• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Clan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can't say I've said this very often, But I think Lote had a sensational game too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The ref was an absolute shocker though, highly pedantic over stupid things like taking quick taps exactly on the mark. He robbed the highlanders of a try with a forward pass call. I hope we dont see him again, I shudder to think what the game against the chiefs would have been like if he had of been in charge

Another ref who worries about the inconsequential things and stops the game from flowing

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'll look at my recording later to check what I am writing now and to confirm that Beale did a couple of brave tackles, but in the meantime I thought the encouraging standards of the Tahs work in the contests this year dropped in intensity. In the trials and the first two rounds they seemed to have enough guys to ruck, counter-ruck and deny counter-rucking, but last night they looked like any other team - and the same for the set pieces.

Defence was still bloody good though.

The Highlanders weren't so up themselves, were physical and selective when to make their efforts, and tried to play a expansive game. That they didn't come close to winning was not due to their attitude but because they didn't have the cattle.

14 points out of a possible 15 on the table ain't too shabby but the more cold-eyed of us know that mild performances, like against the Tribe and the Clan, won't do against teams who do have the cattle.

I wish the Tahs played with the endeavour of the Clan. I wouldn't blame our flyhalf who is usually the guy one points a finger at when this kind of thing happens; it seems to be a team thing.

During the brief history of professional rugby Oz fans of various teams, including the Wallabies, often had to say that we lost the game but we played all the rugby - well Tahs fans can't say their team is playing all the rugby these days.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sully said:
I can't say I've said this very often, But I think Lote had a sensational game too.

He's played OK this year I reckon and has made a better start than last year when it took him a while to get going.

But last night against the Clan, he had one bad moment. Just after the visitors scored their try, Lote got the ball with Palu ranging outside him with a Clan winger in front to run over, and Lote steps inside for himself instead.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lee Grant said:
I'll look at my recording later to check what I am writing now and to confirm that Beale did a couple of brave tackles.

He made a try saver I one of the clans inside backs when a try to the clan the would have put them right back in the game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I tend to agree with Leckie on one of those calls - Robinson definitely was boring in at an angle. Other one looked like both went in. Robinson does tend to bore in at times and he's been pinged for it before.

P

PhucNgo

Scarfman said:
Beale's goal kicking was freakish tonight. He stuttered in and chipped it and they all went over. Maybe he's just got to back himself and not listen to anything Burke tells him.

A couple of weeks ago I was impressed with Beales kicking 'cause it looked as if it came from the Joey Johns kicking manual. Last week was the Matthew Burke kicking manual, and enough said. Last night we were back to Joey Johns. Notice the swinging arms at the commencement of the run-in and the low-trajectory follow through. He now needs to figure out that this is the way he'll get his averages up.

Also notice that in kicking from hand he's stopped dropping the ball from above waist height. The long raking touch finder in the first half was a beauty.

Did anyone notice (comment) that Beale also made a tackle, not a high-five type as usual, but a genuine tackle which probably stopped a try. He does need to harden up in this area. A good all-round game in what was otherwise an unstructured game from the Clan, which suits Beale, I think.

I spose a wins a win, but next week should be a far bigger test. I'll hold judgement on that until I see how the Reds go tomorrow tho. Friday night's game was all about money and what you can achieve with it. The Clan came out with a few key players (the few that they indeed do have) missing and probably over enthused, lacking and discipline in crucial areas and times - not a bad effort tho from a bunch of nonames. The Tahs on the other hand were disciplined as you'd expect from a team brimming with Wallabies and having a well credentialled (and extensive) coaching staff.

BUT, either the Tahs have it, and they're not showing it (on purpose maybe), or they've just lost the plot. In the game against the Brums a few weeks back, they looked the goods, or if not, as tho they had the potential to produce it soon. In the first two real matches all they've shown is that they've got a good defence if you run at them and they're clueless in attack. Counter attacking is another matter, but from set piece or in general play they're just SO predictable. So much so that during the first half it seemed to me that Beale must have a third-party sponsorship deal going with Westmead hospital, because that's where his dinky passes seemed aimed at putting people.

P

PhucNgo

Sully said:

Lote has all the evasive skills of a runaway ice cream truck. He tries ahrd tho, as you'd expect from a guy who earns as much as he does.

R

Rugby Rat

Great for the Tahs to get the bonus point albiet after a blatent knock on and shepherd. Will become very important at the end of the year.

Tahs are looking good, however the Sharks are the one's that altho very lucky to win were very impressive. A home final and wow they won't be beat.

