• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies trial in Mudgee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
And the official kickoff time is 6pm AEDT. Printed on the tickets and all the pre-match advertising. So either the Brumbies website has got it wrong, or just faintly possibly they've delayed kickoff for an hour.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks Simon. Wondering if the weather has caused the kickoff to be put back, but apparently there've been no announcements to that effect.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They're predicting 36 degrees for 6pm, kick-off time!
Saw Mumm & Kepu down the street, didn't seem that unhappy they weren't playing!!
All the a graders have just completed a fitness session on the back field.

Current score in the curtain raiser Gen Blue 38 - Central West 5, about a quarter and a half to go. Gen Blue much more structured as would be expected as the opposition have had a couple of fitness sessions

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
And the official kickoff time is 6pm AEDT. Printed on the tickets and all the pre-match advertising. So either the Brumbies website has got it wrong, or just faintly possibly they've delayed kickoff for an hour.

Brumbes have confirmed 6pm kick off on twitter.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
From the first third (12-7 to the Tahs):

+ Dempsey, Dempsey, Dempsey.

2x linebreaks, 2x offoads, 1x try, 2x turnovers. If Rugby had a metric similar to Basketballs' 'triple-double' he'd be about halfway there already. Very excited to see if 2017 is his breakout year.

+ The Midget Pivot.

The Waratahs pivots of Gordon, Mason, Horwitz and Simone are looking rusty but adventurous, but that can be said of everyone on the field. They have stepped up in defence despite their size. Showing some good heart and promise.

Robinson showing promise.

+ Same old Brumbies.

The Brumbies only try was scored by a snipe from Cubelli after a rolling maul from about 10m out. Does anyone know when they learnt that trick? Perhaps they should use it a bit more this season?

+ Otherwise, exactly as you'd expect.

Not much else to report. Scrappy, sloppy ball and turnovers all over. It is a pre-season trial after all.

Edit: Robinson scores ~2 minutes into the 2nd third. Grubber from Simone and Robinson burns everyone. Showing a bit more than promise.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Beautiful ground, playing surface better than anything in Sydney grade rugby. There's been a new stand put up in the last few years, very impressive.

Robinson just went over, not converted, 17-7. Fat Cat's swallowed the mic, Foley's running the water, Hooper's in charge of autographs. Oh, and Skelton looked as if he's lost 10kg.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The 2nd 3rd:

Waratahs 29 - Brumbies 12.

In terms of team efforts, the Tahs scrum looked good until Ben Alexander and Saia Fainga'a came on. The Tahs got towelled up at ~51 minute mark but with all the interchanges its hard to get a grasp of whose more dominant.

The Waratahs.

+ Hanigan to have lessons on how to catch from the kick off. Dropped two balls backwards. Hasn't been too noticeable elsewhere on the field.

+ Quiet third from Dempsey. I must have jinxed him with my previous comments. He's still where he was in terms of progression towards his triple double.

+ Simone looking slippery, destructive - the whole lot. He runs over people and around people, he throws cut outs and he throws offloads. Very excited to see him get some game time this season. Very positive game thus far apart from a bit of argy-bargy with Hawera / the Brumbies 8 (Fako-something - I don't know how to spell it).

It also appears he has a telepathic link with Reece Robinson.

+ Kellaway looking good (scored a try at ___) and showing some of the fire (often ill discipline - we haven't seen that today) he showed at school boy level. Perhaps hes getting comfortable in the blue jersey.

+ Reece is shredding it and constantly looks dangerous. Likewise with Jones. When Horne and TQN return the Tahs will be very well stocked in terms of backs.

+ Hegarty's only had a few touches but looked very dangerous. A solid 10,12 and 15 back-up. Scored a brilliant individual try at ~45min. He can't kick for goal for shit though.

+ Horwitz looking good in terms of distributing and has run over a few people as well. Perhaps 2016 was too early for him (see KB (Kurtley Beale)'s injury). He certainly showed some good form in the NRC but I'm not entirely sold yet.

The Brumbies.

+ Speight with a good take off the kick off but hasn't shown much else anywhere. He did force a good pilfer and has been solid at the breakdown but thats the core role of a flanker, not a winger. Would like to see him look a bit more dangerous with ball in hand. Could take some notes from Robinson's performance.

+ I'm really liking what I see from Hawera. He plays flat and with confidence. Shown some good play making ability but also some great ball running. A very good replacement for Lealifano.

+ The only try for the Brumbies in the third was from a rolling maul. Whodathunkit?

+ Cubelli with what appears to be a very serious injury. Lets hope Powells up to it (Cheika certainly thinks he is).

+ Kuridrani looking dangerous and continuing his good Wallaby form. He showed some really strong running.

+ Dargaville looking good with ball-in-hand, backing up what he showed last season.

