• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
On Thursday, 5 February at Sydney Football Stadium. Who's going? Who can keep up with Moses' beer-drinking exploits? :p :p :p

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
17 bucks for the cheap seats, there isnt any barracades, just move around to better seating!

should be a good night! both teams should play at least one half at full strength you would think

S

Spook

Morty is expected to be at 12 for this game with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.

Beale will start for the Tahs and Waugh is back as well.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can play all season at 13 I'm picking him to be a World XV by the end of the year.

Good piece of talent spotting by EJ (Eddie Jones).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Phil Waugh's return to bolster NSW Waratahs pack

By Samantha Broun
February 03, 2009

CAPTAIN Phil Waugh returns from injury to bolster the New South Wales pack for their final pre-season Super 14 trial match against the Brumbies at the SFS on Thursday night.
Waugh rolled his left ankle at training last week but has been cleared to play his first trial of the season.

Flyhalf Kurtley Beale has been picked ahead of Daniel Halangahu but coach Chris Hickey said the battle for the Waratahs No.10 jersey was still wide open.

"The competition continues," Hickey said.

"They both had strong games against Fiji (Warriors) last Friday night. 'Hangas' started (then) so Kurtley gets his chance to start this.

"We will review their performances over the two games and then make a selection based on that."

Hickey said there were plenty of positions still open heading toward the first round clash with the Hurricanes.

"We're going to carry 11 reserves into this game and there are four or five of them who are competing for positions," Hickey said.

"There's a number of players who started on the bench last week and they get the opportunity to have a go from kick-off on Thursday.

"We started with Tatafu (Polota-Nau), Daniel Halangahu, Timana Tahu and Luke Burgess last Friday, this week Adam (Frier), Kurtley, Brett Sheehan and Rob Horne will all get a chance to start.

"Everyone will get game time and by the end of the match we're hoping we will have gathered enough information from the three trial fixtures to pick our best possible squad for round one in Wellington."

Hickey said the Waratahs final trial match would be their toughest of the pre-season.

"It might only be a trial, but whenever the Waratahs and the Brumbies come together there's always a bit of extra feeling," Hickey said.

AAP

NSW Waratahs:
Sam Norton-Knight,
Lachie Turner,
Rob Horne,
Tom Carter,
Lote Tuqiri,
Kurtley Beale,
Brett Sheenan,
Scott Fava,
Phil Waugh,
Ben Mowen,
Will Caldwell,
Dean Mumm,
Al Baxter,
Adam Frier,
Benn Robinson.

Res:
Tatafu Polota-Nau,
Jeremy Tilse,
Chris Thompson,
Beau Robinson,
Luke Burgess,
Daniel Halangahu,
Peter Playford,
Dan Palmer,
Dave Dennis,
Kane Douglas,
Timana Tahu,
Tim Bennetts,
Sitiveni Mafi.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CA Brumbies v Waratahs
Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney
Thursday, 5 February 2009
Kick-off: 7.40pm

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Nic Henderson
4. Ben Hand
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Peter Kimlin
7. George Smith
8. Stephen Hoiles (c)
9. Joshua Holmes
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Francis Fainifo
12. Stirling Mortlock
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Clyde Rathbone
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves
16. John Ulugia
17. Guy Shepherdson
18. Shawn Mackay
19. Sitaleki Timani
20. Patrick Phibbs
21. Afusipa Taumoepeau
22. Julian Salvi
23. Matt To'omua
24. Pat McCabe

* two to be omitted

CA Brumbies II v Waratahs
Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney
Thursday, 5 February 2009
Kick-off: 5.15pm

1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
2. Huia Edmonds
3. Guy Shepherdson
4. Shawn Mackay
5. Sitaleki Timani
6. Mitchell Chapman
7. Talalelei Gray
8. Julian Salvi (c)
9. Patrick Phibbs
10. Matt To'omua
11. Afusipa Taumoepeau
12. Gene Fairbanks
13. Sanualio Afeaki
14. Brent Hamlin
15. Pat McCabe

Reserves
16. Nathan Charles
17. Salesi Ma?afu
18. Tevita Metuisula
19. Sokai Tai
20. James Stannard
21. Tyrone Smith
22. Dan Yakopo
23. Ben Tyler
24. Steven Noriega

F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
Salesi Ma'afu on the bench for the 2s?

Mitchell Chapman starting for the 2's. I feel sorry for him, in a way, since he left Qld due to E. Jones. On the other hand, I dont feel that sorry since I suspect he was part of the reason Moore went south to betray Qld.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Henderson as starting 3 is interesting. Not the strongest scrummager and would have played a fair bit of loose head of late with Shepherdson starting at 3. But they have to start Wallaby Alexander, and Henderson is in the 'leadership group'. And, as far as I'm concerned, thats just a step below captain meaning you pretty much have to keep them in your starting team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and the Tah 2s

Curtain Raiser
HSBC JUNIOR WARATAHS V BRUMBIES II
Thursday 5 February 2009 (Kick-off 5:15pm AEDT)
Sydney Football Stadium

