• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v. B&I Lions - Saturday 15 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Welcome to the start of the real British and Irish Lions tour."

Hmmm. I think that there are a fair few from north of the Tweed River that would beg to differ.

It didn't appear to be just an exhibition match last weekend at Lang Park.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Looking forward to seeing Skelton on Saturday up against POC and possibly Grey. I've been preaching to all who will listen back in Ireland that big Will could be the next big thing in the tight head lock world, hopefully he doesn't let me down!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"Welcome to the start of the real British and Irish Lions tour."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ahs-prepare-toughest-test-20130612-2o4gn.html

Tahs seem to be really fired up to give the lions what for.

The Sydney Morning Herald has got their fishing rod out and are trying to reel in a couple of Queenslanders.

The corporates are a waste of time - they're in it for the networking, not the rugby. I have been seated in the members thanks to the inestimable Lee Grant, and at least they know how to cheer.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .

I'd still much prefer there to be people in those seats not caring much about the game than empty seats!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Further good news for the Tahs.

Dave Dennis and Rob Horne have been released for this game.

I'm guessing that means they're unlikely to be in the Wallabies 23 for next Saturday. That is presumably good news for Christian Lealiifano and either Ben Mowen or Hugh McMeniman.

I feel bad for Tom Carter who is likely to miss out on a chance to play the Lions now.

H

Halfback Hero

Would have been a much closer scoreline if the tahs had a full strength team or atleast playmaker Bernard Foley. Because of the amount of 'no names' in the lineup i can see this one turning into a cricket score. A courageous defensive performance could keep it closer than Combined country but my tip would have to be Lions by 40. This being said, cant wait to watch it and would love to see an upset!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would have been a much closer scoreline if the tahs had a full strength team or atleast playmaker Bernard Foley. Because of the amount of 'no names' in the lineup i can see this one turning into a cricket score. A courageous defensive performance could keep it closer than Combined country but my tip would have to be Lions by 40. This being said, cant wait to watch it and would love to see an upset!

Foley, Lucas, Dennis and Horne are all available for selection.

H

Halfback Hero

Foley, Lucas, Dennis and Horne are all available for selection.
Oh Great, good to know! But this could also imply deans isn't planning on putting Horne and Dennis in his 23 to play Lions in the first test. With these players available, especially the skipper this can could be tighter than expected! Lions by 11?

Kevinsons

Frank Nicholson (4)
How long has Damien Fitzpatrick been fit? Did he make the field against the Force? Every time the current replacement rakes through a lineout ball a metre off centre I think about him...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How long has Damien Fitzpatrick been fit? Did he make the field against the Force? Every time the current replacement rakes through a lineout ball a metre off centre I think about him.

He's fit again. He didn't end up making the bench for the Force game.

I'm guessing he'll be playing Shute Shield soon. I'll be surprised if he usurps Holmes for the bench spot against the Lions this Saturday. Whilst Holmes isn't very good, it would be harsh on him to miss out and for Fitzy to have his first game back against the Lions.

H

Halfback Hero

I not so sure about that.
Seems that the ARU have decided to start taking these tour matches a bit more seriously. If the Lions players can play on Saturday against the Tah's and then again next Saturday against the Wallabies, I can'r see why the same can't be said for Dennis and Horne.
Very true, especially after the disappointing force. ARU would be a bit embarrassed. Hope Dennis does get a cap or two..

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Why would the ARU care about making the games competitive? All the games against the franchises will be close to, if not, sold out long in advance of weakened teams being in known. By feeding the second string lambs to the Lions they aren't giving the Lions any help in getting battle hardened and they are getting their pay day from ticket sales. Its win win for the ARU at the moment.

Also releasing fringe Wallabies who most of the media whingers have probably never heard of won't stop them bleating on about it. If you asked Clive Woodward about Dave Dennis he'd probably comment something along the lines of "solid goal kicker needs to improve his tackling though." The media circus that follows England around at World Cups unfortunately follows the Lions too and until mandatory IQ tests are introduced I think we'll be stuck with them for a long time.

H

Halfback Hero

Why would the ARU care about making the games competitive? All the games against the franchises will be close to, if not, sold out long in advance of weakened teams being in known. By feeding the second string lambs to the Lions they aren't giving the Lions any help in getting battle hardened and they are getting their pay day from ticket sales. Its win win for the ARU at the moment.

Also releasing fringe Wallabies who most of the media whingers have probably never heard of won't stop them bleating on about it. If you asked Clive Woodward about Dave Dennis he'd probably comment something along the lines of "solid goal kicker needs to improve his tackling though." The media circus that follows England around at World Cups unfortunately follows the Lions too and until mandatory IQ tests are introduced I think we'll be stuck with them for a long time.
Why wouldnt they? They want Australian Rugby to haver a dangerous reputation and beating or getting close to beating the lions would huge for a super 15 team and would highlight the depth and strength in Australia. Playing with second string teams does exactly the opposite and is slightly embarrassing. It is not about the money or the tickets at all..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think it almost certainly means that.
The official line is that they want them to keep them in match practice and to get info on the Lions from a player point of view.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carter start ahead of Kingston and Horne play 13. The Lions centres Roberts, Davies and Tuilagi are all big boppers and Carter could have value stopping them.

Cheika made a remark before the season started that he regarded Kingston as only a winger "at this stage" although he had to use him there last week.

At worst, Carter will get a run from the bench.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It is not about the money or the tickets at all..

Are you sure about that one?

In South Africa in 09 a couple of their franchises got hammered, one was competitive and the rest so so. It didn't change the way people thought about the strength of rugby there, its was merely acknowledged that Boks were missing in those games. If the Wallabies win the series will anyone really care that the Force got beaten by 60 points? Lions series are defined by the tests and I think the ARU realize that

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing Skelton on Saturday up against POC and possibly Grey. I've been preaching to all who will listen back in Ireland that big Will could be the next big thing in the tight head lock world, hopefully he doesn't let me down!
That's a big call, though you did say "could".

Elle McPherson could come into the house in the next five minutes and ravish me while the missus is down at the shops, but I doubt it.

The only thing I can say for sure is that Will is doing much better than I ever thought he would a couple of years ago and that I hope he keeps surprising me.

Another thing: he will learn a lot playing against POC.

Status
Not open for further replies.