+ Arnold with some good ball running and physicality. Sam who? Carters been quite anonymous IMO. Likewise with Fardy (gave away a penalty but thats all I've really seen).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looks to me like the Brumbies might be in for a long season:
  • Cubelli's badly injured, possibly an AC. That's a disaster for them.
  • Two tries from rolling mauls and if there's been a Brumby half linebreak I've missed it.
  • Toua's lost possession after a good run twice!
  • The defence seems pretty half-hearted.
Waratahs have looked far better but just rusty. Given that they are fielding mostly back-up players that's a bit of a surprise:
  • Robinson and Dempsey have starred.
  • Jones, Simone and Hegarty have looked good.
  • Gordon has looked starting quality, but so has Lucas! Phipps won't want to have a bad game any time soom.
  • Lolohea looked better than I expected.
  • The lineout has worked well.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The 3rd 3rd:

Waratahs 53 - Brumbies 17

Its important to note, as I haven't yet, that the stream was excellent quality so hats off to whoever organised that.

The Tahs completely outclassed the Brumbies, which is interesting given the fact that some posters here had picked the Brumbies squad for this match to have been the stronger of the two.

The Tahs squad is young but the depth is definitely there. No one looked out of place when on and everyone slotted in seamlessly. Mason and Deegan looked confident when on, which is a huge plus if Foley goes down, but so did Hawera and Thompson for the Brumbies which is huge for them given the departure of To'omua and Lealifano's illness.

Perhaps some of the Brumbies older guard (Carter, Fardy etc) are passed it? Perhaps the youth of the Tahs were just a bit more enthusiastic and keen to stamp their mark during a preseason trial.

Regardless, the Tahs have Foley, Folau, Hooper, Holloway, Phipps, TQN, Horne, Skelton, Kepu, Mumm and Robertson to return, and will be even better for it.

Waratahs:

+ A pretty quiet half from the Tahs until the very end. As they were a while ahead they seemed to really empty the bench, and for most of the half we had a forward pack dominated by people I didn't even know. There was a number 8 I couldn't pick, and I think the 6 was Lachlan Swinton from the Tahs u20s?

+ M. Lucas took S. Fainga'a on at the ~61 minute mark, despite the size disparity, and backed it up the next minute by going over for a try. Has looked good but is a little too predisposed to silly box kicks. Gordon had the better day of the two IMO.

+ Tahs got a tighthead at the ~66 minute mark. Scrum dominance was back and forth but I'd give it to the Tahs overall. This was with Ryan, Latu and Lohoea on the field.

Con Foley with the linebreak not long after and was solid in offence and defence. He certainly seemed to be looking for work.

The Tahs scrum was likewise dominant at the ~76 minute mark and almost earned them a penalty try.

+ A sloppy try to Simone at the ~68 minute mark after a kick from the Waratahs which was fumbled by Toua (who had dropped it previously). Jones put some serious pressure on and Simone dived over.

+ Defence was great in general with a lot of big shots. Will be some sore Brumbies tomorrow, and some sore Waratahs as well. The Brumbies were likewise aggressive in defence but less accurate.

+ Jones was really working hard, as was Kellaway (had a big hit on Ah Wong despite being the smaller of the two).

+ Latu scored off a rolling maul at the ~82 min mark, giving the Brumbies a taste of their own medicine.

+ Reece Robinson was again very impressive, scoring in the final play of the game (deep into overtime) after a series of very willing yet remarkably sloppy attack from both teams. 90 minutes of play in 40 degree country heat though - you can't blame them.

Brumbies:

+ The Brumbies generally lacked composure, both in this third and the rest of the game, with a great example being when Ben Alexander surged over the advantage line at the ~78 minute mark following a good linebreak from Thompson. B.A had made a half break and forced an offload when it really wasn't on, resulting in a knock on and a turnover. The senior Brumbies need to lead the team better.

+ Finally scored at the ~82 minute mark after a good passage of play characterised by width and composure in attack. They should be reviewing this as a template of how they should play moving forward.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thanks @Hawko and @Michael for the reports, couldn't get the stream working for some reason.

Lähetetty minun NEM-L21 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well done to Gibson and Co and the Tah players. Looking good and showing they will be very competitive this season. Also their next gen is looking good.

As for the Brumbies there were fleeting moments of good play punctuated by absolute rubbish. Its deja vu of 2016 already. No attack and FFS do we have to kick return every kickoff???? It was obsessive last year so not again please! There is enough talent in that group to be a lot better than they are showing but IMHO the quicker Larkham and Co are replaced the better off the Brumbies will be. Its the same old clueless rubbish mixed with over structured predictability.

One thing that has become very evident is that Larkahm may be a master at back-line set piece, and set piece in general but is absolutely clueless when it comes unstructured or broken play.

Its going to be a long, hard, frustrating and inevitably disappointing season I suspect.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
MST - right on the mark. The most disappointing aspect of the Brumbies' play is in the coaching. Bernie surely has to do something, but I think the influence of McKellar is what's killing any attacking play.

Status
Not open for further replies.