maybe he doesn't understand why its a penalty, but either way the game situation shouldn't come into it! I'd agree with you on the time wasting, you'd think they'd just call time off until the ball goes in. We'll agree on one thing the Lions tour will be a nice distraction for me

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
ACR I understand what your saying but if its in the rulebook its a penalty Glen Jackson has been (apparently) fast tracked because he played the game at high level, maybe his elevation needs revising if he isn't going to give penalties when they are clearly there? Maybe he doesn't understand why its a penalty, but either way the game situation shouldn't come into it! I'd agree with you on the time wasting, you'd think they'd just call time off until the ball goes in. We'll agree on one thing the Lions tour will be a nice distraction for me
Apparently you are not allowed to stop clock for scrums going down, didn't a ref get smack on hand for that a couple of weeks back??

Status
Not open for further replies.