• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Force - Super Rugby R2 Sunday 23 February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Best NSW squad Ive ever seen. On paper anyway. More depth than ever before.

12 is a tough place to defend bu can't see Beale finding it harder than anyone else who hasn't played there.

If you boys don't win the thing this year, you never will.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
faaark, I get a Saturday night free and the game is on Sunday ........................................

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Simple answer, yes. If Cheika doesn't trust Beale to defend his channel he shouldn't be in the team, his form doesn't warrant special treatment.

The reason I ask is because most times during the trials with KB (Kurtley Beale) at 12 he hasn't defended there with either Horne or Carraro switching in field but attacking on the wing, “We’ve seen some things that we can exploit in the backline,” Force halfback Alby Mathewson said this week. “They move players around on defence to protect them. It’s obviously for a reason.”

“I am not worried about that at all. The only reason we have been changing things around (in defence) is to have better shape on counter-attack,” Cheika said.

Does this suggest KB (Kurtley Beale) will defend elsewhere ? A little worried about this.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
faaark, I get a Saturday night free and the game is on Sunday ..............

Need to free up your Sunday arvo then!

It actually works for me, doing Springsteen in the Hunter on Sat night and will be well and truly home on the couch by kick off.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
That is one phenomenal backline. I don't know how they'll go in defence, Godwin will be a good test for Beale in that regard, but I can't think of any Aus back line with that kind of potent attack outside of the Brumbies of old. They no longer have to play "pass it to Folau," because every player is capable of breaking the line several times in a match. The force will have a big headache picking out which players will get the ball and with Skellton and Ryan in the forwards they are not going to hold them up there either.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
I almost had this issue. I've got my Dad's birthday dinner on the northern beaches on Sunday evening so the way I got around being late to that was to invite my Dad to the rugby.

Now we'll both be late!

My Dad's birthday too Braveheart, but he is in WA (me in Sydney) and a Force Supporter so I hope that he doesn't get a birthday present he shouldn't!

That is a strong attacking backline and I am looking forward to seeing the piggies upfront. Potgeiter will be very keen to show some stick in the final 30 I reckon.

My seats are on halfway, getting ready....

'Tahs by 8.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Foley kicked in the trials. Beale had only one kick in the last two trials when he was the only kicker on the field.

McKibbin is the best kicker and kicked with Foley in Newcastle, but he is not starting.

As I have mentioned before, as have others, this could be an area of concern this year, as it was last.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
This is pretty well the team I expected, except for Beale for Horne, Ryan for Kepu, and Crawford for Lance (injured). I also had Hoiles over McCutcheon, but not sure how that's going to play out.

I really didn't enjoy Beale's efforts in Newcastle, bad decisions and overplaying his hand outshone the brilliant support work to put Foley in for a try. He gave Alofa a terrible bouncing pass into the in goal area at one stage, that Alofa was able to turn around through brilliant stepping and amazing speed into a 60m gain leaving no less than 5 defenders clutching at air.

As for Kepu, where is the big story about an incumbent Wallaby being dropped in the first game (like Fatcat last year)? Fair play, Ryan isn't Tilse - though barely a fluter from this selection.

Excited to see several attacking options, especially Alofa. Let's hope he can defend and catch, because otherwise he looks like the new Digby.

Go Tahs!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Excited to see several attacking options, especially Alofa. Let's hope he can defend and catch, because otherwise he looks like the new Digby.
Alofa is a glider and stepper who is not going to burst through the tackles that Digby could, but, in mitigation, he is lighter on his feet and can change direction without losing much speed, better than Diggers.

In club rugby he does a decent job of being the stand-in fullback when the 15 goes up the field (and he used to play fullback in league)—so he would be better than Digby was in that area at the same age. The young Diggers had big problems there when he was at the Force.

As others have mentioned: Alofa's defensive abilities are untested. I can't remember any gaffes in club rugby, the NSW Barbarians tour to Argentina or the two trials I saw recently, but they are small samples.

At least he won't have to go directly again the Honey Badger because they are both right wingers.

Alofa, Beale at 12—the Foley, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) nexus with Folau chiming in…it's going to be interesting if the forwards do their jobs.

And in the pack I'm expecting big things from Skelton and Douglas this year.

Skelton isn't in Kansas anymore and can't be a Tin Man, Scarecrow or a Cowardly Lion. Douglas in pre-season has looked like he is ready to make his mark in Oz rugby and he will have to this year if he wants to make the RWC team, next.

And who is going to be picked for the Force and will the new guys be up to the task, and better, or not, than the guys who held their positions last year?

It's going to be an interesting game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I hope your right Lee, but being sceptical,I predict Foley (Michael not Bernard) will continue his philosophy of doing his best to stop the Tahs actually playing any Rugby.
He will take great delight in stating in the after match presser,that the Tahs scored less tries against the Force then when he was coaching them.

Despite the 36 point winning margin by the Tahs.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think the rebels will appreciate the force putting Lahiff in their front row LG ;-)

Oops - fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
These games never go the way they should. Force always play out of their skin in the first game of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.