• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies trial in Mudgee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I think that's a bit of an overreaction from Michael about their future after one trial game..........

As I've said elsewhere - the Brumbies still look very strong up front, but will lack spark in the backline........ they'll set piece their way to a mid table finish, and finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th in the Aus conference.

It will take a fairly massive clusterfuck on and of the field this year for them to be considered for the axe, and things have been looking positive recently with a massive international sponsorship signing with the opportunity to push into the Asian market, and the coaching gig has apparently attracted international interest (so let's hope they don't fuck that up)............

They're in a much stronger position than a couple of our teams.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Every club goes through peaks and troughs. Brumbies have lost some key players and will have to struggle for a while before they come good again. Which is fine. Tah's are mid-table mediocrity every third or so season. They won't axe the Brumbies.
Hmm. A good gauge to consider is a mix of the comments on this thread and the fact in such a small market the membership is 33% down. Tis a bit more than just a dip in form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the main takeaway for the Tahs is that there are plenty of guys who are either bench players or likely outside the matchday 23 and pushing for a bench spot who are showing that they are ready to take that next step. That is a great sign for depth.

The main point that I don't think you can take from that game is that the team will be hugely better as soon as the Wallabies and other rested players come back.

The first choice players don't automatically become better or hit peak form because the reserves are playing well.

From that game, I think Jack Dempsey and Reece Robinson are clearly going to be in the Tahs best XV. For Robinson that perhaps means that Horne will get first shot at the 12 jersey and Taqele will be the other winger (alternatively, Taqele could find himself on the bench).

Bryce Hegarty will be in the matchday 23. Most likely in the 22 jersey covering 10 and 15.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I think that's a bit of an overreaction from Michael about their future after one trial game....

As I've said elsewhere - the Brumbies still look very strong up front, but will lack spark in the backline.... they'll set piece their way to a mid table finish, and finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th in the Aus conference.

It will take a fairly massive clusterfuck on and of the field this year for them to be considered for the axe, and things have been looking positive recently with a massive international sponsorship signing with the opportunity to push into the Asian market, and the coaching gig has apparently attracted international interest (so let's hope they don't fuck that up)....

They're in a much stronger position than a couple of our teams.
Jeez, that's an optimistic view of the other night.
What I took out of the other night, is that the Brumbies were hardly a threat against a team with a stack of fringe players.
You were able to set piece your way to mediocrity last year with Wallaby players directing traffic.
This year the options at 10 are lack lustre at best.
Any side that has room for Toua in the 23 in the first few rounds,lacks sufficient depth to be creditable.
Hopefully some rookies will step up, and improve things.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Robinson on one wing, Horne the other, Simone @ 12 for me

That is certainly pretty appealing. Just not sure Gibson will take that plunge so early.

That said, I also don't think he'll be afraid of making a bold selection decision. It's not like it involves making a big call of benching a star player (because I don't think Taqele really can claim that mantle).

Taqele is a good option off the bench too. He's got a pretty awesome strike rate of scoring tries late in matches after coming on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jeez, that's an optimistic view of the other night.
What I took out of the other night, is that the Brumbies were hardly a threat against a team with a stack of fringe players.
You were able to set piece your way to mediocrity last year with Wallaby players directing traffic.
This year the options at 10 are lack lustre at best.
Any side that has room for Toua in the 23 in the first few rounds,lacks sufficient depth to be creditable.
Hopefully some rookies will step up, and improve things.

I'm not one to subscribe to hysterics based on a trial game, and I don't feel this is being overly optimistic:

they'll set piece their way to a mid table finish, and finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th in the Aus conference.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Coming second is extremely optimistic.
In what world does coming 3rd or 4th in our conference, equate to a mid table finish?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I suppose I should've added 'at best' to the end of that..........

Second is slightly optimistic, but you have to consider the poor quality of the Aus conference, and whether or not the Reds will actually deliver.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is certainly pretty appealing. Just not sure Gibson will take that plunge so early.

That said, I also don't think he'll be afraid of making a bold selection decision. It's not like it involves making a big call of benching a star player (because I don't think Taqele really can claim that mantle).

Taqele is a good option off the bench too. He's got a pretty awesome strike rate of scoring tries late in matches after coming on.

I think 12 is pretty wide open, Horne, Simone & Horwitz are the options

Horne on the wing, gives good cover for Foley to drop back for kick return.

Simone or Horwitz is a very easy decision

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I suppose I should've added 'at best' to the end of that....

Second is slightly optimistic, but you have to consider the poor quality of the Aus conference, and whether or not the Reds will actually deliver.

I'm sorry I know I said I'd stop but I'm amazed by some of the optimism on display by Brumbies fans in this thread.

Last year, in terms of competition points, the Brumbies placed equal 7th from 18 with 43 points, but were within a single victory of the Blues of the Blues with 39 points at 11th.

For me, this is markedly mid table.

