• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Stormers, rd 13 Super Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
DHL STORMERS:15. Joe Pietersen, 14. Gio Aplon,13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Jean de Villiers (captain), 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Gary van Aswegen, 9. Dewaldt Duvenage, 8. Duane Vermeulen, 7. Rynhardt Elstadt, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Andries Bekker, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Deon Fourie, 1. Steven Kitshoff.

Replacements:
16. Scarra Ntubeni, 17. Pat Cilliers, 18. Don Armand, 19. Nizaam Carr, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Elton Jantjies, 22. Gerhard van den Heever.
Living in the past Blue! ;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Israel Folau, that is all.

Reminds me of the classic old joke about the the Darkness vs Wales at the Arms Park in the days when Jonah Lomu was supreme.

The Darkness were up by 40 points at 1/2 time so Sean Fitzpatrick says to Jonah, "we are up by a fair amount already. The boys are a bit tired and thirsty. You are playing well so I want you to play the Welsh by yourself in the second half and we'll head off to the Angel Hotel for some beers.

At the aftermatch function, Sean Fitzpatrick asked Jonah how did he go in the second half. Jonah said that they managed to win by 2 points only.

How come? We were up by 40 points at half time asks Fitzpatrick.

I got sent off after 8 minutes, replies Jonah.

##################

Substitute Israel for Jonah.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Looks like Barnes will be playing Shute Shield this week, according to the papers anyway. Kudos to Cheika if its true, everyone no matter what their reputation should have to earn their jersey back.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Looks like Barnes will be playing Shute Shield this week, according to the papers anyway. Kudos to Cheika if its true, everyone no matter what their reputation should have to earn their jersey back.

I don't argue with the concept, but realistically, how is Barnes going to earn his jersey back playing for Uni? We might not like his playing style, but he's an extremely dependable player, and has shown it over and over. We know he will play well for his club, we know he will play well off the bench for the Tahs. If he's showing good form in training, I'd rather he came back off the bench this week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
$10 says he replaces Volavola on the bench.

As an excellent defender, good all round player and a dependable goalkicker, he's exactly the sort of guy we might need to close out this game.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't argue with the concept, but realistically, how is Barnes going to earn his jersey back playing for Uni? We might not like his playing style, but he's an extremely dependable player, and has shown it over and over. We know he will play well for his club, we know he will play well off the bench for the Tahs. If he's showing good form in training, I'd rather he came back off the bench this week.

For a start it would be good for him to get some match fitness, in his cameo against the Cheetahs he looked off the pace of Super Rugby. Shute Shield is a step down but given the Tahs have been in SA, and probably only had light sessions this week due to the train of traveling home, what kind of training has he been doing?I doubt he has had a chance to impress this week so the best way for him to show he is ready should be lining out for Sydney Uni.

For what its worth I think he is worth having on the bench but I also like Cheika's culture of reputation meaning nothing and performances being rewarded. Right now given the circumstances I'm not sure Berrick would have had the chance to give any performances in training that merited a spot in the 22.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, we don't know how Barnes has been going in training, and you're right that they have played it light since their return from SA. But I don't think the rule has to be: no exceptions, everyone plays a match for club before returning to the Tahs after injury. Especially if they are as dependable as Berrick.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Even if Barnes plays well where is he going to come back into the starting side at? Horne has to stay at 12, he's straightening the attack in every run he makes, Barnes can't do that. We do need a better goal kicker however.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Even if Barnes plays well where is he going to come back into the starting side at? Horne has to stay at 12, he's straightening the attack in every run he makes, Barnes can't do that. We do need a better goal kicker however.

At this point I think he is purely a bench option until an injury or drop-off in form occurs. Much as I'd love to see better goal-kicking from minute 1. As McKibbin's general play has improved in the last few games, his goal-kicking seems to have dropped off.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Does anyone have any insight as to why AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be wearing a NO CONTACT bib at training this week?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same XV. Mitchell in for Kingston and Barnes also on the bench (1 to drop off)

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Kane Douglas
6. Dave Dennis (c)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Brendan McKibbin
10. Bernard Foley
11. Peter Betham
12. Rob Horne
13. Adam Ashey-Cooper
14. Cam Crawford
15. Israel Folau

16. John Ulugia
17. Paddy Ryan
18. Mitchell Chapman
19. Pat McCutcheon
20. Matt Lucas
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Drew Mitchell

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
HSBC Waratahs team to play the Stormers
Saturday May 11, 2013 (7.40pm)
Allianz Stadium, Sydney
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
4. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)

Replacements
16. John Ulugia (Eastern Suburbs)
17. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
18. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
19. Mitchell Chapman (Eastern Suburbs)
20. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
21. Matt Lucas (Manly)
22. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
23. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
This was posted by the Tahs on twitter.
So Volavola and Kingston have dropped off so Barnes is definitely playing.
Looks like Skelton will be disappointed as per the last few weeks. Not sure why they keep doing that!

Edit:

Waratahs website said:
Also included on the bench is towering lock Will Skelton. If the 21-year-old, who weighs in at 135kg and stands at 203cm tall, makes his debut in the game, he will become the second heaviest player in this year’s Super Rugby competition behind Chiefs’ prop Ben Tameifuna (137kg).

Who knows if they'll actually keep him on the bench or drop him off as per previous weeks.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I like it. Good team, shows faith in the guys who're playing great, but also puts some veterans on the bench if the game needs steady hands towards the end.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Allianz Stadium, Sydney
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)

Replacements
21. Matt Lucas (Manly)
This was posted by the Tahs on twitter.
So Volavola and Kingston have dropped off so Barnes is definitely playing.
Looks like Skelton will be disappointed as per the last few weeks. Not sure why they keep doing that!

Edit:

Who knows if they'll actually keep him on the bench or drop him off as per previous weeks.

I assume it is part of his apprenticeship, he should expect some time vs the Aus sides

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I assume it is part of his apprenticeship, he should expect some time vs the Aus sides

It's all part of the Tahs culture to build up expectation and hope and then crush it mercilessly.

Once he's mastered what it's like to be a fan, he can become a player.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Allianz Stadium, Sydney
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)

Replacements
21. Matt Lucas (Manly)
Good team, Waratahs by 35 now.