• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies trial in Mudgee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He played junior and under 20s rugby at THP though didn't he?

Was he a case of his Super Rugby team switching him to LHP because that is where they needed someone?

I remember him playing LHP at the U20s world championships, which I'm pretty certain predated his career with the Brumbies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I remember him playing LHP at the U20s world championships, which I'm pretty certain predated his career with the Brumbies.
I'll try and pull up the individual match day stats if necessary, but I'm 80ish% sure that from 3 tournaments and ~13 games he played 1 game at reserve loosehead and the rest of his games, including all his starts, were as a tighthead.

All the talk was that he was the best tighthead you'd seen at age grade in a long long time, and between him, PAE and Hoskins you'd be set for some time.

Edit:

(My belief here is that World Rugby had a specific date, June 9th or 10th when International matches officially required an 8 man bench and 3 front rowers, prior to this the reserve tighthead would have been an "additional reserve" a lá how the Frenchies still do it, which is why he goes from 23 to 18, the man in 17 is Paraka in one game and and Latu in another, safe to say he played tighthead)

v Scotland reserve tighthead (Jersey 23)
v Argentina reserve tighthead (jersey 23)
v France (pool) reserve tighthead (jersey 18)
v France (pool) reserve tighthead (jersey 18)
v England reserve tighthead (jersey 18)

v Ireland reserve tighthead
v New Zealand reserve tightead
v Fiji starting tighthead
v Argentina reserve tighthead
v Ireland reserve loosehead

v Argentina starting tighthead
v England starting tighthead
v Italy reserve tighthead
v Samoa Starting tighthead
v France starting tighthead

6/6 starts at tighthead, 8/9 bench appearances at tighthead

2014 squad included Tom Robertson, while 2012 & 2013 had both Ollie Hoskins and Phil Kite, both of whom have only played tighthead at Senior level, and Kite switched to loosehead before AA was asked to play there.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think the reality is, some props are comfortable either side, others at one or the other. For example, Benn Robbo was always a loose head, whereas Kepu started at loose head and turned into a pretty good tight head. Paddy Ryan is an interesting case, always a THP coming up, but now seems far more effective since his switch to LHP.
From the Tahs point of view, every single prop they have (Ryan, Kepu, Robertson, Ta'avao, Sandell, Needs) are, or at least were, THP's, so little wonder they are trying to see who can play LHP!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Many years ago a Wallaby prop told me that it was more difficult to play LHP. That was then, of course, and scrummaging has changed a helluva lot since those days.

But, for the life of me, I would put money that any prop who has the physical attributes to play on one side of the scrum, would have the physical attributes to play on the other.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not sure if it's a recent practice. Topo, Crowley, Andy Mac, Noriega, Dunning, Holmes, Darcy, Panaho and many, many others. They all played both sides.

I did say I was a back. Interesting to note most of the props on this list played their rugby in the amateur era, ie, well before the advent of the "power hit". Also, there was only one prop on the reserves bench in the days of all these players, it was imperative that prop be able to play both sides.

There was a test in the Deans era when Kepu was selected at LHP and Alexander THP; back 'n' all as I was I couldn't help thinking it looked all wrong. Modern scrummaging's so powerful, and technical, it's imperative props be as skilful as they possibly can be to compete in these potentially dangerous engagements as well as gaining an advantage for their respective teams.

With the advent of the complete reserve front row I don't understand the need for ambidextrous props. Although I do understand some young props (Allan Ala'alatoa for example) are probably yet to find their best side at Super and test level. Tom Robbo? He looked very comfortable at THP last year, a position where we've traditionally struggled for depth in Oz rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.