HSBC JUNIOR WARATAHS
1. Martin Plotskys (Gordon)
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
3. Tim Archibald (Northern Suburbs)
4. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
5. Phil Mathers (Eastwood)
6. Sitiveni Mafi (Parramatta)
7. Pat McCutcheon [c] (Sydney University)
8. Lachie McCaffrey (Eastwood)
9. Jeremy Su'a (Penrith)
10. Mark Preston (Gordon)
11. Damon Anderson (Eastern Suburbs)
12. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood)
13. Mitch Inman (Sydney University)
14. Greg Jeloudev (Sydney University)
15. Nick Reily (West Harbour)
Reserves
16. Nath Nicol (Gordon)
17. Mike Ross (Eastern Suburbs)
18. Kingsley Seale (Gordon)
19. Sam Latunipulu (Northern Suburbs)
20. Ed Bredenhann (Sydney University)
21. Harry Bennett (Eastern Suburbs)
22. Michael McDougall (Eastwood)
23. Salesi Manu (Manly)
24. Kotoni Ale (Warringah)

* ? Back to News Listing

tah man ABN Graphic

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Reserves often tell the story on depth, the runners have on the bench

16. Nathan Charles
17. Salesi Ma?afu
18. Tevita Metuisula
19. Sokai Tai
20. James Stannard
21. Tyrone Smith
22. Dan Yakopo
23. Ben Tyler
24. Steven Noriega

The Tahs IIs

16. Nath Nicol (Gordon)
17. Mike Ross (Eastern Suburbs)
18. Kingsley Seale (Gordon)
19. Sam Latunipulu (Northern Suburbs)
20. Ed Bredenhann (Sydney University)
21. Harry Bennett (Eastern Suburbs)
22. Michael McDougall (Eastwood)
23. Salesi Manu (Manly)
24. Kotoni Ale (Warringah)

:-[

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Geez - I love that midfield pairing of Mortlock and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in his best spot and Morty didn't disgrace himself playing 12 on the EOYT against England, France and Wales, did he?

No doubt injuries will occur and Tyrone Smith will get a starting gig sometime, but I hope that Zipper isn't just treated as a wing this year. He's a bit slow to play there in professional rugby and his future should be in the midfield.

It will be great to see Rathbone and Fairbanks back. I hope that both have an injury-free season.

Neither starting team purports to be the best XV of their squad, but I'm a bit surprised that the mild but skilful Ben Hand is starting at lock for the Ponies. But maybe he has hardened the farque up since I saw him last.

Last year the JWs thrashed the Brumby Runners in the curtain raiser to the S14 game, but I can't see that happening this year. That Brumbies A side looks bloody good doesn't it? Mind you - they are playing a lot more of their reserves in the main game than the Tahs are in their A team.

As fatprop indicated: the Brumbies depth looks better than the Tahs, but at least by not using so many reserves in the main game to play in the A game, more Tahs juniors will get a run.

These boys were at school a few months ago and will be playing their first senior game:
11. Damon Anderson (Eastern Suburbs)
12. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood)
14. Greg Jeloudev (Sydney University)

20. Ed Bredenhann (Sydney University) 9
21. Harry Bennett (Eastern Suburbs) 10
22. Michael McDougall (Eastwood) 12
23. Salesi Manu (Manly) 1
24. Kotoni Ale (Warringah) 6,7,8

I will be watching them like their second dad.

All the lads were either in the Oz Schools Ones or Twos last year except 14. "Jelly". He was the guy who I said he would make his mark in senior rugby ahead of some of the boys selected for Oz Schools squads last year. Watch him if he gets a bit of pill. Paul Carozza comes to mind.

11. Anderson was an oddity in Sydney Schools rugby - a Cranbrook lad who could really play rugby. Watch him if the game opens up, as he can shift down the middle of the park and carve up.

It's interesting that Oz Schools scrummie Eddie Bredenhann from Churchie decided to play in Sydney. Maybe his mum is a crook cook - or maybe Sydney Uni recruited him. He's a good player and goal kicker.

It will be good to see Tim Bennetts play a game in the midfield. In the last two years he was either parked on the wing because of Horne and Cameron Mitchell or an injury no show.

I will be particularly interested in how local north shore boys 120kg LHP Manu and backrower Ale go if they get some time on the park. It will be their first senior game of many if I am any judge.

I'm a bit concerned that Cliffy Palu is not having a run before the S14 starts but it gives us a bit of a look at life without Vickers, Elsom and Lyons and the versatility if gave us.

Geez old Lee will have his work cut out following the comings and goings of 4 teams on the night. It should be a lot of fun though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Manu was at school last year and is now paying rep footy at prop??? Shees. So he'll play first grade?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Manly are hoping he'll be good enough to because their captain has retired and he was LHP.

He's a big lad at 120kgs, agile for his size and one of those big guys who have soft hands around the park.

That's all at the schools level, of course, but the content he is getting at the Junior Waratahs will stand him in good stead even if he's just in the amateur division.

As I mentioned elsewhere: it's strange that with the injuries to Dunning and Kefu that they didn't have one professional JW prop. Those two props starting for the JWs are club nose pickers.

S

Spook

Lads, I think we are reading a bit too much into the starting lineups and second teams. Henderson isn't the number 1 tight head and Burgess isn't starting for the Tahs.

Mafi has a crocked shoulder I hear. Betham isn't there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.