• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Vs Bulls Rnd 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought the Tahs looked like they had the game under control in the first stanza. They even managed to get through Mumms sin binning without too much damage being done.
They lost a bit of starch/composure when Timani X 2 and Dennis came on.
It is a game of inches and the Tahs lacked the top two in the last 20 minutes.
Mumms binning and Palu's trademark ball spill certainly didn't help their momentum earlier on.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm glad that a lot of folks are getting the point that the Tahs' passing is poor. It's not that they don't practise it a lot because I know that they do.

I said after an early game: against the Rebels in Melbourne IIRR, that Pretorius had a top pass, but that was probably due to the lack of pressure - or strong drink consumed by the observer. He has regressed, and Barnes' has not improved. It wasn't just them, or just backs, either.

Every kind of pass was wanting at some time or another and so was the running onto the ball, as I posted at oranges.

The two go together: if the receivers aren't running forward the passers throw at them - and if the passers keep doing that the receivers aren't prepared to take the ball at pace. Before they know it players get caught in a horrid mental Mobius strip.

We hardly ever see the Tahs these days sweeping forward as in a wave and getting the ball in motion. That can only work with the pill delivered in front of runners. It's a simple game.

That's the kind of Mobius strip habit I'd like to see in action.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Bulls were very lethargic and played a more conservative game plan than we have seen from them most of the season. It was very much a case of sitting back and waiting for mistakes which was risky considering the recent defensive frailties.

There is another reason though. They played without their three most effective ball carriers in Olivier, Greyling and Potgieter. The game plan this year has releid on these guys gettign them over the advantage line and then playing from second and third phase ball.

The game plan was very much one of minimising risk. Let them play, if we can stay in touch we turn up the heat late in the match.

Not pretty, but it worked.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not that it excuses it. But did anyone else see the tackler carry on after the try and twist paka's ankle? Immediate thought was him bouncing the ball off his head was a reaction to that
No. Englebrecht's pwn momentum cuased him to turn over while hae was hanging on to Pakalani.

Pakalani was just being a silly twat, as again seen with his carry on after beign tackled agaisnt the Stormers.

Status
Not open for further replies.