• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Stormers, rd 13 Super Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I suggest you look up a bit of Folau's RL footgage to see his ability in the air. Both Habana and JDV will need to be inch perfect on every occasion if the cross field kick is applied. Also, both Crawford and Betham are reasonably tall. Which means it may not matter which wing Aplon is on.

It's a tactic I think we should have employed more during the 2003 RWC final. Chase Robinson around the park for the likes of Latham and Tuqiri going up after it.

It is a low percentage play. When it comes off it looks amazing. But it's not easy. So much can go wrong.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The point is they have only attempted it once for a try - 100%. Staggering they haven't tried it again in the last 2 games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True - which is why it would be best used when there's a penalty advantage on offer.

This.

It should be the go-to play with penalty advantage inside the 22.

Spend a phase of two working to one side of the field and then kick to the opposite corner for Folau.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Foley with his 7s background alone should have enough rugby nous to see who is which wing. If Aplon is relatively isolated and we have a back 3 player over there we should be trying this, even if it doesn't work it will hopefully put some doubt in the minds of the Stormers inside defense giving Foley and extra second or two on the ball.
vlcsnap-2013-05-10-12h32m38s106_zps0fdd3e35.png

Now what do you see?

T

TOCC

Lol Izzy is now a substitute for the greatest winger of all time?....

What happened to that man love scale that was floating around this thread a year or so ago, I think we might need to add a new category!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
So the Tah's come out and see its raining and go "Oh shit we forgot to practice the maul due to practicing cross kicks"

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
I doubt they practise cross field kicks seeing as its been used once this season
Was used about 2/3 weeks ago - penalty advantage, low percentage* kick by I think foley, across to izzy who catches it on the chest between two defenders and scores

* always wondered why this isn't used more often, like the 20% drop kick is used more than the 10% cross field kick but the cross field pays more then the drop

p.s think it was the chuefs

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Betham is a better attacking threat, he runs excellent lines and is powerful in contact. Does make a lot of errors however but does enough to be rated over Kingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom