• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Clan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
TPN and Tahu reportedly dumped to the bench, otherwise the 22 is unchanged.

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood), 2. Adam Freier (Randwick), 3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs), 4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University), 5. Will Caldwell (Sydney University), 6. Ben Mowen (Randwick), 7. Phil Waugh (c) (Sydney University), 8. Wycliff Palu (Manly); 9. Luke Burgess (Eastern Suburbs), 10. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs); 11. Lote Tuqiri (West Harbour), 12. Tom Carter (Sydney University), 13. Rob Horne (Southern Districts), 14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood); 15. Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs)
Reserves: 16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta), 17. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts), 18. Chris Thomson (Warringah), 19. Scott Fava (Eastwood), 20. Brett Sheehan (Warringah), 21. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), 22. Timana Tahu (West Harbour)

Anyone know anything about the lead in game?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tom Carter.

If HG and Roy commentated on S14 rugby ala they did the league in the mid-80s, Tom Carter would be Kevin Hardwick. We would have the "Tom Carter" playing meter in that Tom Carter is the most average player in the game (as Hardwick was in the NSWRL) and players could be ranked upon him. Such that Dean Mumm would have be '5 Carter points' (ala as good as 5 Tom Carters) whilst Phil Waugh would be 3. :fishing

But fine, go ahead and pick him NSW. Just keep him there next week as well please!!!!

F

formeropenside

Kevin Hardwick - he was the lion-haired Balmain utility replacement forward, wasn't he? Not a great post-match speaker as I recall.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Carter isn't crap and like Hardwick does all the little things well. Tahu has done OK so far and so has Carter, just OK......

R

rugbywhisperer

And so that is what you get when you take gread or above average schoolboy players and thrust them into such a high standard competition with the old fashioned grooming. It really has only been blind luch the Beale, Cooper, Turner and Horne havent gone down that road.
I am not totally up with the stats here but how many players turn out for the Crusaders, Blues etc in their first or second year out of school.

It is about time we taught these kids in grade and regional level before throwing them to the lions the way we have been doing.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
He is playing better than Berrick Barnes

Based on what? the 20 minutes he got against the Chiefs in the ugliest game of rugby I can remember.

Barnes is out of form but Carter has done nothing to say he's been playing any better.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
fatprop said:
Noddy said:
Carter is not crap. Just very average.

Whether or not that is true, temporary flucuations in form don't replace class.

So Tom Carter is the vanilla of rugby players?

I'd have thought that a Barnes is a good 2 or 3 Carters. Horne also.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This isn't about Carter, it's about Tahu. Currently Tahu is about 0.7 Carters and deserves to be droppped.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
disco said:

Based on what? the 20 minutes he got against the Chiefs in the ugliest game of rugby I can remember.

Barnes is out of form but Carter has done nothing to say he's been playing any better.

Disco

Let me rephrase then, he is playing as well as Barnes

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scarfman said:
This isn't about Carter, it's about Tahu. Currently Tahu is about 0.7 Carters and deserves to be droppped.

Fair point.

Hope that Tahu gets plenty of time off the bench to give him a real chance to show that he has a few more Carters in him. Or maybe the dropping will motivate himto move back to league.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ash said:
Scarfman said:

Fair point.

Hope that Tahu gets plenty of time off the bench to give him a real chance to show that he has a few more Carters in him. Or maybe the dropping will motivate himto move back to league.

Or would you prefer he moved to the Force?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
mark_s said:
Ash said:

Or would you prefer he moved to the Force?

Well, the Tahs were saying they were very interested in J'OC...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahu is doing some good things and some quite average things in each game. I was amused/frustrated when his one handed "leaguie" ball control being stripped in seconds

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tahu hasn't done enough to hold the 12 jersey so if Carter has a solid game at best then I think we'll see him line up against the Reds next week.

s about Tahu. Currently Tahu is about 0.7 Carters and deserves to be droppped.
Fair comment.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow - I thought Tahu might get another gig because the whole team was crap last week except for set pieces. I didn't pick this would happen in Rd 3 after I saw him dominate in the half he played in the Newcastle trial.

I mentioned on the Tahs thread (I think) in the summer that we couldn't assume that the Horne/Tahu midfield would automatically work, and that if it didn't Carter would be back in the team in place of one of them, and it's happened.

Carter was crocked for a long time in 2008 and got crocked again when he came back to club rugby. He has played very little since the 2008 Super14 except for the recent trials; so I don't know how well he will go.

He doesn't have a great range of skills compared to other 12s in the Super14 but he plays closer to his ability than most of them. Sure, he can dish out a pass now and then and contribute to a movement but by and large he's a bit of a resistor to the ball going out wide, not a conductor.

Cue naza here to say I missed the ball going out wide last Friday; so what's the difference? Actually I reckon Carter would have been good in that game when the Chiefs were rushing up and I think that the coaching staff will have an opinion that the Clan backs will do the same.

There may be a few chip kicks too.

Good on Carter though for getting his place back though. He must be going well on the training paddock. It's a pity that Tahu didn't show any form in two games, but he'll be back.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Tahs coaching staff should've used the preseason games to trial Horne at 12 and Tahu at 13. Tahu doesn't seem comfortable with the lesser space he faces in rugby. Horne, well, he could play anywhere, but not the front row.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PS - I forgot that TPN got benched too. I don't think that would be on merit as his throwing to the lineout has been tops and he's been fizzing around the park on attack and defence and hitting a lot of folks in tackles and rucks. In prior years we had heard that he had to work on his scrummaging, but if the proof of the pudding is in the back pedalling of opponents scrums, he can't be going too bad helping out in that department.

The thing he has to work on is not giving miracle passes just before he hits the deck or just after. He should pass before the tackle or present the pill after going to ground instead.

Maybe he has a niggle or maybe it's just to give the 3rd ranked Wallaby hooker a run - though Freier looked slightly crocked last Friday IIRR. At least Freier adds another fetcher to the team (cue for naza) and his leadership is tops.

It makes the Tahs scrum even lighter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.