• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Crusaders 2014 Super Rugby Grand Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I grew up in country and watched NSW v QLD
I’d then take my old leather footy with the laces broken and retied and the Bladder coming out and practise passing and kicking over the rusty old corregated tank in the side paddock for hours and dreamed of being a Waratah.
I came down to Sydney to go to school as we didn’t have a proper high school and learnt the game from old hard heads who would pat you on the back when you made the big hit or pick you up when you were winded and tell you “you’ll be right” and I dreamed of being a Waratah.
I wasn’t ever good enough to play in the As but made a couple of B teams and loved the feeling of playing with the good kids and scored a few tries and grazed a few knees and still dreamed of becoming a Waratah.
Went back home for a while and played club in the country where we would rock up chat in the change rooms, run out, smash anything that moved, get smashed have a beer at half time, do it all again and have a bbq and beer. We made lots of mates and all dreamed of becoming Waratahs...a few guys thought they were.
Got kids now who play school and club...they’re better than me and maybe they will go on..same game, same mates and they dream of becoming Waratahs.
I got to thinking what is a Waratah, Is it the game day 23-yes,is it the past players as well-yes.
But more importantly it’s also who got them there and who keeps them there.
Its the kids training in the back yard when they’re 5 and 6 passing the ball to the future Kurtley Beale.
Its the Mums and Dads who drive little Michael Hooper to hundreds of junior games.
Its the team mates who never made it but passed Izzy the ball to score that try.
Its the junior coaches who spent hours of their own time doing scrum practise with Fat cat.
Its the volunteers who do the club BBQs ,sell the raffle tickets.
So if you are one of the above and helped these guys get to the final hurdle then get out and support them because guess what folks...you’ve made it...
You are all Waratahs
Bleed Blue go the Tahs

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Anyone else surprised to see the Tahs come up favs here?

Even putting aside finals history, how on Earth is the Tahs set piece going to survive? This looks a nightmare game to me. Expect the Saders to completely dominate the scrum and lineout and fielding one of the greatest back rows in Super Rugby history, it looks like it is going to take something truly magical from the Tahs backs to stay in the game. The crowd is going to have to be very influential on the referee to keep the forwards in the contest and I'm just not sure the Tahs fans have it in them.

My assumption: this is either the Izzy show where he pulls it out almost single handedly or the Saders keep him relatively quiet and grind out title number 8 pretty easily.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Crusaders' stars are better on paper but I think the Tahs have a stronger overall team.

The Crusaders backrow of McCaw, Todd and Read which is arguably their biggest strength is pretty well matched by Hoiles, Hooper and Palu.

I think the Tahs have a stronger bench as well.

I think it's going to be an epic encounter.

The Crusaders have an excellent lineout and are averaging nearly 90% on their own ball. We don't have a great lineout and we're averaging just over 80% on our own ball.

I reckon if we win 70% of our lineout ball tomorrow we'll be going alright. Maybe pinch one off the Crusaders as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyone else surprised to see the Tahs come up favs here?

There is a difference between "favs" and having confidence in your team

Even putting aside finals history, how on Earth is the Tahs set piece going to survive? This looks a nightmare game to me. Expect the Saders to completely dominate the scrum and lineout

If it was that bad, why even bother selling tickets?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What impressed me about the Tahs last week was how they finished, under the pump for long periods, they got a sniff and their attacking structures stood up

Will they win? All I can say is I hope so, the saders are a very polished side

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Just quietly, the forus is starting to emit a bit of a "battered wives shelter" vibe from where I'm sitting

angry_mob_simpsons.jpg

Needs pitchforks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foxsports News just reporting that Beale failed to complete the captain's run today due to his shoulder injury. Pretty worrying for the Tahs. Hopefully he pulls up fine tomorrow.

They'll obviously be desperate for him to play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Absolutely. It's worrying as all fuck and brings back nightmares of him getting injured in 2008.

Hopefully they work wonders over the next 24 hours and he's in good shape tomorrow.

I've no doubt he'll play. He needs to last the game though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll help - punch him right in the shoulder. If he can't take that then we need to scrap him and get Jonno Lance into the starting lineup.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bt64vLFCAAIGNj4.jpg

Bt7CIuqCQAAaoje.jpg

So the captains both finally got there for the photoshoot with the trophy. Just not at the same time.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Braveheart81 - does that tweet/foxsports report seem like a bit of propoganda? how are we going to keep the game in the media today? Crowd and ticket sales focus early in the week, team releases yesterday. now what?

Hope Beale is okay though.

Status
Not open for further replies.