• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Spook said:
Lads, I think we are reading a bit too much into the starting lineups and second teams. Henderson isn't the number 1 tight head and Burgess isn't starting for the Tahs.
Jeremy Su'a played well against Fiji last week, perhaps well enough for another shot..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He's not a S14 contracted player and was never going to start in the final trial. All the starters are S14 contracted players - as are all but 3 of the 13 reserves.

Yeah - Su'a had a fine game in the 2nd half, didn't he? I think we have a fine 3rd string scrummie there. He's starting in the A game curtain raiser.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
These boys were at school a few months ago and will be playing their first senior game:
11. Damon Anderson (Eastern Suburbs)
12. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood)
14. Greg Jeloudev (Sydney University)

20. Ed Bredenhann (Sydney University) 9
21. Harry Bennett (Eastern Suburbs) 10
22. Michael McDougall (Eastwood) 12
23. Salesi Manu (Manly) 1
24. Kotoni Ale (Warringah) 6,7,8

I will be watching them like their second dad.

All the lads were either in the Oz Schools Ones or Twos last year except 14. "Jelly". He was the guy who I said he would make his mark in senior rugby ahead of some of the boys selected for Oz Schools squads last year. Watch him if he gets a bit of pill. Paul Carozza comes to mind.

11. Anderson was an oddity in Sydney Schools rugby - a Cranbrook lad who could really play rugby. Watch him if the game opens up, as he can shift down the middle of the park and carve up.

It's interesting that Oz Schools scrummie Eddie Bredenhann from Churchie decided to play in Sydney. Maybe his mum is a crook cook - or maybe Sydney Uni recruited him. He's a good player and goal kicker.
It will be good to see Tim Bennetts play a game in the midfield. In the last two years he was either parked on the wing because of Horne and Cameron Mitchell or an injury no show.

I will be particularly interested in how local north shore boys 120kg LHP Manu and backrower Ale go if they get some time on the park. It will be their first senior game of many if I am any judge.

I'm a bit concerned that Cliffy Palu is not having a run before the S14 starts but it gives us a bit of a look at life without Vickers, Elsom and Lyons and the versatility if gave us.

Geez old Lee will have his work cut out following the comings and goings of 4 teams on the night. It should be a lot of fun though.
There was no room in the Reds Academy for Breddanham with McKibben and Swanepoel already there and he was retained in the NTS squad along with Ambrosini (starting 10 for OZ schools against NZ last year). These two were subsequently given offers by the Tahs and Brumbies academies respectively.

What has happened to Cameron Mitchell? Is he injured?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He was crocked a lot last year so I'd guess that he is taking a gap year, or at least a year away from rugby. I recommended this a few months ago and perhaps he is doing just that.

Having so many injuries and of different types before one leaves school is not good. With injuries behind him I am sure the 2008 Oz Schools captain will be a success in senior rugby - and hopefully for the Tahs.

PS spectator - how good is Swanepoel? I obviously haven't seen the best of him, but I said the same about Jake Schatz.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee,

I last saw Swanepoel play in 2007, but he impressed me greatly then. Big, aggressive and strong with a good pass and can play as an extra forward. I've no doubt he will succeed as a senior player. Just trying to think who he reminds me of....maybe there's a bit of Farr-Jones about him?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Who's going to the game tonight? Scarfie, Naza, Ash, Blue, Cyclopath, Aussie D, NTA, Moses? Anyone? Lee, send me a PM.

How about a beer in the corner bar of the Olympic after the game? I can't get there beforehand as I've got a wine-tasting on this afternoon and will only see the main game.

Yellow scarves compulsory. If you haven't got one, get one.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Who's going to the game tonight? Scarfie, Naza, Ash, Blue, Cyclopath, Aussie D, NTA, Moses? Anyone? Lee, send me a PM.

How about a beer in the corner bar of the Olympic after the game? I can't get there beforehand as I've got a wine-tasting on this afternoon and will only see the main game.

Yellow scarves compulsory. If you haven't got one, get one.
I'll be there, just for the game though. It's blue season, you'll be on your own in a yellow scarf unless you're supporting the ponies.
Where's the Olympic? Chances are I'll be driving...

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moses said:
Where's the Olympic?

Moore Park Road, right across the far side from the Members' Entrance. Opposite the paddington entrance to the Cricket Ground.

