• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs - Super Rugby RD6 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Historically the Chiefs lose more in Hamilton than on the road.
The Tahs problem is that they havent even been to SA yet where they almost never win.....but geez I reckon they look good for 2013*

*subject to injuries
This Chiefs team looks to have more of the orthodox, and less of the flash of teams past. A very solid unit.
Tahs actually won a few in the Republic in recent years. Not many teams have an overall positive ledger there, maybe only the Crusaders.
Tahs will have a tough road.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
chiefs are an interesting development this year...I didnt hear the chainsaw last night either: are they getting into the late 20th century?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This Chiefs team looks to have more of the orthodox, and less of the flash of teams past. A very solid unit.
Tahs actually won a few in the Republic in recent years. Not many teams have an overall positive ledger there, maybe only the Crusaders.
Tahs will have a tough road.

Yeah, the Chiefs now have a tight five prepared to work, backs prepared to tackle and a very good coach - they are major differences over previous years.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well take out the deflection off Dennis' boot (which could have gone anywhere) and Sam Cane being 2 miles offside, the score then is 13-16, which is much more respectable. We have played three of the competition favourites so far (Clan, Cheifs, Shorks) and lost two very respectably, and beat the Shorks. I don't think it's panic stations, as there are only a few real threatening games coming up (Brumbies x 2, Bulls, Stormers, Crusaders), and most of the others we should win reasonably well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How did the referee allow the Cane try? He was offside and wasn't even bound to the scrum, let's just ignore if the referee saw it. How is it possible for a flanker to intercept a ball from the back a scrum legally? He needs to be bound before the ball leaves the scrum.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I wouldn't normally say it was panic stations losing to the 2 leading kiwi teams, but to have lost 4 of 6 with one of these against the force (!), with many injured players already, means we are pushing shit uphill. Even if we get back on track and top the conference, we will be only just scraping into the 6 and will most likely cop a wolloping. This team doesn't look like it has the fortitude for a successful SA tour, and will probably drop games to the force and reds away too, as well as at least one to the brumbies. I hope the bye let's the team rest and rebuild because we need some renewed energy come rd 8

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Well take out the deflection off Dennis' boot (which could have gone anywhere) and Sam Cane being 2 miles offside, the score then is 13-16, which is much more respectable. We have played three of the competition favourites so far (Clan, Cheifs, Shorks) and lost two very respectably, and beat the Shorks. I don't think it's panic stations, as there are only a few real threatening games coming up (Brumbies x 2, Bulls, Stormers, Crusaders), and most of the others we should win reasonably well.

If McKibbin didn't kick the ball in the final minutes of the Reds game...if Hangers kicked the relatively easy conversion in the Highlanders match...if the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try wasn't disallowed against the Force... coulda, woulda, shoulda. Bottom line is if they were good enough they would have found a way to win.

The threatening games mentioned are half of the matches left for the Tahs. The remaining games include the Reds and Force away and the Cheetahs would be no easybeats in Sth Africa at home. With only two wins to date, they would have to win 8 of these 10 remaining games to get one of the wildcard finals places. Based on what we have seen to date, pretty unlikely. Even if they get to the finals, they would probably be making up the numbers (again!).

However having said that, if the Brumbies lose this weekend against the Reds, we will see the Tahs only one point behind them with the 4 points for the bye so all may not be lost.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
The Tahs backs are just an average bunch at the moment. They are behind a strong pack who were making good yards and giving front foot ball.

Barnes passing was/is atrocious for a 10, 80% or more were high and behind the man., 2 kicks not going the 10, his woeful kick gave the ball back to the chiefs and they scored a few plays later. He must have turned the ball over at least 6 times! Carter and Horne offer nothing. Horne has to be lucky to survive in my opinion. Never makes a bust and misses plenty of tackles this season. Needs a wake up. Kingston looks likely, big strong and quick, good on his feet. Could be a long term 13 in a year or two.