For mine it's already looking like Canes/Tahs/Sharks. Reckon the win will go with the home teams in the semis.

How did the Cheifs lose that game ? They were very very good at ball retention and fun to watch them attack. 3 losses makes it hard from here. But great rugby !!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
Sully said:

Lote has all the evasive skills of a runaway ice cream truck. He tries ahrd tho, as you'd expect from a guy who earns as much as he does.
Nice analogy!! ;D
I think he has shown an attitude adjustment since Deans got his hands on him last year. He was made to feel he had to work for his Wallaby spot (as he should) and Deans got him running straighter and harder with better results. His work rate can't be faulted; the execution still falls short at times, but if you watch the way he gets about on the field and reacts to team-mates doing something positive, I think he looks more the team man than ever before. Didn't see him and SNK high-fiving tho'... ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ash said:
I tend to agree with Leckie on one of those calls - Robinson definitely was boring in at an angle. Other one looked like both went in. Robinson does tend to bore in at times and he's been pinged for it before.

That is his job, as long as the THP keeps the scrum stable the LHP 1play all sorts of games to disrupt the scrum >:D

What do you think Woodcock does at every opportunity.

Young was great at it until we lost stability at THP

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Did anyone else see the number of times poor Phil Waugh got stood up cleanly in defence? Not even a finger. Gees, he looked huge in the dressing room before the game, and he's a true warrior, but he really needs to stop sacrificing speed for bulk. Might be too late though.

I'd still like to see the Tahs be more enterprising. They have the pack to give them the ball, but they don't use it much in attack. Very little width generally. They had two or so lovely phases of play, and the rest was majorly uncreative crash balls centre field.

Oh, and how funny was Tom Carter's non-try celebration?

On Robinson, I have no problems with him boring unless he gets caught and gives away penalties ;)

R

Rugby Rat

Ash said:
On the scrums !!! How can the tahs get penalised 3 times via short arm in a row only for the Highlanders to get penalised a full arm the very next scrum.

Average at best.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ash said:
Did anyone else see the number of times poor Phil Waugh got stood up cleanly in defence? Not even a finger. Gees, he looked huge in the dressing room before the game, and he's a true warrior, but he really needs to stop sacrificing speed for bulk. Might be too late though.

I'd still like to see the Tahs be more enterprising. They have the pack to give them the ball, but they don't use it much in attack. Very little width generally. They had two or so lovely phases of play, and the rest was majorly uncreative crash balls centre field.

I'm a broken record on both points.

Our backs need to offer a lot more in attack. Our pack are having to take on too much of the load there and as a result we get short of numbers at the breakdown a couple of phases down the line.

F

formeropenside

Rugby Rat said:
Ash said:
On the scrums !!! How can the tahs get penalised 3 times via short arm in a row only for the Highlanders to get penalised a full arm the very next scrum.

Average at best.

There was a change of props I think for the Clan - and their no1 THP was out injured before the game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Newlands was taking a small step to the left on some of those scrums - not all of them, mind. As a result Robinson has nowhere to go but in as the Clan shear off to the Tahs' right shoulders. Very good tactic on their own feed and they probably did it realising Robinson is a good LHP. It required Baxter and Hobbit/TPN to attack their hooker more but obviously no-one was talking to each other about tactics.

Palmer's problem was over-enthusiasm - he wanted to get to Newlands early and the big THP simply pulled back a bit on engage and made it look like Palmer went earlier than he really did. I think he did fairly well considering he's still basically a schoolboy prop in a big man's game, and he'll need to start a few games later in the season. Certainly he's miles ahead of Tilse.

Pissed with out lineout given the Clan second rowers aren't household names in the air. They moved Thompson around a bit and he's a bit giraffe so got some good work done.

Mowen's still a lightweight everywhere but in space so I'll be glad to see Chris Thomson start in the second row and move Mumm to the flank. We're going to have injury issues if the workload on our starting pack keeps up like this and Robinson is already showing signs of wear and tear.

Good to see Cliffy back in top form and that Beale can actually use his boot - hopefully he can keep it up.

For the Clan - jeez that Dagg bloke can kick like a mule! With a bit more experience between them, this team would go places. As it is, their best and brightest will probably get picked off by other franchises.

R

Rugby Rat

Seem to be a glut of good 10's in NZ at the moment. Weepu, Bowden, Donald all showed courage and skill.

Was impressed with Bowden under pressure. Could he be the next Carter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.