Moses, I'm not so silly to wear my yellow scarf to the game, although Lee, Scarfie and I did once last year to a Tahs game. Just so we can find each other.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Moses said:
Where's the Olympic?

Moore Park Road, right across the far side from the Members' Entrance. Opposite the paddington entrance to the Cricket Ground.

Moses, I'm not so silly to wear my yellow scarf to the game, although Lee, Scarfie and I did once last year to a Tahs game. Just so we can find each other.
How bout we wear a waratah on our lapels... or try the use of mobile phones if that fails.

Could do the Olympic I guess - though would you consider the Fox and Lion, parking in Fox Studios is cheap and easy to get out of so we usually head there..

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Tossing up between going to the game or going to my first footy training of the year.

Decisions Decisions

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moses said:
How bout we wear a waratah on our lapels... or try the use of mobile phones if that fails.

Could do the Olympic I guess - though would you consider the Fox and Lion, parking in Fox Studios is cheap and easy to get out of so we usually head there.

The Fox + Lion it is, they have James Squire Pilsener on tap after all.

Had a look in my garden, Moses, the Waratahs aren't in flower at the moment, but I will wear a blue Tahs bucket hat. I'll PM my mobile.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Geez I've just had another look at the teams for the curtain raiser and it looks like a mismatch, which is a pity because the teams are not playing like with like, and not what you want to see.

The franchises should have got together and worked out something that was apples for apples which would have benefited both parties.

During the S14 season it doesn't matter because the A teams play everybody in their stable less the 22 starters in the S14 that weekend and maybe less a couple more just in case. Apples with apples and a meaningful contest and comparison.

In the main game tonight none of the Tahs 13 reserves are playing in the curtain raiser, except 3 guys from the Tahs Academy (sorry I can't get my head around "Junior Waratahs"). But the Brumbies team in the main game tonight is playing all their reserves in the curtain raiser. They'll play only the 1st half in the A game and barring injuries, the 2nd half in the main game.

So in the curtain raiser this kind of player profile appears:

Brumbies A team

Played in RWC: 1
Played in Super 14 before: 13
2008 [Edit] Schoolboys: 0

Waratahs A team

Played in RWC: 0
Played in Super 14 before: 0
2008 [Edit] Schoolboys: 8

It will be interesting if the Tahs A LHP gets hurt. It will mean that Salesi Manu, who has never played anything else but schoolboy footie, will scrum down against Guy Shepherdson our RWC THP.

Is this an excuse before the event to stop crowing about the depth in the Brumbies squad? Probably

Does anybody care? No

Should I shut up. Yes

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
Geez I've just had another look at the teams for the curtain raiser and it looks like a mismatch, which is a pity because the teams are not playing like with like, and not what you want to see.

The franchises should have got together and worked out something that was apples for apples which would have benefited both parties.

During the S14 season it doesn't matter because the A teams play everybody in their stable less the 22 starters in the S14 that weekend and maybe less a couple more just in case. Apples with apples and a meaningful contest and comparison.

In the main game tonight none of the Tahs 13 reserves are playing in the curtain raiser, except 3 guys from the Tahs Academy (sorry I can't get my head around "Junior Waratahs"). But the Brumbies team in the main game tonight is playing all their reserves in the curtain raiser. They'll play only the 1st half in the A game and barring injuries, the 2nd half in the main game.

Brumbies A team

2009 Schoolboys: 0

Waratahs A team

2009 Schoolboys: 8

It will be interesting if the Tahs A LHP gets hurt. It will mean that Salesi Manu, who has never played anything else but schoolboy footie, will scrum down against Guy Shepherdson our RWC THP.

Is this an excuse before the event to stop crowing about the depth in the Brumbies squad? Probably

Does anybody care? No

Should I shut up. Yes

Not trying to be a smart arse but I usually end up being so, I hope there are NO 2009 schoolboys.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Lee Grant said:

Brumbies A team

2009 Schoolboys: 0

Waratahs A team

2009 Schoolboys: 8

Does anybody care? No

Should I shut up. Yes

Not trying to be a smart arse but I usually end up being so, I hope there are NO 2009 schoolboys.

Well you didn't try too hard did you?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nope, not going to any trials this year. Forgot about it, and still a bit sick anyway. Besides, the Tahs v Crusaders game I went to last year rained out miserably and I got soaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.