• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Tonga Trial - SFS - Friday 17th February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How did cutch look? like a sevens player trying to be hard again, or was he effective?
Not as good as last week when he played 8, but he wouldn't be the Lone Ranger. Alcock definitely a bigger threat with ball in hand but Cutch better in tight IMO.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Are we really stuck with Hangers & Barnes again ? We deserve more than a bloke who can't pass further than 5 yards and Sookface loitering 10 metres behind the advantage line.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Had a quick chat to Kepu after, he said Tonga were more physical than Samoa, harder to play, better defence. Also said something like they were meant to get about 60mins each. He didn't know about Barnes', thought it might have been a precaution.
Sarel looks good out there.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Barnes was a precaution, it was his groin.

A few notes on certain players:

Cat: Look like he has put on a bit of weight, but looked good in the scrums and side steped a few blokes around the park.
Fitzy: Line-out throwing very poor, needs to shape up.
Mumm: Had a few good runs, nothing spectacular
Douglas: Dropped a restart, but otherwise had a good game
Dennis: Solid, Rocky needs to earn his spot.
McCutcheon: Played very very well.
Palu: Tongans had him marked 15-1 but he came through with some big hits and no injuries to his name.

Pretorius: What can I say? Whoever signed him needs a raise.
Carter: Broke tackles all over the park, ran well and even threw a few passes
Horne: Same as above, but got a try to his name.
BKH & Kingston: Looked fast and dangerous, real test will be next week.
Ashley Cooper: Made some fantastic runs, hopefully he will get even better as the season goes on.

Ulugia: Made about 5 big hits, lineout throwing much better, fantastic performance
Peterson: Massive unit, had a good game
Alcock: Ran through about 5 guys to score, and did a beautiful swan dive as well.
Timani Jr: Almost had as good a game as Cliffy.
McKibben: Kept the tempo of the game after Sarel went off, made a few good breaks
Betham: He will be contracted if one of our wingers so much as stubbs a toe. great game.
Trist: I have heard he is a smart guy, he plays smart rugby too, wuold love to see more of him.
Foley: Had a fantastic game. Relished the space up the back early on, then switched to 10 seamlessly and always looked a threat in the line.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was it raining during the game? The ground must've been a bit wet, seems we dropped a lot of ball.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Some thoughts about the players in the last 2 weeks:

- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) rusty but came into his own for about 15-20 minutes with a purple patch. Could use another game.

- BKH disappointing after two games doesn't look like a winger; looks like he swallowed a sheep over summer.

- B. Foley - looks like a starting player, even when he switched to 10 late; excellent at 12 last week; tried a bit too hard at fullback. Certainty for the 22.

- Kingston - just a whiff of X-factor about him; didn't make any mistakes I can remember in 2 games. Not a bad winger for an outside centre.

- Horne - quiet last week; sharper this week - getting into his work like a thoroughbred.

- Carter - Some good offloads in both games and slipped some tackles tonight.

- Barnes - boringly good before going off tonight with tightness in hamstring/groin. Watch this space.

- Pretorius - could be one of the buys of the season. Only Tah with X-Factor in 2 games.

- McKibbin - very steady and occasionally dangerous both games. Solid back up.

- Palu - tackled hard; will be better for the run but needs more game time.

- McCutcheon and Alcock - see last post

- Douglas - best 2nd rower IMO - mongrel.

- Mumm - 2 steady games; no petrol left in tank.

- Peterson - very good in Tamworth - less noticeable tonight - found himself in wrong place in a couple of restarts; getting more confidence though.

- Dennis - same comments as Mumm.

- Ryan - superb last week but less noticeable tonight - dropped a ball near the line again though.

- Robinson - had some good runs late in his spell - Tonga THP went back all night in scrum. F/Cat needs another game though.

- Kepu - looks at the top of his form, apart from dropping a key pass.

- Fitzpatrick - superb Keith Wood game last week but dodgy knee failed again tonight. Some wobbly throws to the lineout.

- Ulugia - very good game in tight, tough player, both matches; sneaky good improver you want in your team. Could play in front of Fitzy next week.

EPS

- Trist - two excellent games for a player outside the 30.
- Hart - steady but needs to be more dynamic. Watching Pretorius will do him no harm.
- Metuisela - have seen him play better than he has in the last 2 weeks.
- Lopeti T - he's 21 now, 117 kgs and 193 cms; needs to improve lineout receptions, but otherwise had two cracking games.

Invited players:
- 13. Hodge, 11. Betham and 4. Stanford were the best of them - all very handy players.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Tahs as a team over 2 weeks:

- handling was below average tonight as poor ballwork (both passing and catching) from forwards and backs spoiled opportunities. This work was better in the rain last week. No - I can't work it out either.

- lineouts need improvement - were decent last week but too many were lost tonight. Fitzy threw badly 2-3 times but sometimes the catching was poor. A couple of good steals though.

- tackling - and marking up around the ruck and in the back line was good; not too many breaks against.

- restarts need more work; not as good as last week.

- mauling and counter mauling was excellent both games.

- scrums were brilliant both weeks albeit against amateur teams.

- kicking out of hand was excellent last week and not bad this week

- goal kicking by Barnes both weeks was good as was McKibbin last week.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Had a quick chat to Kepu after, he said Tonga were more physical than Samoa, harder to play, better defence.

It looked like it to me also; however, even taking that into account: I thought the Tahs weren't as good tonight as in Tamworth.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't have the insight of LG or even #1 Tah, but based on tonight I'm slightly concerned. The lineout was abysmal and that's being nice. The Togan defence against the XV was good, however the fact the Tahs could only put a couple of tries on them in the first "quarter' is a conern.

No disrespect to the Tongans they gave everything they had but this gives us an idea of the calibre of the opposition. The professional Tahs vs. the amateur Tongans. The Tongas were wearing different coloured jerseys and socks to each other and at one stage a substitue had to wait while the guy coming off the field unlaced his boots and gave them to the substitue.

Based on tonight, if I was the Reds I wouldn't be concerned. However the Tahs play to the opposition so... hopefully they lift and they give the Reds a tough game.

Pretorious - brilliant
Greg Peterson - the biggest human being on the planet.
Peter Betham - why he doesn't have a Super rugby Contract is beyond me
Kingston - don't want to give an ego, but I agree with LG he has the x-factor

There was nothing that I saw tonight that I thought, wow, this team is going to take out the championship, but that's OK.

IMO apart from Pretorius there were no superstars tonight, but it was just one game against a disjointed opposition. I'm quite happy with that. There is no "give it Waugh to punch it up' there is no 'give it Kurtley to get us out of this'. This team has to work together to get the results. The were rusty tonight. Very rusty, but if they gel they will work together for each other and they will get the results.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Coach Michael Foley said the 22-year-old Eastwood hooker could have played on but was taken off as a ''precaution''.
''Pretty much anybody that took a little bit of a knock tonight that could have got worse, we replaced them pretty quickly,'' Foley said, adding that he expected both players would be cleared to play next week in the season opener against the Reds.

that seems reasonable for a trial

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
From my spot on the sideline at SFS I can see Drew Mitchell in a moonboot and talking about a longer stay on sidelines.
I think this season is going to be about new talent and the younger players getting a go at the Tahs. There is scepticism about a fit Rocky getting back on the field and the injury news about Dan Vickerman and Lachie Turner is heartbreaking, followed by Drew Mitchell not knowing when he will be back. I can see that Tahs having a good season but not at the top of the table where some fans want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.