• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Brumbies RD 14 Saturday 18th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Funny to see a lot of Tahs fans now having issues with the Brumbies tactics. I don't remember this support when they were cynical against the reds.

The referee makes a big difference in this type of game. I have no doubt that if Walsh was in the centre in the reds brumbies game the reds would have got the win.

Why would I want to support the Reds? I thought a draw was the perfect result for that match :p

But seriously, the offside line speed out wide is hard to see on the TV. Up high at the ground it was quite noticeable. As Walsh focused on the breakdown (and where the TV cameras are focused) they started marching forward behind him, I blame the RA's.

I was also amused with White being baffled about his side being penalised for taking out the 9

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Tahs !!!!!

IMO Folau was useless - didn't inject himself into the game at all - having said that did you notice how just about every kid after the match thought he was a hero - says something about his drawing power.
Barnes was special - ran the ball so well - improved his prospects further (as if that was necessary)
Feel empathy for TPN and Smith - poor buggers.

Tahs certainly coming good at the back end - they will rue those earlier performances even more now.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
A cynical hand in the ruck which killed a golden opportunity for the Tahs in the red zone. A clear yellow card.
The guys commentating appeared to think Tevita hadn't done anything wrong, they appeared as flummoxed as we were.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Kuridrani got sent off because the team was on its final warning. It was pretty fair I reckon, ref has to draw the line somewhere.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the curtain raiser was Cockatoos vs NSW Suburban Union.

I would have liked to have seen that.

On another note very sad to hear about the George Smith injury. On the other hand as a Horne fan I'm happy to see he is really playing well. Steve Walsh did fine I thought.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I tipped the tahs in the last 2. I wont tip Against them for the rest on the season depending on who is out for the lions.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well done Tahs on the win.

I felt low in the guts when Kane Douglas got knocked senseless after just 50 seconds. Really, Really bad luck for the poor fella and the timing sucked. I am sure he would of wanted to go out and played a blinder for his Mum especially as he looked in tears during the moments silence. The Man upstairs really does know how to kick you when you're down at times.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well done Tahs on the win.

I felt low in the guts when Kane Douglas got knocked senseless after just 50 seconds. Really, Really bad luck for the poor fella and the timing sucked. I am sure he would of wanted to go out and played a blinder for his Mum especially as he looked in tears during the moments silence. The Man upstairs really does know how to kick you when you're down at times.
Did Fox Sports really need to show a replay of him stumbling around trying to get up? That was pretty sickening IMO

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Probably not #Tah but he did kind of stand out. I just feel sorry it happened this week of all weeks.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
They showed it on the screen at the stadium. Really horrible.

Yeah, my 4 year old daughter was a bit concerned at the replays of him staggering. Usually they avoid that sort of footage at the game and on the broadcast.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, my 4 year old daughter was a bit concerned at the replays of him staggering. Usually they avoid that sort of footage at the game and on the broadcast.

I was concerned so I can only imagine how your daughter felt! Terrible advertisement for rugby, really. Scoreboard guys should have switched to something else, even that dumb chant video instead.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I usually don't write a lot about the games on the forum but the Waratahs are to be congratulated for their win. It was good for an old Tahs' fan to see, but it wasn't worth the butcher's bill of George Smith and Tatafu Polota-Nau.

I thought the Brumbies strangled the Tahs in the first half and the Tahs didn't know how to respond: it was a bit like the Bulls game for them - and Round 4 in Canberra, of course.

As others have indicated: you don't get the vibe of thing watching on TV.

I thought the strategy of running from their own 22 was flawed, and nearly always will be for any team. There are exceptions, of course: to get go forward preparing for a clearing kick is one; or when there is an obvious hole, or if you can have a crack out wider, but pass to a team mate before contact if things don't work out, so he can reef the pill to the shithouse.

Cheika's comment that he expected to get penalties to be able to exit his 22 was naïve because the vibe was saying that the Brumbies weren't getting pinged enough for the strategy to work. But therein lies one of the Tahs' deficiencies this year: poor exits from their 22. Mitchell should have been OK with his left foot, but he was charged down for a try - and Crawford's right foot was missing.

There is no criticism of the Brumbies here: they were wading through and a bit around and, oops sorry, loitering for those precious clearing seconds near McKibbin and not being pinged a lot — it was like watching Liam Messam and Richie McCaw clones — and they would have been barking mad not to keep doing it.

The offside line of the Brumbies' backs was also more noticeable at the ground; mind you, I think that some of the Tahs' forwards must have astigmatism, or some such disorder, because they have been a step or two offside for most rucks in 2013.

Talking about barking mad: I wrote a while back that Deans would be such if he did not pick Barnes in his squad. I also wrote that it was a pity that Barnes had missed so many weeks because Cheika, and his system, could have turned him into a better flyhalf.

It seems that training with the Tahs has transformed Barnes into the type of flyhalf that is best suited to playing against the Lions - a game manager and yet a facilitator of flat attack - just in time for him to go offshore, unfortunately.

His influence against two Lions-like teams — the Stormers and the Brumbies — will have reassured Deans that he has such a player, either to start or at least to backup JOC (James O'Connor) or QC (Quade Cooper) should they be running on.

Unlike some other candidates: with Barnes you know that when he is in form he is just as likely to take that form up.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
/Talking about barking mad: I wrote a while back that Deans would be such if he did not pick Barnes in his squad. I also wrote that it was a pity that Barnes had missed so many weeks because Cheika, and his system, could have turned him into a better flyhalf./

Berrick's career has not been blessed by good timing. Such a shame we haven't seen more of him this year. A greater pity if he disappears into the Lions squad for a month and has to regress into a kick-first game.

Extra credit to the Tahs for staying around to sign autographs for the fans afterwards. And to a few of the Brumbies for doing the same, such as Ben Alexander - harder to do that when you're away from home and have just lost a big game.

Status
Not open for further replies.