• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Force - Super Rugby R2 Sunday 23 February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Now that will be an interesting match up. A first good little test for Godwin against an international player, though one playing a bit out of position. If he goes well it will enhance his reputation further for mine.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
this would be my team to start against the Tahs:

1 Pek
2 Charles
3 Longbottom
4 MMM
5 Steenkamp
6 Cottal
7 Hodgeson
8 McCalman

9 Alby
10 Holmes
11 Badger
12 Godwin
13 Junior
14 Marcel
15 Morahan

16 Teesman
17 Falkner
18 Manu
19 Alcock
20 Braynard
21 Prior
22 Haywood
23 Stubbs

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Waratahs team to play the Western Force
Sunday February 23 (4.05pm)
Allianz Stadium, Sydney
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (Parramatta)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (captain, Sydney University)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
9. Nick Phipps (Sydney University)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Kurtley Beale (Randwick)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Alofa Alofa (West Harbour)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)
Replacements
16. Tola Latu (Sydney University)
17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
19. Jacques Potgieter
20. Stephen Hoiles (Randwick) /Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
21. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
23. Matt Carraro (Randwick)/Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs)

M

Moono75

this would be my team to start against the Tahs:

1 Pek
2 Charles
3 Longbottom
4 MMM
5 Steenkamp
6 Cottal
7 Hodgeson
8 McCalman

9 Alby
10 Holmes
11 Badger
12 Godwin
13 Junior
14 Marcel
15 Morahan

16 Teesman
17 Falkner
18 Manu
19 Alcock
20 Braynard
21 Prior
22 Haywood
23 Stubbs

I would have Haywood in starting over Marcel as he is more familiar with the Force setup.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Worried about our defense in the backline, the Force will be looking to test Bread, Beale and Betham. That said there are tries galore in the backline, just wonder if we have enough blokes who will run straight and take on crap ball. I'd like to see Hooper take some off the top line out ball to smash some holes and get the Force on the back foot.

Quick ball is going to be crucial so we don't get dragged into the dogfight which Michael Foley will want, Skelton and Douglas will need to get to the rucks quickly and clear out accurately to generate so quick ball for Phipps. Bernard Foley, quick ball and a lot of strike runners outside him could be great to watch.

M

Moono75

The first weeks always going to be tricky. Never sure what the coach is thinking regarding selections. Patty Delitt not in your mix?

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Pretty happy with that team as a Tahs fan. Wonder if the crowd will be a good one this Sunday?

Worried about the midfield defence. Foley and Beale are not noted defenders.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I like that Tahs side. Cheika has made all the gutsy calls, with Skelton starting, Beale at 12 and 'bread' on the wing, certainly no 'playing it safe' there.
Was a little surprised Lance isn't coming off the bench, though he'd be handy with his versatlity, but with the likes of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Beale who can cover plenty of spots, I guess he wasn't necessary.
I agree, Godwin will test Beale's defence, and if Beale wants to be considered a test player he needs to step up. Conversely, Beale could ask Godwin a few questions too.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Beale has never struck me as a 12. Don't see them winning rhe the comp with him there. Attack looks to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd plans.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think we should refer to KB (Kurtley Beale) as playing "2nd five-eighth" rather than 12 or inside centre, since that's obviously Cheika's plan. But I imagine Michael Foley is drawing several circles on the whiteboard around no. 12, to emphasise the channel where everybody from 6 to 13 should be running.

Gutsy call, Cheik. When the flag drops, the bullshit stops.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This will be an awesome game. Regardless of the potential for boring tactics, it will just be exciting to see what the halves in particular can do with such good players around them.

Can't wait for the first high ball, Folau vs The Badger. I know who my money's on.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I'm pretty excited about this one. If we can actually spread the ball a bit and not just play 10 man footy we might be a chance. That Tahs backline looks brilliant on paper, but as others have pointed out -- can they defend?

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
flying over to Sydney for this one
suspect it will be a scappy game with mistakes & penalties galore
On paper we should get a shellacking---but you never know
at any rate,the beers should slide down nicely

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Is it a left field call to put Rob Horne on the wing in attack and switch him with KB (Kurtley Beale) in defence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.