You guys started the season strongly, but peetered off very quickly and were quite dismal within the second half of it (the only attacking threat you guys had was a rolling maul).

Since then you've lost:

Stephen Moore (then-captain), David Pocock, Ita Vaea, Matt To'omua, Christian Lealifano (to illness), Joe Tomane and now Cubelli (alongside a handful of squad members).

These were the backbone of your team and provided it with x-factor and guidance.

Who is replacing them? A bunch of journeymen who didn't quite cut it at other franchises (Fainga'as, Alcock, Fakaosilea, Godwin etc).

Given that your other key players (Fardy, Speight etc) seem to experiencing the waning of their powers, for me 2017 doesn't look promising.

Reactions: mst

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have always liked Horwitz, but Simone could be something special.

I think Horwitz is hardly done by around these parts and I think he wont let us down if he makes the field this season, but yes, Simone does seem have a certain aura about him doesn't he?

Its important we dont set standards too high however. He's fresh and should be treated as such.

I'm still very excited to see what he can offer in 2017.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm sorry I know I said I'd stop but I'm amazed by some of the optimism on display by Brumbies fans in this thread.

200.gif

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
One thing I will say about the Brumbies is that they never really had much in the way of ball because they kept dropping it all night in slippery conditions. Tahs dropped a lot of ball too but not as much and they managed to hang onto it at critical times.

So while the Brumbies may not quite live up to last season with some key players missing, I don't think we saw anywhere near what they are capable of on the weekend.

For the Brumbies I'm less concerned about the result and more concerned about the injury to Cubelli. I have a photo of him that didn't make it to the blog and he's in a knee brace, iced up and he's been sucking on the green whistles which suggests significant damage and probably a lengthy stint on the sidelines. You can't overstate the value of a scrumhalf who offers a genuine attacking threat in his own right in addition to a strong passing game. I think he's the best 9 in Australian rugby and the closest we've got to a Smith or a 2011-era Genia.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was up in Mudgee on the weekend. Well done to all the players performing in that seering heat.
At the same time as the u/20's were playing, there was 3 junior teams playing on the next oval. The Mudgee u/15's, the Camden u/15's and the North Shore Barabarians u/14's. Some pretty impressive rugby was played by these young boys...hopefully a little look at the future. The most disappointing thing for me was that the Waratah's star players were playing a game of touch footy at the same time these boys were all warming up....Folau, Hooper, Skelton, Kepu, Horne amongst them. Not one of the Tah's went to say g'day to the boys, or offered to throw the ball around with them. What a great opportunity for the Tah's to do some much needed PR....Nothing!! Zilch!! I'd imagine if it was the AFL or the NRL, they would have at least said hello. Anyway...a very disappointing personal performance from the Tah's in my mind.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was up in Mudgee on the weekend. Well done to all the players performing in that seering heat.
At the same time as the u/20's were playing, there was 3 junior teams playing on the next oval. The Mudgee u/15's, the Camden u/15's and the North Shore Barabarians u/14's. Some pretty impressive rugby was played by these young boys.hopefully a little look at the future. The most disappointing thing for me was that the Waratah's star players were playing a game of touch footy at the same time these boys were all warming up..Folau, Hooper, Skelton, Kepu, Horne amongst them. Not one of the Tah's went to say g'day to the boys, or offered to throw the ball around with them. What a great opportunity for the Tah's to do some much needed PR..Nothing!! Zilch!! I'd imagine if it was the AFL or the NRL, they would have at least said hello. Anyway.a very disappointing personal performance from the Tah's in my mind.

Axel, yeah, nah.

The focus for the community rugby involvement of the Waratahs on the weekend was the sub juniors (i.e. the U11s and below). The 'Wallatahs' you refer too were actually put through a fitness session prior to the game of touch you mention, and it wasn't a coincidence that they were doing this on the field right next to about 60 kids aged anywhere from 5 to 11 who were in a one hour coaching clinic with the Waratahs DO's.

Don't worry, the Waratahs got involved in the community plenty over the weekend, more than I ever envisaged they would have. If you want some visual evidence of this jump on the the Mudgee Wombats Rugby Club Facebook page, or even the Waratahs one for that matter.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Axel, yeah, nah.

The focus for the community rugby involvement of the Waratahs on the weekend was the sub juniors (i.e. the U11s and below). The 'Wallatahs' you refer too were actually put through a fitness session prior to the game of touch you mention, and it wasn't a coincidence that they were doing this on the field right next to about 60 kids aged anywhere from 5 to 11 who were in a one hour coaching clinic with the Waratahs DO's.

Don't worry, the Waratahs got involved in the community plenty over the weekend, more than I ever envisaged they would have. If you want some visual evidence of this jump on the the Mudgee Wombats Rugby Club Facebook page, or even the Waratahs one for that matter.

Ok KOB, thanks for letting me know. I still think they could have come and said hello. Anyway, all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.