I'd be looking at McKibbon, Foley, Kingston, Carter, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hornes? Or ayone else and Barnes at the back.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
How did the referee allow the Cane try? He was offside and wasn't even bound to the scrum, let's just ignore if the referee saw it. How is it possible for a flanker to intercept a ball from the back a scrum legally? He needs to be bound before the ball leaves the scrum.

Yeah, I thought that one was a shocker too. Cane was almost playing 1st 5 for the Tahs. Cracked me up when the sideline commentator said it was a great move from the Chiefs and perfectly legal. :)

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Am I the only one not on the McKibben wagon? I counted 5 passes off target last night, and I missed large sections of the game. On one occasion at least we had a good overlap on about halfway and his pass To barnes was so high barnes had to jump and stretch to take it, killing any chance of a decent attack. Other passes were at the boots, behind the player, and on one occasion behind the whole back line. Was like watching a faster burgess.

By the time sarel came on we weren't controlling the ball and he had little chance to attack other than the last 5 minutes which was pretty desperate stuff.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
flanker clearly detached - and even if he wasnt how many times would you get away with that?? Remember when reviewing the tape that he has to keep the whole of his arm up to his shoulder in contact before the ball comes out.
How long has it been since this has been consistantly and correct enforced? Years.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Chiefs are a different side in attack this year and you can see Smith's coaching influence. In large part their defensive improvements has changed the way they attack plus the fact Cruden's game has matured as a playmaker.

I thought the Tahs played well in patches. Their fatties matched it pretty well and even were on top in the first half, but as others have stated they are missing the likes of Beale and Turner in the back division to finish off some of the good forward play.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
How long has it been since this has been consistantly and correct enforced? Years.
It's pretty rare for one so blatant to go unpunished. I agree that it's not always strictly enforced (like many things it depends on the referee) but there's no way that won't be mentioned in his review this week.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know there's a bias in my feeling but it seems any team Im following is pinged many times for early detachment and their opponents never are......in fact i could swap teams this week and it would still work out the same....even when i watch a game without a preconceived idea of who I want to win as soon as I start backing one side or the other you guessed it: they get pinged for early detachment and their opponents get off Scot free.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
I know there's a bias in my feeling but it seems any team Im following is pinged many times for early detachment and their opponents never are......in fact i could swap teams this week and it would still work out the same....even when i watch a game without a preconceived idea of who I want to win as soon as I start backing one side or the other you guessed it: they get pinged for early detachment and their opponents get off Scot free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_perception

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

The bit I was getting at was the whole arm binding. Technically there is an incorrect bind from one or more of the flankers at, I would guess, 99.5% of scrums. I get the shits with Aus teams as they seem to be the worse offenders. The ball is fed in and the next thing you see is the back three looking around like meerkats.

When I watched the game live, I couldn't see that much of a problem with the try. Working on the basis that the backrow no longer need to bind with the full arm as this is not how the law is being ajudicated. Will need to go back and have another look.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The bit I was getting at was the whole arm binding. Technically there is an incorrect bind from one or more of the flankers at, I would guess, 99.5% of scrums. I get the shits with Aus teams as they seem to be the worse offenders. The ball is fed in and the next thing you see is the back three looking around like meerkats.

When I watched the game live, I couldn't see that much of a problem with the try. Working on the basis that the backrow no longer need to bind with the full arm as this is not how the law is being ajudicated. Will need to go back and have another look.
Geez I hate meerkats - penalise the bloody lot of them - good description

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Never happy to lose, but I saw a lot to be encouraged by. A few close calls going the other way might have helped, but I think the result was a fair one overall.

The Waratah forwards were pretty strong throughout. I thought the main mistake was flinging it to the backs generally a bit too early. A bit more pick and drive and pop passes would have made the difference - giving the backs a bit more space, and making more time for the (often rushed in this game) last play/pass. As it was there was a lot of lateral movement from the backs without much penetration - oh for a Mitchell or a Beale!

Anyway, well done Chiefs, you look the goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.